Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

New 1981 928 Owner

Good morning from the Seattle area. My family just adopted a 1981 928 a few months ago and now that it has started the rainy season up here, it is time to get in the garage and start getting a closer look at what we are tackling. We are Audi TT owners also, so we have a little idea of what we are getting into. So far I have dropped the fuel tank for a good flushing and removed the sender unit (for a cleaning) and removed the internal fuel strainer and in the process of replacing all the fuel hoses.

Before I put a battery on the system I wanted to go through and do a quick inspection of the fuse panel and make sure everything is in it's right location. What I found was a little disturbing. I have a melted socket A connector on the fuse panel and I am trying to figure out what Socket A feeds in the electrical schematic. I have all of the wiring diagrams on CD but for the life of me it is hard to track. Does anyone have a idea about what feeds those 8 pin sockets? I figured it is different from year to year but I would gladly accept any help you guys can give. Thanks in advance.

Rodney

Last edited by Torpedoman69; 10-19-2019 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Added pictures
Old 10-19-2019, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Network Native

The good news I think is that it didn't just die, it was murdered by the corrosion, meaning the issue hopefully is local to burned area and not some short hiding far away.

If you have the good set of CD's the wiring diagrams are scalable line drawing that any office place like a kinko's can print on a large format printer, instead of scanned images with pixels that won't scale up. I made wall poster sized images for my model year wiring.

It can also help to go over the big print with various colors of highlighter to make circuits of interest easier to follow.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
The good news I think is that it didn't just die, it was murdered by the corrosion, meaning the issue hopefully is local to burned area and not some short hiding far away.

If you have the good set of CD's the wiring diagrams are scalable line drawing that any office place like a kinko's can print on a large format printer, instead of scanned images with pixels that won't scale up. I made wall poster sized images for my model year wiring.

It can also help to go over the big print with various colors of highlighter to make circuits of interest easier to follow.
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I do have all of the CDs and that is a fantastic idea to have the diagrams blown up at Kinko's or someplace like that.

I do have a spare fuse panel with all the fuses, relays and sockets. It looks like after closer inspection and removal of the fuse panel that damage is limited to the two thick red wires on the back side of the fuse panel that lead down to the bottom two pins on the Socket A connector. I don't see any other evidence of damage. I just have to find what made that happen
Old 10-20-2019, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
"A" Connector Pins A1 - A2

Hey Torpedoman - The "A" connector plug in the lower left of your Fuse/Relay Panel feeds Battery Power from the battery B+ terminal (Designated #30 on your wiring diagram) to the Ignition Switch. B+ power comes in to the "A" connector plug on the primary pins A1 and A2- then out to the wiring harness once the key is turned on.....

Just a guess but with the A1 and A2 pins completely burned up - it looks to me like there was a serious electrical short to ground somewhere after the ignition switch. There will be another cooked circuit somewhere on the car. I'd spend some time inspecting the remainder of the wiring harness before I'd connect any power to your new project.

Don't forget to check to see if the starter is shorted internally....Sometimes a previous owner will hold the key switch in the "start position " (out of frustration) until something begins to smoke......

Keep Us Posted - Good Luck Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"

Last edited by JK McDonald; 10-20-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Old 10-20-2019, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Network Native

Two things to consider, CE panels are modular, the sockets can be replaced, CE panel may be wired differently even for similar models, so replacing whole panels needs some care to be sure they are wired the same, not just same number on some plastic bits that might be used in several model years.

Not saying its 100%, but looks to me corrosion raised the contact resistance and that is the source of the heat and damage, not something distant.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Electrical Wiring Issue -

Hey Torpedoman - How did your search for the cause of the burned wiring in the "A" Connector go ? Any progress ?

Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
Old 10-29-2019, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Sorry folks, I have been out of town on business and have missed most of the replies. I have not made any progress thus far. The fuse panel has been pulled and my next step is to start tracing the wiring back to the starter to see if that is the culprit. This will be a slow process for me. I appreciate all the replies and help. You folks are great!!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Holy cow. I realize it's almost been a year since I last posted. I guess I have been kind of busy. The 81 is running now.

I ended up replacing the entire fuse panel and started a component by component inspection of the car. I found that the previous owner basically murdered the car. I climbed underneath and inspected the starter and all associate wiring and found things that shouldn't be allowed for folks under the age of 18.

All of the cables going to the starter had an obscene amount of insulation missing and there was bare wire everywhere. The battery cable (yeah the BIG one) had two inches of insulation missing and showed burn marks on the frame from where it tried to catch the car on fire.

I didn't take any chances. I ordered a new starter and new wire and connectors and got to it. I ended up replacing the clutch slave while I was under there and replaced the hard line for the clutch with a Goodridge hose and ran it to the clutch master cylinder (what a pain). I also put a master fuse in between the battery and the rest of the car, hopefully (crosses fingers) that will save it, if there happens to be a next time.

I replaced the fuel tank due to carnage from trying to remove the in-tank filter, and replaced the external fuel filter and fuel pump.

The car starts up and runs fantastic now. I found that the brake booster is shot, so I just ordered a new one along with a new master cylinder, vacuum hoses, connectors, a new "blue" hose (because while I am in there, I may as well replace it) and a set of stainless brake hoses. It sucks that I got the clutch slave bled and now I have to do it all over again, but at least I am experienced now.

Anyways, I have a few more things to accomplish on the car before it actually leaves my garage, but so far so good.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Great Job! Sounds like that shark will be in good hands now!

Old 09-18-2020, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: