Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
Leo, Have you read the PO post in the 1st of this thread? He had oil blow by when he got it started finally. He shut it off after 30 seconds. The consensus here seamed to be a possible head gasket failure or something with the valves(stuck?). I thought pulling the motor and heads would be a good idea and pray that nothings wrong with the cylinders and piston heads/rings. I don't know anything about this stuff but my hope is to replace the head gaskets and hoses,tb,etc, clean up then drive off into the sunset.
Sorry lost momentum as the 1st post says nothing about blow by.

Anyways, a stuck valve is a stuck valve and maybe it can be un-stuck by running it a little. How would it hurt?

Also, you should read my 54 pages of my Project. I took my car to a local German mechanic to see if he could get me some A/F reading as and set it so I could pass smog. Well, his suggestion for a little white smoke when cold was to rebuild both heads because they were most likely cracked. I said funk that. A year later and I haven't seen that white smoke in almost a year. Also, had low compression in one of my cylinders, guess what my readings are now? Run it and see what happens. Also, like I said, do a compression test. All that stuff I mentioned your going to have to do anyways if you pull the engine.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

At least get it turning by hand.
You can pull the intakes and see the valves move. Or not.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Leo, Reading your 54 pages a couple of months ago is what started this 928 restore fever I have. The stuff you have done looked very interesting to me and what better car could I possible do all this work on.And I can get free advice. The oil blow by info from the PO is in the "blue" additional info stuff at the start of the thread. It says"finally got it started". Gunar
Old 05-09-2010, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Gunar,
I think what Leo is saying is that these cars wake up slowly. You may be getting blue smoke because the rings are stuck. Running the car COULD unstick them, clean out the injectors, and help any one of a hundred things. These cars do not like to sit unsused.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Progress report- I am almost ready to pull engine. All I have left are the 2 top bell housing bolts. I have been removing things, accessing, cleaning and painting. Slow process but I haven't torn anything up yet. Looking through the top intakes the valves look and move good. Hopefully I'll be able to remove the heads next week and see what it looks like. My goal is to just clean up and reseal the engine and everything else.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I took several pics of things- Can you guys tell me how things look-
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Looking good. Have you priced out how much the Engine Gasket Set is for your engine? If I remember correctly, kinda pricey. plus if you have the heads off, might as well get them serviced. Might as well this... Might as well that... It will never end.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage

exhaust needs a little work like most things
Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
brakes look kinda ok

Old 05-27-2010, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
needs replacing- with what though?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
primary muffler looks ok

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
does the bolt in the middle of the crossmember have to come out to pull motor?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage

why aren't these 4 bolts removed to separate engine instead of the front of the bell housing 4 bolts? these seem easier to get at. Maybe the block + bell housing back would get in the way during the lifting process.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Old 05-27-2010, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage

All the glass is in great shape (once I got all the purple window tint off)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Network Native

I think pulling the clutch still on the motor is common practice, since messing with the clutch alignment can be a bear. Did you put in those bits of wire to space the clutch when you took it off?

Little box in the exhaust is just a resonator. I would put in a new exhaust, X and dual cats up front and a muffler of what ever flavor you like in the back. This is a nice one, and Roger sells them at a good price.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
I think pulling the clutch still on the motor is common practice, since messing with the clutch alignment can be a bear. Did you put in those bits of wire to space the clutch when you took it off?

Little box in the exhaust is just a resonator. I would put in a new exhaust, X and dual cats up front and a muffler of what ever flavor you like in the back. This is a nice one, and Roger sells them at a good price.

I did a lot of research and removing the clutch seemed like what people were suggesting. If you look at my picture of the clutch plate(does it just have just 1?) it looks like it's getting close to the rivets so maybe it needs replacing anyway. You can see the thick wire spacers I made in the back of clutch picture. I used some really thick wire that was very hard to work with but I wanted it thick to take up all the gap. I am trying to not go too crazy with the money- Car never had cats(Euro). I don't need them in North Carolina do I? I would like to fix/use this exhaust. It appears to be the factory dual pipe according to PET 6 and is probably stainless steel.
It had a new starter
Old 05-27-2010, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage

some of the cleaned up components- I had the alt tested and it was just below the green zone(12). Maybe replacing the regulator($30) will help or a rebuilt alternator is around $100.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
compressor was filthy- not now- Hope it works
Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: