Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
928 bolt-on (or glue'n'smoothen) wide body kit + front splitter and side skirts

This is a story for developing a 928 conservative style wide body kit for our racing purposes as well as for our fast club racing street 928 cars. Story begins here and now, I enclose some pictures of the goals to reach:

Here is a photoshop sketch of the goal we try to reach.
-front splitter and side front air intakes for brakes.
-wide body a sort of GTS-style wheelarch parts but gently wider
-side skirts with exit-route for engine bay cooling as well as rear brake cooling intake

As a platform for the body parts I will use my oldest 928 I've owned and pushed hard among my other fast cars since 1990. The maximum offset for the wheels will be same as 930 / 965 / 964 RSR Wide body.

This means for instance following setups under the car:

regular 928 about ET57-60 wheels (+25mm spacer) with up to 255-265mm wheels front / up to 295-315 wheels rear

about ET45 wheels (+10mm spacer) with up to 255-265mm wheels front / up to 295-315 wheels rear

about 930-wheels ET25-35 or so (no spacer) with up to 255-265mm wheels front / up to 295-315 wheels rear

Here some pics of my 928 as sample with regular S4 body with 930 Strosek OZ-Racing wheels and 255-35-18 front, 195-30-18 rear. These will be covered with our becoming body set.
Bolt-on they are and they are not: bolts can be left visible or hided with body glue & sanding, but of course large part of the old wheel arch must be cut off. My car is very low, in pictures it must be supported for measuring with these now too wide tyres, therefore you understand the stupid too high Cayenne like standing position.

Other body works I have already done or which I have under process you can view here:

Story of my Strosek 911 RUF Turbo with frontbumper and sideskirts of mine
Strosek 911 RUF finally back and kicking!

Story of my Strosek 964 RS wide body front bumper and sideskirt project
930 - 965 - 964 RSR front bumper & sideskirts

Story of my downforce plate project for my 911 cars and in future to the 928 cars as well.
Diffusor bottom plate plans for 911

We have 4 928-cars to finish with these, so the production for the multiple parts will be reality already for our own purposes.

If you are interested, stay tuned.

Last edited by petri; 04-13-2009 at 09:44 AM..
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Network Native

Wow, S4 without a sunroof, impossible to find in USA, and its your project car.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
As 6'4" tall that is the only one for me to fit with the racing helmet without racing seat completely on the floor... This car is not any more completely original (haven't been since 90ies), I've been beating it hard, so it doesn't have collection value, like most of the 928 anyway doesn't if they are not some special spec or rare ones. No crashes or accidents, but lots of upgrade during the years in mechanical side (engine, suspension, brakes etc. etc.). And I have some plans for this engine (928 so called S3 5,0L 32V but with long intakes and low compression (excellent for couple of turbos in the future). Because of owning this one for over 19 years I want to continue its development as my dream car (as one of 10 dream cars of mine) in my garage. That matters me more than any value of this old used car could have, which probably wouldn't be too much in euros today.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Project continues slowly, thanks to the rush in daytime job.
Project has expanded to two versions:
A. 'regular wide body kit'
B. FIA-2000 millimeter wide 'max ewide body kit'

Some project pics form both:
My blue 928 will work as a base for 'regular' kit (and as an addition to change to Strosek outlook same time with front bumper, side skirts and wheels)

and racing car chassis will work as a template for 'max' kit

Old 10-01-2009, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
More pics of 'max' kit under process. Standard 928 is about 183-186cm wide, this will be 2000mm rear, 1980mm front.

More pics of 'regular' kit under process. Normal GTS fender is 20mm wider than standard S4, this will de 30mm more. Also front wheel archs will be 30mm wider than standard 928. When archs are fitted and finished, we make moulds for these wheel archs. These changes the possible ET measures to accept 930/965/993Turbo offset wheels and wider tyres under the car. The goal is maximum 265/30/18 front, 325/30/18 rear and average sizes 255/35/18 front and 295/30/18 rear.

Becoming front splitter will be bolt on to all S4 up applications by remowing rubber part from beneath, but it won't fit bolt-on to Strosek nose presented here.

Last edited by petri; 10-11-2009 at 01:04 AM..
Old 10-01-2009, 02:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here is enclosed upgraded photoshops about goals

These two racing 928 cars will be built, 'regular' for my brother, tha 'max' for me .

Also I photoshopped the blue what it will be for street:

Color won't change, even if my photoshop has wrong color scheme, but you get the idea of the shapes and wheels.

Existing dark blue leather interior will be retrimmed with additional black suede in combination with cognac brown seats etc. This is a sketch of the becoming scheme.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

looks awsome...keep the pics coming !!!!!
1987 944S- GT3 BODY CONVErSION RED/BLACK( sold )
2003 MERCEDES E500 Sport "Einfarbig"
Old 10-01-2009, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Very ambitious, will be fun to watch similiar to the SA project.

Thanks for sharing.

That Fuchs type wheel on your green/black pshop looks good.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

some other ones out there

Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Wow, S4 without a sunroof, impossible to find in USA, and its your project car.
yeah D..... look even closer:

no sunroof, no rub strips, and it's a ROW.

(of course it's a ROW, being in Finland, but interesting just the same)

--R

Bill Maher 8/4/09--- "I'll show you Obama's birth certificate, when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."
Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for mental support. That red Strosek lives also here in Finland (at least it did, I don't know if it is sold or not) and I think it is one of the very excellent samples of Strosek 928 cars.

I bought my car 1990 with a personal help of Hans-Michel PiŽch (brother of Ferdinand PiŽch as you know) when I lived in Austria 1989-1993. He helped me to find a car I particularly wanted: a manual non-sunroof 928. I'm very tall and with helmet no way to fit to my brothers 928S4-88 with sunroof. So this is the very car he got for me from the local Porsche club member who wanted to change to the brand new 928.

I've been driving with this car probably more than 500k kilometers around Europe, it used to be my every day car for more than 15 years. In the end of the 90ies I switched the engine to this 'S3' 32-valve US-spec low compression engine, because of purpose to make it to be twin turbo some day. Now, after servicing me as an excellent ride for a long time, I think it is time to transform it to what I wanted it to be already for a long time. I will do the bodywork, interior and low very stiff suspension ready at first and then we get into the engine department.
It still will keep the same original blue metallic as I've so used to it during these 20 years. And my friends and clients here in Finland recognize me about the same car, they have been driving 10-15 different cars since... OK. they do know that I have many other cars, but still the impression of long durability and lasting legacy works

The base car for 'max' S4-87 was also very nice clean green metallic 928 to buy for a race car purposes. Somebody would say, it was too nice car to slaughter it and put in pieces for racing car, but my policy is, that you put so much work and money to build an excellent race car, that there is no point of doing it to the old ruined junk yard car but rather to excellent condition car.

These pics are from 2002 when I bought it, drove to Finland and started to put in pieces.

The 928 racing car project sort of got frozen then (2003-2008), because I bought some other cars (one of those is green Strosek 911 RUF turbo, I've been writing here in 930 section, that other grey Strosek 911 3.6 and UR-quattro A2 Rallye etc.). Now those cars are finished and kicking (except UR-quattro), I can finish the 928 projects finally now.

Last edited by petri; 10-02-2009 at 03:00 AM..
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I knew that the red car was in Finland, it is one of the best looking bodykits I have seen. And notice the wing? It looks good on the red car. I see you are planning a large wing.

The S4 wing never looked good imo, kinda out of place. I think this wing style from Jacquemond is the best wing for a 928, same as the red car. In fact this whole car from Jacquemond is the way the 928 should have been updated in 87 instead of what porsche did.

Another view of the red car showing the wing

Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

the same style wing again, 928, even a super wide needs a subtle wing

and here is a good looking wide body kit but the wing is NOT good

Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

the jacquemond car from the front

A link for all known 928 mods

thanks to BC Davis

Porsche928
Old 10-02-2009, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
928forlife: now you must be very specific of the origins: The red is clean original Strosek by Vittorio Strosek as well as its rear wing. not Jacquemond-Strosek copy(Vittorio is a student of Franco Sbarro, a famous swiss car designer, who is a student of Luigi Colani, even more famous designer in history etc.).
Jacquemond forms are originally copies of the Strosek Widebody forms (don't ask how I know this), and he has developed some frontal and other minor design modifications of his own and named the whole bodyset under his own name, but for instance that rear wing is really originally Strosek part (see: STROSEK DESIGN). There is available only some of the designs which existed in 80ies and 90ies. I wouldn't go for a replica if I can get the original. As an architect and designer myself I hate copycats. And even if he would make changes, he should give some credit for the original designer... Sorry, I'm quite serious with this issue.
You can recognize original Strosek parts from the labels laminated inside of the parts and from the absolutely excellent quality. I wouldn't go with such a copy product as Jacquemond if there is original alike available. Different thing is if I woould buy something of his own design apart from Strosek copies.

But I agree with you that there is many body parts in the 928 body which could be upgraded better than factory did. That's why I want to change my car to be Strosek now, after many years. But I want to built the wheel arches by me more accurately like original factory GTS except wider, because I don't like that much of the lots of higher opening of the wheels arches of Strosek (or in copy-jacquemonds). I do like the simple Strosek front and smooth side skirts.

I must admit after copying basic forms Jacquemond did some goodlooking front bumpers.

Last edited by petri; 10-02-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

OK. I have no stake in a Jacquemond-Strosek battle for design rights.

I will only say that the car above with the license plate "7031 W 69" is the best looking 928 in existence followed by the 928 S2 I posted in another thread with GTS hips then followed by all Factory S2's.

After that it is all less by a matter of degree. These widebodies are not an improvement on the original but an interesting exercise in self expression. Some good, many ugly.

Yours looks tasteful. There is a car done by Pierre in South Africa that looks good for a wide body;

Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petri View Post
I bought my car 1990 with a personal help of Hans-Michel PiŽch (brother of Ferdinand PiŽch as you know) when I lived in Austria 1989-1993. He helped me to find a car I particularly wanted
Perhaps you can have him convince his Brother to bring back the 928 in this updated form

In fact this is the kind of rear I would like to see some talented person build as a project instead of another retro 80's silicone implant.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, I agree Porsche should make a Grand Tourismo front engine 2 seater to their model range, but I think it should be something rather more exciting and radical 928 was in late 70ies early 80ies than average 2 door family car with similar looks than all the others.
928 never was a conservative choice in car industry and if there would be a next generation child for 928, it should be also something we don't yet know. 911 has a history and reputation of interpretation of same existence again and again. The great issue of 928 was the great indifference with all other cars of its time, slightly same way I think Miura did it in its own time, exept Miura never really functioned even if it is absolutely gorgeous and beautiful base for a Super Car.

Ferrucios fantasy was to build a better qualtiy and comfort as Ferrari, but with a superior speed and performance, not to build a racing machine. Lamborghinis in those times in some way answered to that question when they were their best form (last ones of the Miuras, best ones of the Espadas, best ones of the Countachs).
Somehow 928 was born 20-30 years before Vanguish, 550 Maranello etc. front engine beauties with same functions, comforts and performance and more as an answer to Ferrucios question of radical outlook, reliability, performance and absolute comfort. More or less 928 succeeded better in the category it was produced than any Lamborghini in the meaning Ferrucio originally meant.

Therefore a new 9238 should be something similar for this day: something radical and overwhelmingly well engineered piece of an item we haven't seen yet and magazine photoshop wizards can't quess by remodelling modern Porsche details in 928 kind of composition. That is why I don't buy your picture of the becoming 928 as a radical enough rather than too similar to all new jaguars, japanese crotch rockets etc... Don't take this personally .

Therefore I concentrate only to fulfill my fantasies of the form and function I think 928 would have been properly build for Group 5 rules it would have been very competitive even those times with stroked engine and right kind of race composition, if somebody would have dared to finish it properly.

And I build my street car as a Strosek I have dreamed long time it should be.

And build a GTS racer for my brother he has dreamed for a long time to be aside his gorgeous black street 928 S4-88 with red leather

Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Petri, you have the most beautiful looking car going and I admire your work greatly. Please keep us posted. Your sense of proportion and overall impression is really good and actually carrying out a plan is something special.

BTW, why are we posting all these non-Petri cars?

79 928 Racer 427ci 32v 640WHP
Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by petri View Post
Ferrucios fantasy was to build a better qualtiy and comfort as Ferrari, but with a superior speed and performance, not to build a racing machine. Lamborghinis in those times in some way answered to that question when they were their best form (last ones of the Miuras, best ones of the Espadas, best ones of the Countachs).
Somehow 928 was born 20-30 years before Vanguish, 550 Maranello etc. front engine beauties with same functions, comforts and performance and more as an answer to Ferrucios question of radical outlook, reliability, performance and absolute comfort. More or less 928 succeeded better in the category it was produced than any Lamborghini in the meaning Ferrucio originally meant.

Therefore a new 9238 should be something similar for this day: something radical and overwhelmingly well engineered piece of an item we haven't seen yet and magazine photoshop wizards can't quess by remodelling modern Porsche details in 928 kind of composition. That is why I don't buy your picture of the becoming 928 as a radical enough rather than too similar to all new jaguars, japanese crotch rockets etc... Don't take this personally .

Very Well said. That photoshop is 1 of 2 that I like amongst a lot out there. I like to see some reference to the 928 in the design. But I am open to any design as long as it shows some history of the 928, headlights, tailights ......... But Porsche is under new leadership now and new economic realities, who knows what they will do if anything.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: