Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
What happened to the UBER wide body kit? Was that abandoned or are there any updates? Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
There is a dream to get both race cars to the track for test in this season and start campaign with them in next season parallel with our 911 race campaign.

The building and especially bodyworks of both of our 928 racing cars have gone slowly but progressively further, but haven't had time to post here (got some three kids in short time, youngest now 9 months) as I am now also building new house and apparently bigger garage
I will post some shots soon.

I haven't given up of widening this blue 928 also (as I have been using it in track days to tease occasionally GT3 cars): with proper 928 Motorsport Koni/Hypercoil suspension (700# front, 500# rear) its track speed is limited by front wheel grip, so we will work out also the moulds for front archs to get 285-30-18 acceptance also to our 'narrow' GTS-kind of bodies: to my blue and to my brothers S4 street and S track car. To those cars we are using GTS rear archs for rear widening.

The ultra wide will be complete one off as the others will be moulded one design parts. For this particular racecar I am following with great interest 928 Motorsport proceeding now their 6 speed C5/6 transmission project . It would be great extension to widebody biturbo setup.

Last edited by petri; 06-17-2014 at 12:38 AM..
Old 06-16-2014, 11:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Network Native

You should look at the C6 version's from Dinsdale as well. "Just Peachy" OB/LS3 Hybrid
Old 06-17-2014, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for noting it. I've been informed by 928 Finn colleaques about Dinsdale stuff and I have looked it through in rennlist. His version is also under consideration. I just don't know him as I have been a client of 928 Motorsports for a long long time. Transmission case will be due for us in next spring, for 3 sets of 6speed manual arrangements. First we finish these cars as they are coming out now, then we add transmission packages.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Long time no post of this ultra wide project. My small kids (1 & 2 & 5 years old) have been affecting to my time to build with other positive life issues, so this forever project has matured again... Anyway here is enclosed some old pics when having everything finally in glasfiber form at last summer and polyurethane form fillings are finally gone (the doors still have the filling in these pics, but the fiber doorskins are already formed and placed also since). Since these pics I have worked for stiffening parts by adding some fiber layers to crucial locations (here you see almost transparent thin fiber lamination to keep it lightweight) and adding the aluminum supports pieces inside laminated parts for joint purposes. I want to have fast attachments of body parts for racing pits. Since these robust pics surfaces has all got the top coat cover (as some areas in pics already have) for final sanding before painting.

I decided to go with GTS form rear arch curve edges as they fit better with front arch curve edges even if I was keeping the S4 rear arch edge form quite long in my design. Also the soft dent in rear arch makes the 2050mm wide rear body to look more refined I think.

Front corners will be opened in one-77 style for air (as I will have the air intakes and filters for both turbos in front corners) and the outer edge of front archs will continue down to wide front splitter part which is still missing in these pics.

The curvy forms of front archs are trying to maintain similar smooth convex and concave forms of front edge as in original 928 front archs, even if in wider form (max body width 1980mm in front axle). I think this outer form of front arch from convex to concave form is probably the most beautiful and characteristic form of 928 in my opinion and therefore point of saving also in wide body design.

Side skirts are going quite much below the floor with vertical inner surfaces to create some tunnel effet under the car with becoming floor plates.

CCW wheels I will be using for semislicks and 13" wide wheels will fit easily under even with maximum 400mm wide semi slick tyres. The offset is quite the same as 930 RSR of 935. The wheel in the pic is just set to place and not mounted with bolts as the rear hub behind is not in place as we are servicing them now.

Strosek OZ wheels Will be one of my slick tyre sets and as widened to 13" will accommodate 400mm slick tyres in rear. Front tyres will be 285mm in 11" wheels as if I don't want them wider when testing. Front archs do accept tyres up to 315mm if necessary. Front offset is quite similar to 930 RSR / 935 front offset, which allows me to use same racing wheels in this car as I am running our other 911 projects with some thin spacers to do final adjustment.

As having max 2050mm rear body, with max cambers in rear (like 3,5-4,0 degrees if necessary) even the most widest tyres do stay under 2100mm maximum width (FIA GT1 regulation), so the rear is as wide as it can be according to European racing rules. Front axle max width is only 1980mm as the front scrub radius must remain reasonable (with standard front arms, and not moving complete front suspensions with attacment points more outwards) and therefore making wider front archs than this, doesn't serve any sensible meaning at least for me.

Next I try to put our racing suspension (front #1000lbs, rear #700lbs) back to car to get it on wheels to check how everything fits when ride height is set to proper racing height. Then if everything fits, and ground clearanse of side sills is about 50mm (European rule for minimum), I finish surfaces of the parts and the final attachment fitting to car can be done before final sanding and painting. Hopefully these are my last pics from our 'barn tent' and we can move this car after painting to continue building indoors in our clean workshop...

Last edited by petri; 12-02-2014 at 12:44 PM..
Old 12-02-2014, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
When working for my 928 race car I have been thinking of alteration of weight distribution towards the rear axle to have rather 55/45 for the rear than 50/50.

Therefore I got crazy idea :
-to swap complete engine water cooler system with electric fans to the rear of the car: intake from rear windows and through door sides, exit the air from rear end
-to locate air intercooler to front instead of engine cooling
-rotate plenum and maf 180 degrees towards the front
-put two turbos to front corners for a short air tube distance from plenum to minimize lag.

Also I got grazy idea to use automatic transaxle with manual gear box and move engine rearwards (obviously this will cause fire wall alteration and or movement to rear), but this is worth research I think.

Last edited by petri; 01-26-2015 at 09:40 PM..
Old 01-26-2015, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
The ultrawide bodywork is going to paintshop, here some pics before last layers of top coat:

Old 01-26-2015, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Nice! Keeps those progress pics coming!

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)
Old 01-27-2015, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Network Native

Radiator and coolant weigh maybe 30 lbs, moving it to the back requires two big hot hoses. On the bad idea scale of 0 to 5, this is a 3 or 4.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
996 Turbo has cooling capacity of appr. 24L as if 928 has appr. 9-11L depending on model. 996TT is having its engine in rear and cooler in front with longitudinal cooling lines: I was thinking of using those particular Porsche cooling lines as they are themselves as part of the cooler. All our 928s have had to refurbish with larger new cooler for performance use, to say 928 standard cooler (at least when it is aged and its plastic parts are ripping of from aluminum core) is not enough to do it. I should redo front also to this car and as if running twin turbo setup I am concerned I probably must use both front and rear cooling to make car capable of driving continuously in endurance type racing. As I have been thinking also the location for intercooler and turbos to make that arrangement as short and as simple as possible, so I tought that even if I can't get rid completely of from front cooler, I could do it considerably smaller to fit intercooler to front. I am very well aware of the cool air advantage in front centre, but this I found as on of the options to solve twinturbo+intercooler problem. We are looking also other otions.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
Network Native

Total coolant isn't what is moved, just radiator contents, most stays in the block, all the connections are in the front.

Air to air intercooler is simple, I've always liked the idea of freon based chilling.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
I've yet to see a single body mod done to a 928 that improved it's looks. All those imitation air holes looks absurd to me.

Of course, adding a wing to an OB sometimes can look cool.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
I am well aware of coolant in different engine locations, thank you for noting. I have been keeping up my 928 cars since 1990 so I have some kind of experience of this car.

My prior idea for the intercooler for this car was water (or other liquid) to air arrangement with liquid coolers in rear for intercooler system), turbo located in rear corners of the engine bay and way more conservative solution. Only the problem with any liquid to air system is with keeping temperatures down during long time hard driving - rather like multiple hours under anger than single drag strip or hot lap time attack use - the experience even by professional racing teams has had very problematic to maintain reasonable temperatures. And actually because of this rear cooler idea for liquid to air intercooler I got to the idea to move the part of the primary cooling system to rear which brought me the option to use front location to proper and sure air to air ic and also consider the relocation of becoming two turbos.

For racing turbo arrangement the most important thing for intercooler is helping the engine remain in reasonable temperatures as if it is also important for adding sheer power. This was clearly seen already in group 5 in seventies. I havent seen too many 928 turbo setups, which can be driven hours in anger. My dream is to make one.
I have plenty of turbo experience with my 930 Ruf BTR technology based K- jet system and my Ur-Quattro B group rally car with fairly old fashioned turbo arrangements. So I have thought this experienced method would be less risky way to do a 928 biturbo for racing purposes from one of my 928s.

I agree with the unsuccessful history about the body mods done: I am doing my widening project not for looks but for track cornering performance. Therefore I try to keep it as original looking as possible. I agree there was no reason to try to alter 928 to testarossa or other but what she is as herself. But everyone who has need to fit really wide tyres under any 928 knows it is not an easy task without wheel arch alteration, because of the very special ET especially in front.

I can' t say if mine is going to be any better looking, but I want to race with wide slicks and believe me I would have bought a complete set of ready wide body parts if I would have found great one. And believe me I have been looking these options for more than 10 years. Strosek is the best I found but quite not good enough in 928 wide body sets even if he succeeded way better with 911 in various versions. Sacrifying of one of my 928 cars is not the end of the world as I also have one very original early S with other more modified ones... to say this thread wasn' t for restauration of classic anyway but for widening 928.

Last edited by petri; 01-31-2015 at 10:12 PM..
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
For the engine management I have been researching differencies between K- and L-jet(with L-jet here I mean MAF-systems without lambda and other sensitive elements, it can be possibly Lh or LH-jet officially, but for me LH-jet has lambda included to program elements, L-jet with potentiometer is unfamiliar to me and never seen one though) arrangements. Standard air flow order in N/A is:

Air Filter > MAF or potentiometer > throttle valve > plenum

And in standard turbo arrangements like 930 and 944T and all OEM setups in world:

Air Filter > MAF or potentiometer > turbo > intercooler > throttle valve > plenum

I know in modified applications has done succesfull L-jet or modern management systems with arrangement:

Air Filter > turbo > intercooler > MAF or potentiometer > throttle valve > plenum

But I have a belief, that this latter modified arrangement wouldn't work properly with K-jet application, so I desided to try to make the 928 S K-jet twin turbo arrangement according to the 930 RUF BTR arrangement I have in my green:

Air Filter > potentiometer > turbo > intercooler > throttle valve > plenum

I haven't found any other made 928 turbo version which would have this standard arrangement. If any one has or knows such arrangement, it would be great to hear experiences.

However, this is what I am aiming with my K-jet 928 S twin turbo application:
something new must happen under the plenum, so this is my plan: I am going to rebuild a exit part for turbo lines after potentiometer and locate turbos and intercooler before throttle valve as sketched here:

930 has similar exit in its K-jet turbo system, so I check if I could use factory 930 oem part or if I have to make my own part for 928 K-jet body.

Or because of tight exit option in top of 928 engine, maybe my own plan of exit part would be more proper:

Last edited by petri; 02-13-2015 at 02:12 AM..
Old 02-12-2015, 11:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
Widebody 928 coming. Slowly, but not forgotten . Rear width 2100mm, fron width 2080mm. Can accept any size slick tyre ever made . I am making this one off now as a very thin glass fibre construction: each element is very lightweight. Surface now is sandable primer paint. same parts (door panels and skirts are one round back from wheel arch parts, but eventually all body parts exists now in their final construction form.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
looks great , VERY nice
Old 08-27-2016, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

In for updates, I'd love to purchase one of these kits from you when they are ready
Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Long time no posts... this project has gone further, now with my new engine builder (now finishing my 911 RUF engines back to zero hours) he will build this biturbo engine for me and I am now working in final stages of bodywork as well as suspension setup for huge slicks... I will post some pics of today.

I think I prepare first these very thin and lightweight originals and we testprove them in racing before considering other production. I have been concentrating to my other car projects (npw 14 cars in my garagre, 6 of them Porsches), there is some exiting things coming out.... . I got finished a modern era 996 RSR with factory carbon bodywork prepared for street use and even possibly for rallying in parallel with my track oriented activities etc... That project can be read here 996 C2 RSR street - track - rally

So my three 911 cars don't need now too much of a building attention, so I can continue finishing my 928 cars and my ur Quattro rallye project.

So my three 911 cars don't need now too much of a building attention, so I can continue finishing my 928 cars and my ur Quattro rallye project.

Here is one od my 928 engines for other car already done to zero hours with some natural aspirated mods:

... and I also got my Ducati 996 Troy Bayliss Replica totally restored...

I am all the time building cars and bikes for me, this project was a while in waiting list, but this wide 928 is again back on my do list, so stay tuned for more posts.

Last edited by petri; 03-06-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Old 02-15-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
One of our 928 S4 engines (to 1988 S4 black with dark red leather) totally overhauled and slightly tuned (upgrade camshafts, X-over) engine is now build back together and waiting our installation to engine bay... (air pump delete will still be done, even if it is still in these pics).

Next 928 engine to be totally rebuild right after this will be my 5 Liter S3 to be modified with 928 S4 heads, still running S3 camshafts and larger S3 intake manifold and with stainless exhaust headers and X/over. This way I can rise compression great way and get better inhale and exhale for engine... After this we get to that 4,7L biturbo engine ... probably before summer still .
Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
For our three 928 S and 928 S4 cars, which are going to be "mid wide bodied" with 928 GTS rear fenders I am finishing these casting mould originals for these 2" wider front fenders to make them look like original, but accommodate 265-285mm front tyres with as original outlook of body as possible... These are already in their final stages... You can see original fenders under these wider formations, and you can see the amount of widening compared to final form reformed on top of them. These parts will be multiplied, so to say there will be professionally made moulds for production, as soon as these are once installed for final fitting test, because I will need already 3 sets of them. That super wide 928 body is then different thing.

Last edited by petri; 03-06-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: