Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1991 928 S4 Transmission leak

My '91 S4 is leaking transmission fluid from a couple of areas on the A/T box in the rear. Can I just top it off once fixed? Does the transmission have to be in gear and wheels spinning to fill properly? Thanks. Chris
1986 911 Carrera (bad-ass)
2014 Cayenne Platinum (daily driver)
Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
before you drive/run the car you need to find out where the leaks are, it is possibly either a loose filler cap a split pan gasket.
A leaking front O ring seal or TC radial seal( this comes out of the grate)
Or leaking cooler lines, if you can get the car up on a lift this will make diagnosis much easier.
If you can identify the leak please report back.
To fill the trans you would first start the engine then run the shifter through all of its selections. with the park brake set and your foot on the brake pedal, put the shifter into neutral for a second or 2 before putting it back into park.
Then with engine running you would fill the tank to the correct level indicated on the tank with the car running and the trans in park
Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It looks like the fluid is leaking out at the bolts holding the pan on and possibly a small amount from the fitting just back from the pan.
1986 911 Carrera (bad-ass)
2014 Cayenne Platinum (daily driver)
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If it's leaking from around the bolts holding the pan, chances are that the gasket between the case and the pan is crushed and the bolts may have been overtightened. This would be a good time to fit a new filter and gasket there. Make sure before you reassemble to place the pan upside down on a flat surface to see if it has been deformed by overtightening.

The other location you describe would be an "O' ring on the tube with the big white connector. That should be hand tight only. What happens is that gets overtightened and the "O" ring gets cut and slightly frayed, and then leaks.

Both of these are relatively inexpensive to fix.

Another note: I always make a point to remove the reservoir and clean it whilst I have the opportunity. I then tighten the cap tight while it's off and easy to access. I then add fluid through the access point on the bottom of the transmission that has the nut-looking thingie. If you remove that, you can put a hose on the connector there and use a pump to pump fluid into the system, bypassing the headache of adding it through the cap.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm changing my ATF fluid on my 83 S this week, got all the parts. I was told the capacity is just under 6 qrts. I've got the directions and the pump....oh....do i just use standard transmission fluid. I was also gonna put a qrt of Lucas in there cuz in the winter the tranny shifts hard when under freezing for the 1st 5 mins....It might be just the old tranny fluid....
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: