Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Next pic will be with the engine out I hope
Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
1 more- closer view of the clutch plate- should it be replaced?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

You need to store your viscous fan upright or the viscous will run out of the intended place that it is in and then your fan won't work and your car will overheat and then you'll have to do all this work all over again.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepson View Post
You need to store your viscous fan upright or the viscous will run out of the intended place that it is in and then your fan won't work and your car will overheat and then you'll have to do all this work all over again.
I read that from Merlin or Dr. Bob last week(he said clutch will loose it's clutchiness). I thought how I have it hanging on the wall (in its natural position- like it sits in all the 928's in all the world all the time)is the correct way. In what position is it supposed to be stored? Upright? Does this mean fan horizontal or vertical? Gunar
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
store the fan clutch the way it sits in the car and no problems if you were to lay it face down then there is a good chance the fluid could drain out
Old 05-27-2010, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Looked at your picture again. (I swear I haven't been drinking, occifer!) I thought it was laying on a wooden floor. I didn't realize it was hanging on a wooden wall. My apologies!!
You got it right. The fan blades should be vertical when storing.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepson View Post
Looked at your picture again. (I swear I haven't been drinking, occifer!) I thought it was laying on a wooden floor. I didn't realize it was hanging on a wooden wall. My apologies!!
You got it right. The fan blades should be vertical when storing.
I was looking at the picture and I thought that's what you may have seen...funny
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Your clutch plate looks fine, just check both bearings, thrust and pilot, ensure they run quiet and smooth, and put it all back together.

Gaskets are expensive, but after many years of exposure to coolant due to the open top design of the block, the head gaskets are probably very shabby looking!
Your call ... mine didn't fail till i pushed 7 psi of boost into it.

Great to see you getting in there and having a go, I look forward to the continuing story.

Cheers Roy
Old 05-28-2010, 12:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
What about the ring tooth notches? They look fresh. I was thinking I'd put it back in till I get the car running smooth then replace it with the clutch later on when the clutch is more worn out. What percentage of the clutch do you think I have left and how many miles do they typically last? Thanks-Gunar
Old 05-28-2010, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
clutch plate-what percentage is left?
Old 05-28-2010, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
clutch plate-what percentage is left?
The workshop manual has the clutch plate wear limit info in it - it involves measuring the depth of material at the rivet holes, although I can't recall the wear limit.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
I would replace that flywheel while you got it out. A good used one from 928 intl or equivalent. Looks like the PO liked to start the car while it was already running 9starter gear shaves off flywheel teeth).

Also, that clutch plate looks pretty close to the rivet. Why wonder the percentage? It's out and ready for you to replace it.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Definitely measure the clutch plate wear. IIRC the pads on the clutch plates are not very thick to start with. Yours may be okay, although they look bad.

Replace that ring gear for sure.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

The WSM says this about inspecting through the hole in the base of the bell housing (note for later single-plate cluthes its different).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop Manual page 30-2
2. Visually inspect position of release lever.
The wear limit has been reached for cars up to and including 1982 models when
front edge of lever just appears in inspection hole.
Beginning with 1983 models there were changes in starter installation and inspection hole location.
The wear limit has been reached when front edge of lever reaches end of inspection hole.
Of course, that doesn't help you much as its already disassembled. But here's the measurement you can do with the disc out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop Manual page 30-23
4. Check lining thickness of clutch discs. Measure
distance from lining to highest point (rivet) on
all four linings. Replace clutch discs when less
than 0.3 mm.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

With regards to a 928 clutch, I would not replace anything untill it is completely screwed. It is the work of 1 1/2 hours to remove a clutch from a 928, you can do it yourself, and I'm sure you have a thousand things on your car where the money could be better spent!

Leave the clutch well alone and fix things that are not working, first.

Don't worry about the ring gear, when an engine stops, it generally stops in the same position every time,sometimes more than one but always in distinct positions, thus when you restart it the starter engages in the same place every time and slowly the teeth on the ring gear wear in that area, after 30 years the teeth look like yours, I reckon you should be right for another 60 years at least! I've not had a flywheel off, can it be bolted back on in a different orientation? thus moving the worn teeth away from where the starter engages.

Most manufacturers will unequally space the flywheel to crankshft bolts to ensure that they are not bolted in the wrong orientation if it is critical.

Good luck, I can see that sorting the sense from the nonsense on this forum is going to be one of your challenges for this resurrection.

Cheers Roy
Old 05-28-2010, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Hey everyone, Thanks for the feedback. These forums are amazing. Yesterday I had never really even seen a clutch until I successfully (and safely) removed one from my new Porsche. Funny! Maybe I'll get a WSM someday. Gunar
Old 05-28-2010, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
With regards to a 928 clutch, I would not replace anything untill it is completely screwed. It is the work of 1 1/2 hours to remove a clutch from a 928, you can do it yourself, and I'm sure you have a thousand things on your car where the money could be better spent!

Leave the clutch well alone and fix things that are not working, first.

Don't worry about the ring gear, when an engine stops, it generally stops in the same position every time,sometimes more than one but always in distinct positions, thus when you restart it the starter engages in the same place every time and slowly the teeth on the ring gear wear in that area, after 30 years the teeth look like yours, I reckon you should be right for another 60 years at least! I've not had a flywheel off, can it be bolted back on in a different orientation? thus moving the worn teeth away from where the starter engages.

Most manufacturers will unequally space the flywheel to crankshft bolts to ensure that they are not bolted in the wrong orientation if it is critical.

Good luck, I can see that sorting the sense from the nonsense on this forum is going to be one of your challenges for this resurrection.

Cheers Roy
Huh? Sense from non-sense?

Ever had a Clutch Disc shatter on you in the worst possible time? Did you also know that if the starter gears spin on that area shown, it can also break teeth on the starter itself?

Sometimes common sense prevails. I go with "if it looks bad, then it probably is."

Sorry if I am off base here, but I think this forum has lots of good information. No need to make users feel as if they shouldn't participate.

Last edited by MPDano; 05-28-2010 at 07:19 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
Hey everyone, Thanks for the feedback. These forums are amazing. Yesterday I had never really even seen a clutch until I successfully (and safely) removed one from my new Porsche. Funny! Maybe I'll get a WSM someday. Gunar
You do know the Workshop Manuals can be downloaded for free right?

The files are linked on this page and can be opened in Adobe Acrobat and saved locally, or just right-click the links and choose the save option.

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
Old 05-29-2010, 03:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Leo

I simply pointed out that Gunar will have to decide from which information he will make his decisions, I suspect there are many on these forums who have no classical training and little understanding of vehicles, yet on the internet their voice is as loud as any, as a 43yo diesel mechanic with 25 years experience, I'm happy to throw in my 2 cents worth, but Gunar will have to decide if my opinion is of worth or not.

I've never had a clutch explode, it usually occurs when a standard cast iron flywheel or pressure plate is lightened and simply loses strength enough, to cope with the centrifugal forces at play at a usually extended redline. I have had a turbo motor tear the lining from a clutch at speed, it just rolled to a stop in gear with the motor still spining.

We all have experiences to bring to these forums. I have had only one 928 but it is just a vehicle, and of those I've had more than I care to think about and then there are the ones I've only worked on. The principals remain the same.

Cheers Roy
Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy928tt View Post
Leo

I simply pointed out that Gunar will have to decide from which information he will make his decisions, I suspect there are many on these forums who have no classical training and little understanding of vehicles, yet on the internet their voice is as loud as any, as a 43yo diesel mechanic with 25 years experience, I'm happy to throw in my 2 cents worth, but Gunar will have to decide if my opinion is of worth or not.

I've never had a clutch explode, it usually occurs when a standard cast iron flywheel or pressure plate is lightened and simply loses strength enough, to cope with the centrifugal forces at play at a usually extended redline. I have had a turbo motor tear the lining from a clutch at speed, it just rolled to a stop in gear with the motor still spining.

We all have experiences to bring to these forums. I have had only one 928 but it is just a vehicle, and of those I've had more than I care to think about and then there are the ones I've only worked on. The principals remain the same.

Cheers Roy
No worries Roy.

I actually did have a stock clutch disc (not a 928) shatter on me, and in the worst place it could happen too. Had to walk for miles in the hot sun to get help (no cell phones back in day). For me, seeing a disc that close to the rivet and my bad experience and it already being out. My choice is easy.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: