Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Tyres for the 928 s4

Hi everyone

I'm sure this has been addressed however I have not seen any updates to the recommended tyres list.

https://www.928.org.uk/6-2009-recommended-makes-and-types-of-tyres-for-porsche-928-models.html

currently Im running the continental contisport contact N1
front 225/50 r16
rear 245/45 r16

For UK weather they are fine but was wondering if anyone had any new updates from Porsche regarding recommended tyres

I'm struggling to fine these tyres. Plus they are not very fuel efficient either.
I would like to keep them N1 rated

Old 02-10-2021, 01:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The rear 245s are the tire that's becoming harder to find. Many options for the fronts, but you don't mix brands so you're stuck with whoever makes the rears.

Everyone has an opinion and here's mine...

N1 rating and Porsche recommended are really not that important. It's part marketing and part CYA for sustained speeds you'll probably never see. As long as you purchase from a trusted name brand manufacturer, you shouldn't need to worry about N1 rating or Porsche recommended. And buy the tire that fits your driving conditions and style. Why buy a Mich Sport Cup 2 if you're just doing w/e drives in the rain? Since you live in the UK, it would be wise to buy an all season tire, which would give you enough performance and be good in less than idea weather like cold and rain. Continental makes an excellent all season tire but I don't know if they make it in 245/45/16. As an alternative to that size, I went 225/50 on all four corners, as the 225/50 wasn't that much different in size and gave me a wider range of options.

Now, what oil do you use?
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - winter project

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-11-2021 at 07:00 AM..
Old 02-10-2021, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hi Husker Boxster

Thanks for your input and I agree with you. Porsche quoted me 1390 for all 4.

Not N1 rated but Pirelli p zero N5 rated.

I think Ill just shop around as I'm looking for more comfort and fuel economy than top speed And more importantly less noise.

I just picked my car up from Porsche this week end it had gone in for a service they have been using 10w50 after doing an engine flush every time

Last edited by Big Load; 02-11-2021 at 01:54 AM..
Old 02-11-2021, 01:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pirelli is one of the few manufacturers that still makes a 245/45 and they're very proud of it. Toyo is about the only other manufacturer that has one too. I bought a set of Firestone Indy 500 tires, all 225/50s, for $515 out the door. I would have spent 3X that much for a set of Pirellis in the proper size. Would my shark be 3X better? I highly doubt it.

BTW...
I was just kidding about what oil you use. Sometimes when you offer an opinion, like I did in my post, it can generate quite the debate. Maybe to the point of keyboard fist fights. Some people may feel very adamant about N1 & Porsche recommended. I don't. I figured since I might be sparking some debate with my opinion on N1 and Porsche recommended, I'd add to the fight by sparking an oil brand discussion too. That always gets people going. Just my sick sense of humor.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1987 928 S4 - winter project

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-11-2021 at 07:17 AM..
Old 02-11-2021, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
now let's talk about LS conversions...haha
Old 02-11-2021, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
lol dahhhh!!

Why can't I fit through my sunroof if I want to escape quickly
Old 02-12-2021, 02:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
tyre change and alignment

Hi all I need a quick input on my up and coming possible problem

I am having all four tyres changed this Saturday along with balancing and 4 wheel alignment.

now I have read up about the correct procedure for doing this, however I was just checking which of the points below is correct or not:

1. With the old tyres on have the 4 wheel alignment done then change out the tyres and balancing

2. have all the tyres changed then do the alignment after driving it for 10-15 min (or 100 miles)

3. Change out all the tyres and do the 4 wheel alignment straight away

help with a quick response please
Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i've always heard (and done) that you should have the alignment done with your new tires on the car - the problem is these cars (at least my year) cannot be aligned properly if they have been lifted off the ground (like to put new tires on) - you must drive the car a bit to settle the front suspension back to it's normal position - i've found very few shops that will do the alignment the way the service manual says to do it - i had a place tell me they knew how to do it then i burned the front tires off in 3000 miles - so you might want to split up the tire mounting and alignment by a few days - and make sure the shop doesn't lift car to "inspect" before starting alignment
Old 02-17-2021, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Hay agreed

dam I just wanted to get the job done and move on

thanks honerboys
Old 02-18-2021, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
just a thought can I not get the company to pull the suspension back down??????

I presume to the correct ride height. Would that work to do the alignment at the same time then f they could
Old 02-18-2021, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
yes - there is a porsche procedure to do that - just not sure if any non porsche (or porsche for that matter) can do it anymore - if i remember i had my tires mounted at a tire store - drove it home and around the block a few times - then drove it to an independent shop about 10 miles away - they did a great job on it - have about 6000 miles on tires now and wearing evenly - a pain to do it this way but after the first attempt i wanted it done correctly - maybe you can find a shop that will figure it out - good luck

Old 02-18-2021, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Honerboys that's excellent thanks I ask the garage if they can do this otherwise i will have to take it for a drive for 15 min before trying the alignment

Will let you know the outcome tomorrow
Old 02-19-2021, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Load View Post
Hi everyone

I'm sure this has been addressed however I have not seen any updates to the recommended tyres list.

https://www.928.org.uk/6-2009-recommended-makes-and-types-of-tyres-for-porsche-928-models.html

currently Im running the continental contisport contact N1
front 225/50 r16
rear 245/45 r16

For UK weather they are fine but was wondering if anyone had any new updates from Porsche regarding recommended tyres

I'm struggling to fine these tyres. Plus they are not very fuel efficient either.
I would like to keep them N1 rated
Tirerack has about the biggest selection.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 02-20-2021, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
ok good news with some interesting points to note

I had my tyres all changed out to Pirelli p zero N5 rated and WOW I HAVE TO SAY THIS WAS THE BEST CHANGE IN DRIVING I HAVE EVER SEEN ON THIS CAR.

Each bit I fix whilst restoring her gives a small improvement but not as must as changing the tyres.

My tyres granted where probably 10 years old and cracked around the edges.

The ride was so harsh that it felt like I was constantly driving on a train track. Silly me I thought that was what it was like

The ride became softer with less rattle in the cabinet. Much better grip and the car turned the corners more level.

My 2 pennies is don't wait for the last minute to change your tyres granted I did still have 3/4mm on each tyre.

What I did notice though was the rear right drivers side arch was very close to the tyre compared to the other rear side. I would scrap my finger on the tyre and arch. where as I could put my hand between the tyre and the arch on the passenger left side.

Could that be because the fuel tank was full as I was going to do the alignment? or do you think my strut or shock is failing after 30 years use

Anyway I'm happy with the tyres so far and am going for the Hunter alignment tomorrow morning Wish me luck

Last edited by Big Load; 02-23-2021 at 03:09 AM..
Old 02-22-2021, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
so go on tell then what do you think.

They have set the alignment up for the UK camber of the roads. att tyres set to 36 psi

Is this the correct setting?

I have attached the before and after picture

I must say the steering is still a little out and the car is drifting to the left still but not as much as before I had the tyres and alignment done. Possibly another cause????? I am sitting on 30 year old strut and shocks

Last edited by Big Load; 02-23-2021 at 03:37 AM..
Old 02-23-2021, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
i'm not sure of the actual settings - the important thing is they don't lift the car before aligning - if they did then the settings that your seeing on that printout will change when car settles back down - i believe it's mostly the toe that goes out of spec
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
They lifted it correctly on a flat Hunter bed, rolled it back then took the initial readings.

Adjustments to UK road camber where taken into consideration and alignment adjusted.

I still feel the car is sloping to the left and the steering is off centre to the left by 3/5 degrees.

I may go back and request they tweak it so it does not pull to the roads camber and see what difference that makes to the driving.

But I am a happy bunny as it is a world of difference already

Old 02-24-2021, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: