Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
'84 sunroof question-2nd edition!

Hi,
From my last past I changed the counsole switch, fuse, relay and sunroof motor. I get power all the way to the motor. When I depress the switch the motor goes into action and try's to move the transmission. At this point it get jammed up and the sunroof moves a very little bit. I went back and forth several times thinking that it might loosen up the mechanism. No luck! I took the transmission out and the gear turns slowly when I turn the shaft from the motor. If I try and turn the gear on top of the transmission it doesn't budge. Could this mean that the transmission is shot? If not any suggestions on how to manually open and close the sunroof to see what problems there might be there. I am hoping that a little cleaning and lube and at least that part of the system will work.
So, I am stuck at the transmission. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Tim
Old 06-11-2019, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Tim,
What is probably happening is that the torque of the motor and transmission is not sufficient to move the cables that actually make the sunroof move.

Remove the transmission which will give access to the cables(twisted spring steel). Note the position of the cables before removing. Take pictures. Remove the cables and try not to damage them. You will see that they have 30 year old dirty, grimy, nasty , hardened grease caked all through them. Use what ever cleaner you deem necessary that works to clean those cables. Use that same cleaner to clean the tubes that the cables slide through. Slide the cables into and through the tubes and verify that they travel freely back and forth. Grease the tubes/cables with new low viscosity lubricant.

Re-situate the cables to their respective positions before you removed them. Reinstall the transmission and motor and make sure the rubber connector between the transmission and the motor is not worn out.

Open your sunroof and revel in the glory!!!
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks-that is what I was thinking but wanted a second opinion.
Tim
Old 06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Once you remove the motor and transmission, you should be able to slide the sunroof towards the back of the car, so you can undo the three screws that hold it fast to the outer sunroof (just make sure that you slide it back evenly or it will jam). Pull the inner sunroof out and you can access the 4 bolts that hold the outer sunroof to the sunroof mechanism. Remove them and you can remove the outer part of the sunroof and clean the sunroof tracks and the rest of it.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This will help you further: 928 Tech Tips

Actually, This is a great site for lots of really good 928 info

Theo's 928 S4 - GT - GTS website.

Theo Jennisken is a longtime innovator for the 928.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: