Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
82 928 euro atm/lsd

Garage
Keep getting fuel in the oil ?

Hey guys Iíve been working on my 82 euro 4.7
And at first I couldnít get the fuel pressure to go over 48 psi because of this frequency valve on the return line. I removed the Valve and now I have 68 psi cold with the line closed but when I start it up it runs and the gauge reads 0 psi and then floods the eng with fuel. I had to change the oil and filter because there was so much fuel in the oil. Iím getting closer but I donít want to dump fuel Into my oil again I donít want to ruin the eng. I pulled out the fpr and cleaned all the lines going back to FD.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Control Pressure -

Hey John - If your control pressure is reading "0 Psi" it sounds like the In/Out ports of your WUR are completely open and connected straight through with no regulating resistance to fuel flow. This may be flooding all the cylinders with fuel and contaminating your oil.

You can simulate the operation of the WUR by partially closing the Test Gauge shut off valve between the FD and WUR until the gauge reads approximately 35 Psi (engine cold). Then as the engine warms up - manually adjust the Shut Off Valve until it reads around the 42-45 Psi mark. Using the Test Gauge and Shut Off Valve to simulate the WUR and control the fuel mixture is assuming that the Fuel Distributor is not bypassing internally.

You should do a Google search on CIS troubleshooting - there are lots of write-ups that can help sort your car out.

Good Luck Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
Old 05-19-2020, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
82 928 euro atm/lsd

Garage
The wur is working because when it’s cold it starts up and runs for 3to5 minutes with the idle kinda high then idles down slowly and stalls then doesn’t want to start after that. I will try that tomorrow and see if that works. I tried pinching the rubber return line and the psi didn’t go up it stayed at zero while it was running. According to what’s in the car I have a Mercedes wur 438140068 instead of what it calls for 438140086. The one in the car could be when it was federalized but not sure. I’m trying to get oscilloscope and gas analyzer so I can try to put back the frequency injector and set up the box in fuse panel. I can’t find a good wur 086 without spending 600 to 1000 for it.
If the return lines are clogged going into the FD will this cause this issue ?
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
82 928 euro atm/lsd

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey John - If your control pressure is reading "0 Psi" it sounds like the In/Out ports of your WUR are completely open and connected straight through with no regulating resistance to fuel flow. This may be flooding all the cylinders with fuel and contaminating your oil.

You can simulate the operation of the WUR by partially closing the Test Gauge shut off valve between the FD and WUR until the gauge reads approximately 35 Psi (engine cold). Then as the engine warms up - manually adjust the Shut Off Valve until it reads around the 42-45 Psi mark. Using the Test Gauge and Shut Off Valve to simulate the WUR and control the fuel mixture is assuming that the Fuel Distributor is not bypassing internally.

You should do a Google search on CIS troubleshooting - there are lots of write-ups that can help sort your car out.

Good Luck Michael
I went out to the car today and tried what you said to do and it didnít work the car would shut off. It did run for 10 minutes and while trying different things I pinched the rubber return line the cars idle went up and when I let it go it went back down with no movement on the gauge it stayed at zero. It runs and revs when I give it gas but after giving it gas it kinda dies and then runs rich on start up again but I get it to run.
I think this wur is either no good or i need the correct one for the car
Iím trying to get a gas analyzer and oscilloscope to try get everything in spec.
Thanks for everyoneís help Iím almost there
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Contol Pressure -

Hey John - The key to regulating the amount of fuel delivered to the motor is your WUR "Control Pressure". When the engine is 1st started your CIS Test Gauge should read approximately 32 - 35 psi for the "Cold Control Pressure". As the engines warms up, the WUR "Warm Control Pressure" should gradually climb to around 45 Psi. Have you verified these two pressures ? Until the Control Pressure is correct - you will never get your car to run properly.

Along with testing the control pressure line between the Fuel Distributor and WUR, as a troubleshooting step - the CIS Test Gauge and it's shut Off Valve can also be used to manually regulate the "Control Pressure" by gradually (partially) closing the "Shut Off Valve". As the "Shut Off Valve is moved you can tweak the final Warm Control Pressure to the desired 45 Psi. This will keep the center plunger inside the fuel distributor open just enough for a rough 900 RPM @ idle. This plunger is delicately balanced with the (control pressure on one end and the (Pressure Relief Set) system pressure on the other end. Then as the throttle is opened, the Air Plate Arm inside the fuel distributor begins to precisely move the plunger to send the correct amount of fuel to each cylinder.

At this point it is a bit early to worry about the Idle Mixture (3 mm Allen Head Screw) O-Scope, Frequency Valve, Emissions Adj, etc....

Michael
1975 911 Targa "Blue"
Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
82 928 euro atm/lsd

Garage
When I turn the key it shoots to 65psi cold with the gauge closed and the fuel pump on. I tried to crack the line to 45 psi but it wouldn’t start unless I open the gauge completely. What’s funny is that the car ran for ten minutes with gauge at zero. I can rev the motor and it responds Pretty good but loses its idle when I do. I was playing with the co mixture and what I did was turn it ccw til I heard the injectors turn off and cw til I heard them turn on. I was told I should be close. When I had the car running I pinched the return line and the idle went up. I’m picking up a Snap-On tool that has a gas analyzer and oscilloscope because without it I cant see what’s going on. I’m guessing it’s the wur because according to my car I should have a086 wur and what’s in there is a 068 wur which is a Mercedes application. The car doesn’t look like it was tampered but maybe switched when it was federalized. I’m going to connect the gauge to the wur inlet line and the wur and connect the line which has a regulator update thing on the side of the throttle housing

Old 05-22-2020, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: