Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
seat removal question

Hello Folks, its been a while since I have been on here. I have a 86 928s. I'm getting ready to put her on the market. Trying to put some seat covers on her and trying to remove the seats. I removed the front hex bolts but can't find the back ones. i have the seat forward to get access and managed to brake a plastic gear, damn! Anyway I removed some 10mm bolts from the drive transmission, 2 on one side and 3 on the other. Right now it's just the drivers side.. I have a pdf file on the 928 and it says there is some lever and or pins that allow the seat to become manual. I can't find them, using a mirror and even a optical scope. Cant find anything. PLEASE HELP!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
are the seats operable? - can you move them front to back and up and down electrically? - if you can i don't believe you need the manual lever - if not able to move them electrically there should be a lever (see pic) - my phone is upside down but on the 84 this is a picture of the drivers side - the lever is the tube dead center in picture but on the door side in the car - it might be hard to move if the gears are tight - try wiggling the seat back and forth while trying to move the lever - if i recall the actual seat mount bolts are socket head and the front is only accessible when seats are all the way back and the rear bolts when seat is all the way forward - as i further recall it was no fun

Old 11-03-2019, 08:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Honerboys,
Just about ready to take a torch and cut the floor out! LOL. We'll give it a try, see what happens.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, we are still not able to access the release. Cant get too it. We still have the vinal on the side of the seat. It is very tight, the base has bent tabs that appear to the hold the vinal, will try to work this free. The drivers seat was working electrically before i broke the plastic gear, but did not go far enough forward to accsess the rear bolts. i put a 3/8 drive rachet and the hex head and tried to get it to go further forward and broke the gear. i need to get the rear bolts out to remove the seat
Old 11-03-2019, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Okay everybody, this is kicking my butt. We did a google and found some information on Rennslist. 86 apparently doesn't have the release mechanism. Will try hooking up a drill to the drive cable, both sides and move the seat forward enough to get the back retaining bolts out. Shoot me now please. lol
Old 11-03-2019, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
ok - something else to try is to use the seat height adjustment and raise the rear of the seat as high as you can - you might be able to squeeze an allen bit in there and back those bolts out using a 1/4 inch wrench on the bit - a ratcheting box wrench would be best - i might have had to do this for mine on one or two of those bolts
Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Honerboys, I believe its as high as i can get her. I'm having a hard time removing the inbord drive cable, where it attaches into the drive motor. I'm wondering if there is not a stop somewhere, that blocks the seat from going anymore forward. The other option might be to drill
holes in the upper track then remove the back hex bolts. Does anyone have a clue the distance from the back of the rail to where the bolts should be? Would it be the same as the front? I have been messing with for a while, so much for a five minuet job. Shoot me please! lol
Old 11-07-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
the holes in the upper track to get to the hex socket bolts are already drilled - that's the only way to get to them - this is a pic of my outboard drivers side rear bolt hole - dead center in picture

Old 11-07-2019, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
or you can try a setup like this to get to those bolts - but i think this will only work if the seat is as high is it can go from the floor - then you can get the wrench between the upper and lower rails

Old 11-07-2019, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Honerboys, its raised as high as it goes. Like I stated. The seat OBVIOUSLY is not far enough forward. lol That's why I asked if there is some kind of stop. The front bolts were 5-6 mm
hex bolts, got to them easy once the seat was back far enough. Happens to be the same size as the plastic drive gear hex., this is how I broke the plastic gear. CRAP! Now from your picture it looks like your using a flat head to remove the rear bolts, they aren't hex? (I don't know)
Now for the rest of the story! The out board cable is accessible and i can move that side with a wrench on the cable, but i need to get the other cable off and turn them more or less together to get the seat forward. FANTASTIC JOB MY FRIEND, GREAT PICTURE AND EFFORT
Regards p930man I haven't shot myself yet or anybody else lol
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Another interesting point, I probably mentioned I tried removing the 10 mm bolts from the rear drive transmissions, got them all out and still couldn't get the seat to budge. Think there were 3 on one side and two on the other. Big time bugger beares. Since,I have put them all back so not to effect the track movement. Porsche, there is no substitute. I'm thinking that's correct and thinking i'm glad this is only one I have. More sick humor
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
the bit in my picture is a square drive but i was only trying to show you how to set the tools up and that bit was the first one i grabbed - yes you will need a hex bit - those rear holes should be accessible if seat is all the way forward - while there is a limit to forward travel you are probably not there yet - can you see the holes like in my picture? - if so try the wrench setup and see if you can break them loose - you might need a longer bit to reach through the track - that lever in my first picture slides the gear inward away from the outside rail - if that lever has been broken off see if you can slide that gear using a screwdriver - have someone sit in the back seat and push the front seat forward while you're doing that - if the gear doesn't slide inward easy don't force it or you'll break or bend it
Old 11-08-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Honerboys, didn't get to work on her today. Cold and raining and i don't have her in a shop. Even Rosharon Texas, is cold and nasty today. Thanks Gentleman, I will let you know about my progress!
Regards, p930man
Old 11-08-2019, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

p30man,

If you can get that tool on it, you should be able to an angle drill on it. It will probably be a heckuva lot faster to just drill the heads off. My experience in the ones that I had to drill was that as soon as I got the pressure off them, you could screw out the remaining with your fingers.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks everyone, got the bastards out! Need to send some pictures. There was no way to get to the back bolts without moving the seat way forward. I accomplished this by getting access to the drive cables and using my drill alternating from one side to other, so not to bind it up. Got her forward enough to get to both hex bolts, two on each side. Remember I broke the plastic drive gear, do not and I mean do not try to move the seats with you hex and ratchet on the gear. this caused serious amounts of time and cussing. The passenger seat was easier because I pushed on the back of the seat while running the power to move it far enough in both directions to assess the front and back bolts. THANKS HONERBOYS AND STEPSON
Old Today, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: