Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EIPtuningR32
What Specific Fuel Lines Are These?

hello, as you can see from the pictures below, i have a couple of buggered up fuel lines. i have tried searching the big three for the specific lines with no avail. they are the two steel/rubber lines on the passenger side of the car. is there any specific name for these fuel lines? any help would be greatly appreciated.

That criminal under the hood is a really bad influence on me: "hey...what about another 1000 rpm? And you know, we're doing 75...but I can go 100 and you'll hear my beautiful voice a lot better! Lets go baby..."
dammit! I'm such a slut~ N! -Normy
Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Hi EIPtuningR32
i dont think you can buy those lines anymore..if you can...let me know...i got mine made up at a NAPA store...remove the lines..(need to climb under the car for 2 lower ends with 17mm 19 mm..)then carefully cut the crimps off...take the end fitting to a NAPA store (with measured hose length)..ask for high pressure 5/16 fuel line..i tried to use the metric line...but these fitting are a little smaller than the lines by the fuel tank and will slip off the fittings once crimped..(i know, i tried and gas everywhere!)...just get Napa to crimp them with new collars...and your good as new...cost me $5

Last edited by american-kiwi; 07-14-2009 at 07:19 PM..
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to EIPtuningR32
Quote:
Originally Posted by american-kiwi View Post
Hi EIPtuningR32
i dont think you can buy those lines anymore..if you can...let me know...i got mine made up at a NAPA store...remove the lines..(need to climb under the car for 2 lower ends with 17mm 19 mm..)then carefully cut the crimps off...take the end fitting to a NAPA store (with measured hose length)..ask for high pressure 5/16 fuel line..i tried to use the metric line...but these fitting are a little smaller than the lines by the fuel tank and will slip off the fittings once crimped..(i know, i tried and gas everywhere!)...just get Napa to crimp them with new collars...and your good as new...cost me $5
your a life saver Kiwi. literally.
That criminal under the hood is a really bad influence on me: "hey...what about another 1000 rpm? And you know, we're doing 75...but I can go 100 and you'll hear my beautiful voice a lot better! Lets go baby..."
dammit! I'm such a slut~ N! -Normy
Old 07-15-2009, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
your welcome...thats why us guys are here...to help each other out
just remember which line was which!!...ones a little longer than the other ,feed and return, and they cant go either way as ones a male..other is female fitting
What i did was..buy the line...took it home...made the lines up how i wanted them...and then took them to the NAPA store and crimped them

Last edited by american-kiwi; 07-15-2009 at 03:22 PM..
Old 07-15-2009, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

It is essential that you use EFI hose and not Fuel hose.
The existing lines are push fit only over barbed fittings. Once you replace the hose use the correct EFI clamps to hold the hose in place. This will allow you to tighten up the fitting as the hose takes a set.
I am not a fan of the crimped fittings as they can leak.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
EFI clamps will not hold the fuel pressure on this EFI hose...and how do i know this?...as thats what i did first too using 2 clamps on both ends they lasted about 30sec's...and blew off...has to be crimped!

Last edited by american-kiwi; 07-19-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
A Wrench

Quote:
EFI clamps will not hold the fuel pressure on this EFI hose...and how do i know this?...as thats what i did first too using 2 clamps on both ends they lasted about 30sec's...and blew off...has to be crimped!
I've not had that issue on the dozen or so I've installed.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

John,
With respect you are totally wrong on the EFI hose.
SAE30R9 EFI hose is the only hose to use in this application and made specifacally for this application.
The early CIS cars are higher pressure than the later cars and this is the only fuel hose that will meet this criteria.
All my 78 to 84 cars are using this hose as well as many of my customers World Wide.
We also use the same hose on the 85 to 95 cars and again these were push fit only with a cosmetic sleeve which in no way was crimped.
YOU MUST USE EFI HOSE AND CLAMPS - Nothing else. The push fit hose is satisfactory with the barbed fittings and was the standard for all cars of this era.
The addition of the EFI clamps is for additional redundancy.
Roger

Last edited by ROG100; 07-20-2009 at 10:13 AM..
Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Hi..i agree on the hose..im not arguing about that...but to only use a EFI clamp?!!!...then why did Porsche use crimped ends on these lines?...i tried what you said when i replaced these hoses couple months ago when they cracked from being too old and dry...those EFI clamps will not hold up to 75PSI!...(the return line is fine with a EFI clamp...no pressure on that side...but i must disagree with you on the clamps!...unless you enjoy engine fires like i had!! 2 in fact...(i was lucky and being safe with car in the garage...had the fire extinguisher ready )...because the lines blew off the fittings..remember there are 2 75 PSI pumps pushing that fuel down that line....not trying to be a smart ass..but good luck yo you!...i've seen cars go up in flames..it all over before you know it!!...its a sad sight watching a guy crying..as his pride and joy burns to the ground...i work on cars all day long...im a cert'ed toyota tech.

the other thing to remember...EFI clamps are used on injectors (lines)....on the low side of a pressure regulator...not on the high pressure pump side of the line
my 78 had crimped (steel collar) lines..i had to cut these off with a die grinder.
..i just looked at my 82..they use a diff' fitting..like you say with a loose collar..but a much smaller hose from the 78's

Last edited by american-kiwi; 07-20-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A Wrench

The clamps do the same thing a crimped fitting does, it clamps down and press fits the hose to the barbed fitting. Pretty simple. Sounds to me like you didn't tighten down the clamp. or you used the wrong clamps.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Just so we're all on the same page here, when you tried the metric size hose with the EFI clamps, that is when you had a problem.

What I'm getting from all this is that 5/16" SAE30R9 EFI hose will work if you use either EFI clamps or crimped collars.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Network Native

I'm puzzled by the clamp failure. I've used HF clamps on 150 psi shop air lines and haven't seen a failure. In what manner are your clamps failing?

HF = Harbor Freight $3/box of assorted.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
they were just blowing the line clean off the fittings with 2 clamps on each ends..it also did this at the 2nd fuel pump fittings, in the wheel well...thats when i had to start replacing all the fuel hose...soon as removed the pump up in that corner...the original lines cracked
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Network Native

Wild guess on my part, but with FI hose the inside is plastic, if the hose wasn't a tight fit for a smooth fitting, cranking down on the clamp might not make it any tighter.

5/16 hose has less than a tenth of a sq in of cross section so 125 psi would be maybe 12 lbs of force.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
A Wrench

If you go buy the GoodYear J30R9 hose, it has that blue plastic liner inside. I won't use that stuff.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
If you go buy the GoodYear J30R9 hose, it has that blue plastic liner inside. I won't use that stuff.
What about the liner makes this a bad hose? Not all J30R9 hose have the liner?
Old 07-23-2009, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Heavy Metal Relocator

Garage
a much simpler fix for this issue is to go to your local Caterpillar, John Deere (or other farm implement) dealer and have set of hydraulic lines with metric ends made up---250-300 psi burst rated hydraulic lines will get the job done...

Parker Hose can build these as well.

--Russ

Bill Maher 8/4/09--- "I'll show you Obama's birth certificate, when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma."
Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Porsche Crest

EIPtuningR32-

Hopefully you have resolved all of your hose concerns by now.

I just came across this thread and thought I would pass on a few comments....

Look carefully at your hoses, particularly at the hose connections. If they have metal sleeves that are crimped, you have a rubber hose.

It appears that the supply & return hoses shown in your photos have crimped sleeves and therefore are rubber.

The fittings used with this hose are designed to be crimped. A TEMPORARY fix is to use a proper & correct Fuel Injection hose clamp. Do not use a HF clamp of any kind.

The CIS system itself uses plastic or Polyamid hose (tube), and this is NOT meant to be crimped.

This is "push-on" design using a specific assembly tool only. The hose barbs are designed to bite into the plastic and are a permanent connection good for over 100 psi.

The larger diameter CIS lines are rubber covered Polyamid and use sleeves that are NOT crimped. Its likely that the sleeves are there to keep the rubber covering from peeling back.

I have been making up replacement Fuel & Oil lines for Porsches for more than 20 years. All of the ones shown below are crimped and use only original German Metric hose & fittings.

If you would like any additional information please feel free to email me.

Len at Autosportengineering dot com

Last edited by BoxsterGT; 01-10-2010 at 05:06 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hi Len,
Nice looking hoses but a little OTT for the application. Hoses on the 928 were push fit as were most of the cars of that era. The ferrule was mostly cosmetic and did not bring much to the party with regard to swaging the OD of the hose onto the barbed fitting. In fact in most cases the ferrule will spin on the hose and shows no swage marks at all. Why they did this I have no idea and can only assume cosmetic reasons. I am talking about new from the factory hoses.
As recomended SAE30R9 hose is perfect for this application with working, proof and burst pressure far in excess of the pressures seen on the 928 (80psi & 55psi). This hose was designed for this application.
The use of higher spec hoses is a waste of money unless you have a modified car seeing much higher working conditions.
All the flexible fuel hoses on the 928 can be replaced with SAE30R9 5/16"alnd 3/8". The use of the 15mm EFI clamp completes the perfect solution.
Can be purchased from your fav local auto parts store and for those that need the complete packge we sell kits for individual MY cars.
Lots of tutorials available as well to help.
Anyone needing the tutorials drop me an email at roger@************

Last edited by ROG100; 01-10-2010 at 07:19 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

Len, do you have specific experience with the 928 hoses? They are doublewall. They do not have crimped connections, but instead have pretty caps that function exactly as proper HP fuel injection clamps should on a barbed fitting.

Not saying your hoses won't work.

Just saying the clamp solution is reasonable and proper from an engineering perspective here, where you seem to express it is temporary.

Last edited by Landseer; 01-10-2010 at 07:39 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: