Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

calibrating the WUR?

Okay, got the WUR operating again (removed inlet screen filter, soaked in carb cleaner, shot compressed air through it, changed out o-ring under metal plate) and now I am ready to calibrate it. Any tips on how to do this? Both http://www.landsharkoz.com/images/pdf/wurfix.pdf and Warm up regulator (WUR) Calibration - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum say WHAT should be done, but not so much HOW to do it. I am going to have to buy a gauge set since I don't have one; any suggestions? Any tips or tricks you guys have picked up along the way that I should know about in carrying out the procedure??

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
'79 928 Euro 5 Speed

Garage
I used this link to adjust mine. Hope it helps....

Warm up regulator (WUR) Calibration - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
Old 04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Morriss...been a while since i did this...you need to remove the round disc cover on the WUR, there is a Allan key inside it..thats what you adjust ,while you have the gauges hooked up to the system

Last edited by american-kiwi; 04-11-2010 at 06:09 PM..
Old 04-11-2010, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
'79 928 Euro 5 Speed

Garage
I bought a nice pressure gauge set from JCWhitney

Hoffman Fuel Injection Tester for C.I.S.-K-Jectronic Bosch (R) Systems 123617 | Compare Prices and Product Reviews on Become.com
Old 04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I bought this kit too...its junk...i think it lasted about a week before the gauge fell apart...i did get my $$ back with the shipping cost too...the last time it tried to work...the gauge was running like a stopwatch...dail was spinning around and round...lucky i got my car to run before sending it back...
Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Okay, so which brand gauge set? This one Tool Aid 33865 - C.I.S. K-Jetronic Fuel Injection Tester with Case ?
I've heard mixed reviews on the JC Whitney.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
it works fine once or twice...but dont over do it..i was working on my 78, that thing was a real headache...took me a couple weeks to sort out the CIS...by the time i was done...so was the gauge set...it went out when i was doing the adjustments on the WUR...sent it back..got refund..so i was happy
Old 04-12-2010, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
whats a WUR
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwmac View Post
whats a WUR
Warm Up Regulator
Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Dano - Did you buy the one from JC Whitney? If so, how's it holding up?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss View Post
Dano - Did you buy the one from JC Whitney? If so, how's it holding up?
Yes, mine works perfectly. Both rjm65 and I have used it multiple times and it's working flawlessly. Not sure what everyone is talking about. Albeit, it's not a $500 Gauge System.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Morriss....im not saying dont buy it..just a friendly warning that mine from JC'W didnt last...they have 100% money back, so use the hell out of it..then send it back..lol
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Or just come borrow my HF gauges, and we can see how long last compared to JCW.
Petrol Blue '79 EURO 5spd, Black & brown Pasha Int
Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Tim - I will take you up on your offer. I'll call you this evening.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Dano - I saw on your site that you ended up needing some brass washers when you dialed in your WUR. Do I need to pick up some, and if so, what size?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss View Post
Dano - I saw on your site that you ended up needing some brass washers when you dialed in your WUR. Do I need to pick up some, and if so, what size?
Brass washers for the connectors? Show me a link as I didn't need any brass washers.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
Brass washers for the connectors? Show me a link as I didn't need any brass washers.
Ok Fellas, I think I got it. No more leaning on higher rpm's. Gonna do some freeway testing tomorrow since I ran out of daylight.

Here's what I did:

1) Took WUR apart via instructions I found online last year. This is also where I got my readings I needed.
2) Cleaned everything exept the very thin round shim. I just held it in place as I Carb Cleaned the whole half and then blew it out with a compressor.
3) I removed all the little filters that are in the inlet part (must have been 3 or 4 of them) and junked them. I figured if dirt got this far then funk it.
4) I tapped the Regulator out of the casing about 1/16" since I knew my control pressure was high. If I was wrong, it's an easy fix by tapping it from the outside while it's mounted.
5) Reassembly and put silicone grease on the rubber ring that seals the 2 halves.
6) Connected the CIS Gauge and started it up and had to shut it down since i couldn't get a good seal on the adapter and WUR this time and gas spraying everywhere like beer piss. Gonna try again another time with a brass washer, but couldn't find one in my Garage.
7) Removed the Gauge and hooked everything up as normal. Started it up and let it warm to normal temps.
8) Adjusted my A/F to 14.7 and took her for a quick drive. My A/F used to lean out to 17-18's at high rpms, but now stays around 14.7 + or - 1. I am freaking loving it. Car sounds better and accelerates a lot better too.

We'll see how it goes on the freeway runs. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

My previous post is kinda confusing; that's a post of Dano's from a while back, not my car. I still have not calibrated my WUR yet.
I made a video of my 928 starting and idling. The cracking/popping/clanking sound you hear is coming out of the tailpipe; remember, my WUR is not dialed in and neither are the A/F ratio or timing, so it's idling kinda ifee right now. Here's the link:

YouTube - porsche idle.rv
Old 04-13-2010, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Ha ha, I thought all that sounded familiar. Yeah, you don't need the brass washers as I was stating. I just didn't have it hooked up right. In the kit, there are small o-rings which will be enough to seal it up.

It sounds very very close. What does it sound like at higher rpms?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
Ha ha, I thought all that sounded familiar. Yeah, you don't need the brass washers as I was stating. I just didn't have it hooked up right. In the kit, there are small o-rings which will be enough to seal it up.

It sounds very very close. What does it sound like at higher rpms?
Not sure, I've been hesitant to rev the engine much since I've got three things that are out of adjustment. Since the only thing that I really messed with (besides removing the clogged inlet filter) on the WUR was replacing the o-ring, I should be fairly close, like you said. However, before I parked the 928 last Oct. to go through it, the car took about 10 minutes to completely warm-up. Is that issue related to the post that holds the bi-metallic strip on the inside, or the pressure regulator?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: