Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Network Native

928 prices are rising

Floating this idea, 928 prices are rising out of the range that allowed most of us to buy into the hobby. The ownership demographic is starting to change with fewer DIY people.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Of course. I just sold my 89. Thatís why. Always happens. I sell a car then they start to go up. My last check was rough cars start at $10k. Pristine cars $30plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 11:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
928 Market -

The 928 market has been all over the place for years. Don't know how scientific this is but if well maintained, most long term owners have seen the value of their "Baby" gradually on the rise.

A friend sold his 1985 928 with an automatic transmission plus a 1986 parts car last summer for just over $8k. Both were initially non-running projects. The primary car turned out as about an 8 out of 10 with 122k miles (Odometer Gears ?) showing. The parts car was still pretty complete when all the odds and ends of the project were included but unknown drive train status.

As when selling most finished projects you typically don't dare count your labor. Has anyone else noticed anything ?

I guess I should have also mentioned one additional factor that probably helped move the decision along to sell these two 928's - a new baby was on the way.

Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
2006 Audi A6 Quattro "Howdy Audi" Running Great - Sold

Last edited by JK McDonald; 02-12-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
when i sell one of my cars it has been an increasing price point.
My next project i hope will bring 40K.
Just try to fine one thats well sorted and runs great with all the incidentals done.
Each machine has is anomalies,
but finding one that you can drive today for many years is really where most of the new buyers want to be, thats my experience.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

Five years ago a sharp buyer could pick up a near perfect less than 30k late model for less than $20k and flip it in the low $30k range. Bottom feeders could find parts cars for $1k, and the occasional late model project for well under $5k. Those days are mostly past, for both good and bad.

Parts cars are getting sold cheap to Pick a Part, a bunch of parts have gone to scrap, which is bound to lead to shortages of certain parts, further raising cost of ownership.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Most recent edition of 911&Porsche World magazine market watch discusses transaxle cars finally gaining and in some cases closing the price gap with air-cooled cars.
Nice buyers guide to the 928 GTS too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
There are still so many cars out there that good buys are still available. The dreamers keep reposted their ads with no real buyers in sight. The DIY hobbiest still has a chance particularly for non runners.You can be brave and hang on for top dollar with a stellar car or be patient and shop around for the kind of project that fits your skills and budget. I bought two project cars within the last 6 months, an 83 S manual and an 87 S4 automatic. Both cars had good fuel pumps with relay issues. The 83 has the UNGO devil that fries relays and more, but I went around that for the time being. The 87 has some wiring issues and a leaking water pump that I'll replace before pressing it into service. Both cars were loved until a few years ago when they failed and were left sitting. I am happy to have them both.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
WTF? Usual source of private ads all have insanely high prices on old 928s. However, even some of the not so crazy priced have been advertised for long periods of time and some with continually decreasing asking prices continue to be advertised. I have never seen such insanity in skyrocketing asking prices. These are uber cool cars, but only affordable by DIY guys or thse with deep pockets. Though numerous people appreciate 928s, are they really worth more or ridiculously more than a Cayman S or a 996?
Old 03-07-2019, 07:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I wrestle with the value of a really nice 928 vs an average Boxster.

I know to the people in the know that they are not the same at all, but to the younger crowd who doesn't know about aluminum body panels and the significance of the 928 which began development in 1973, how uber cool the car was for its time... yet a Boxster is also a good performer in the same price range.

But then on the other side of the coin compared to an air cooled 911??
...one of the things that kept the 928 from being a real enthusiast car was that the engine was in the wrong place.
but now, the younger crowd doesn't have the same religious devotion to old beliefs, and a front engine Porsche is cool because it is a porsche.

I think the 928 has such a varied set of reasons that almost no two buyers want one for the same reasons.
And I am really surprised how small the 928 is in size, unlike how they appear in pictures, but this is true of all older Porsches
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html

Last edited by wayner; 03-07-2019 at 08:59 AM..
Old 03-07-2019, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Network Native

928'a have always had ownership problems. Many dealers hated them, and within just a few years of new dealer service was an insane option.

Maybe and a very big maybe, 10% of regularly driven cars are true no issue cars. A handful or so of people pro and DIY know how to make one that way, and a few more handfuls of people have the budget to pay for it.

A really solid 928 is still a very impressive car, and while it once was more of a luxury cruiser in today's nanny car traction controlled world it delivers a more intense raw experience than newer cars.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Was reading through these posts and saw this one. I have owned 10 of these cars from 1993 -2019. From years 78-89 and autos and manual transmissions. I own a few older air cooled 911's and other exotic sports car. To me there is no other complete package comparison out there. It is a timeless design that people today still think is a newer Porsche. I have been through those years when these cars were almost free to purchase and always wondered why? Well the time has come and collectors are finally seeing the 928 and saying wow that car was so advanced for it's time. I sold a 79 5 Speed with around 70k miles 10 years ago for $3,000 and had a difficult time selling it. Now we fast forward 10 years and 2 months ago sold one of my 928's. I sold my red 1979 manual transmission Euro model with no sunroof and 123,000 miles in 2 days for $14,000 to a buyer in Italy. He said he was collecting 1978 and 1979 models for investments. Funny how times have changed. I have 2 other 928's that I will probably not sell with fear that I won't be able to find any others for a reasonable price. Wish I could go back 10 years and buy 20 of them. Probably 10 years from now when they are selling for $70k I will be saying wish I could go back 10 years when they were 15k lol. Sold my 71 Benz 3.5 coupe a few years ago for $40k and I was thrilled..now I look around and similar condition cars are over $100k.. Life is like a box of chocolates..never know what you will get until bite into one. Long live the 928!!
Old 09-10-2019, 11:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: