Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Network Native

Drained the oil today, concerned I may have gotten coolant down down the breather, refilled with new oil and coolant, cranked twice for 5 seconds or so (fuel rails were empty), kicked over on the third try and settled into a nice VERY quiet smooth idle.

Very smooth, nice power with no glitches of any kind. Next thing to do is check and set the CO, and run it through smog (timing belt broke a few days before test was due).

I still have a bit of a heating issue, at least according to the pod gauge, but the electric fan seems to be working better. Next week I plan to look at temperatures closely with an IR meter and a thermocouple probe.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

well it gets deeper and deeper..i got the spider off and discovered that the throttle body is loose...I'm more amazed that this car was running at all.
So i ran back into the house to get the pictures you posted here..in the manual it just says "remove bolts"..but it's hard to tell from my greasy mess which bolts are actually holding the thing down..so from these pictures it looks like the 4 bolts hold the throttle pipe to the "U" and the U is bolted to the engine

and i thought i might get away with changing a few hoses!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Network Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdog4 View Post
and i thought i might get away with changing a few hoses!
ROFLMAO

The U mounts to the valley with I think either two or three rubber stand offs, like a stud with a rubber cushion in the middle. All of mine were bad and came apart. I'm told a new bit of rubber can be glued to the old parts, but I used new ones (and still kept the old bits for some future need).

I'm sure my engine is quieter, the injectors seeming noisier, so I must have had air leaks out the wazoo.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

well i got the throttle and U-piece off...one of the "bonded rubber buffers" was indeed broken (can't imagine they couldn't have come up with a better scheme than that)

at least 1/2" of greasy gook in the valley (where does all that come from?) Rotten hoses everywhere, so now am going down the list to figure out what replacements i need. I cant find anyone locally selling metric hose but i did find a place online that sells Continental OEM hose (even the braided stuff)..so i'm making my shopping list
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Network Native

Do you see any signs of coolant leaks around the crossover bridge?

With the throttle and U off and clean, take them with you down to a parts store and see what size hose fits. For the hard lines and rubber couplers, just get a kit from Roger100.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

not sure what you mean by the "crossover bridge"..but i have not found any coolant leaks so far. Just lots of rotten air hoses.

I've got to remove the charcoal canister and get all those lines (or at least what's left of them) off. After cleaning the throttle body up I'm almost convinced one of the vacuum ports on the back side was clogged up, which might explain why a P.O. had cut the line off and added another "T" to the other port. I also noticed the idle microswitch must have shifted in that it does not engage even with the throttle wire off.

The other fun thing that happened was my vacuum hand pump developed it's own leak..so as I was checking all the different valves, dampers, etc etc i was depressed thinking they were all bad..at least i thought to check the pump before i bought all new parts
Old 08-05-2008, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Network Native

Hard part to clean on the throttle body is the lower shaft with the two opposing springs. It gets badly gummed up inside and sticks, just take it apart CAREFULLY so you know how it goes back together, orientation of the springs etc.

After cleaning my throttle body I blew it off with compressed air, then immediately heavily sprayed it with WD40 and then blew that through all the bearings and out, then sprayed moving parts with HHS 2000 and wiped the whole thing down again.

That idle switch not making proper contact means no idle loop for the brain, so it should run MUCH smoother I think.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

thanks for the tips...i've emptied a couple of cans of throttle body cleaner on it so far. today finally found a local shop with the small vacuum line (made in Germany even!)
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Network Native

Just read this today, the throttle bodies have o rings in the body on both sides of the butterfly that should be replaced as well.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=446728
Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

i knew about the large one between the throttle body and the U-pipe..but not those..darn i almost hated to hear that, now more work to do
Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Network Native

The way I look at it, my 928 may not have shiny paint, but its got new o rings on the throttle plate shafts.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Old 928 Guy

yes, but i am terrified of anything i have to take apart that has springs..
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Network Native

These springs aren't "very" strong, but you WILL want to make note of the clocking on the parts, and on mine the spring tension was a half rotation. Pliers scar the spring, so use a proper hook and pick tool if you have it.

*** RE terrified of springs, you would NOT like taking apart the transmission.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

1981 thrpttle body has 3 ports, can't find thermal switch

It's been 10 years since the last post hopefully somebody will see this. In the process of replacing the green wire the vacuum lines disintegrated. I bought vacuum line but can't figure out how to connect the distributor advance.The diagram show a line from the throttle body to a tee, which in turn draws from a thermostatic valve and draws from the outside of the distributor advance.
Old 08-31-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Maybe this will help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-forum/431676-928-vacuum-line-routing.html#post5432659
Old 09-16-2018, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: