Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

928 Mention On Jay Leno's Garage

Maybe one day he'll actually do an episode on 928's.

at 2:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvTzcNtaSLU
Old 11-18-2019, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Target Price -

Wow - In the video, Corvette's chief engineer told Jay their 2020 target price was around $60k. With a 6.2-liter V-8 @ 490 horsepower and an eight speed dual clutch automatic - that is a lot of car for the money.

Mercy, there are 26 year old 928 GTS advertised in this range. What do you think ?

Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
Old 11-18-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Network Native

Which one is made out of plastic?
Old 11-18-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Wow - In the video, Corvette's chief engineer told Jay their 2020 target price was around $60k. With a 6.2-liter V-8 @ 490 horsepower and an eight speed dual clutch automatic - that is a lot of car for the money.

Mercy, there are 26 year old 928 GTS advertised in this range. What do you think ?

Michael
That is a big bang for the buck for sure. A lot of car for the money. All advanced technology. I did watch the video. The base car will do 194 MPH. Mid engine, flat crank, over head cams, no more push rods. Dry sump, dual clutch, no torc converter. Automatic only. Hard top convertible. Reasonable amount of luggage space in front and rear. Aluminum frame, composite and carbon fiber body. Carbon fiber wheels. Anything foreign of competitive nature would cost you well over $200K. This new Vett will blow the doors off the foreign competition $ for $. It is also going to be made in right hand drive for the foreign market. Another benefit, it will be made here in the U.S. The engineers at GM wanted to make a mid-engine years ago but the bean counters won out until now. This is going to be a kick ass car for the average guy!
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 11-19-2019, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborman View Post
This is going to be a kick ass car for the average guy!
If it only had round tail lights
Old 11-19-2019, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm65 View Post
If it only had round tail lights
No one cares about that and is of no concern. I would think more about quality control and how fast thing breaks down. Time will tell. I would not buy one until the bugs are worked out and reviews are out. I had a 67' Vett and never even thought about tail lights being round. I hope the car is a success!
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 11-20-2019, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Network Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post

Michael
My serious answer is that I'm not rich enough to spend that kind of money on what won't be a primary car. I'm not even willing to spend that on a primary car.

I have maybe $10k ish in my 83 928, and now that it needs paint and I am finally moving on rebuilding the transmission and putting together a Euro hybrid motor, I will spend that much or more fairly soon. We paid $15k for my wife's 2012 MB SLK350, and so far it hasn't needed much more. Together that is maybe half the cost of the Vette, and despite all the great techy features, I doubt I would have a day to day preference for the Vette.

SoCal the vettes are as common as the VW bug used to be, and while I have enjoyed spirited driving in vettes in the past, the interiors really put me off, and that is where I would have the most interaction with the car. My neighbor has a Dodge Demon, so its not like I will be racing and winning vs anybody on the street.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Network Native

BTW our SLK has the vario roof, similar if not same as vette, and we love it, very little space in the trunk, but otherwise if totally make a convertible a practical option. MB makes it work great, lots of stuff going on in the up and down, so I have to wonder how well it will work for Chevy.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
BTW our SLK has the vario roof, similar if not same as vette, and we love it, very little space in the trunk, but otherwise if totally make a convertible a practical option. MB makes it work great, lots of stuff going on in the up and down, so I have to wonder how well it will work for Chevy.
The new 2020 Vette is a total redesign from top to bottom. It is a MID Engine, so completely different from all previous models. The motor is a completely different design. This is not your neighbors Vette. Check out that Jay Leno video.

Anyway, this summer I picked up a 2000 BMW Z3. What a fun car! I never had so many people complement me on the car, especially women! I made a post on the BMW Z3 section of this site.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: