Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Ummm you guys are joking about the fan laying flat right. The fluid spins into place when it turns. BTW they are shipped in a box flat on a pallet so I cant see how it would hurt one unless the valve is seized from old age.

That clutch looks like 60% left but I never reinstall an old one for the cost of a new disk and pressure plate.

Last edited by bwmac; 05-30-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

Lay a straightedge on your pressure plate clutch intermediate plate. If flat, you are in much better shape then I was. Check that intermediate plate closely and get advice about its condition, as that's an expensive piece. Note the two clutch discs are different, get them in the right position when you reinstall. FWIW, here are some random pics of old and new parts and ramblings during clutch work. Other good writeups exist. Sachs parts worked great, shop around for them from the main parts suppliers:

Twin disc clutch, 84, complete. A couple notes. - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Viscous fan will leak if stored flat on its face. Here's refilling. Really helped the car's at-idle / in-traffic operating temperature.

:

Last edited by Landseer; 05-31-2010 at 04:06 AM..
Old 05-31-2010, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

So, overall, how is the project car progressing?
Old 05-31-2010, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
Everything on the car seems right at this point. No rust issues under car,bolts and nuts are coming free, components and everything I've taken off "look" good. Brakes look good and clutch came off easy and appears ok. I've taken the clear coat off 1 of the BBS 3 piece RS wheels and they alone are apparently worth more than the 1K I paid for the car. I have the engine totally ready to pull and will try to rent a cherry picker tomorrow to get that sucker out. I am very happy with the car so far but a lot of work remains. I want to get it running and in decent cosmetic shape and drive it for awhile then help my brother repaint it later on down the line. All the glass is in great shape also. I can't believe there are no water spots that won't come off on a 28 year old car. Gunar
Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landseer View Post
Lay a straightedge on your pressure plate clutch intermediate plate. If flat, you are in much better shape then I was. Check that intermediate plate closely and get advice about its condition, as that's an expensive piece. Note the two clutch discs are different, get them in the right position when you reinstall. FWIW, here are some random pics of old and new parts and ramblings during clutch work. Other good writeups exist. Sachs parts worked great, shop around for them from the main parts suppliers:

Twin disc clutch, 84, complete. A couple notes. - Rennlist Discussion Forums

Viscous fan will leak if stored flat on its face. Here's refilling. Really helped the car's at-idle / in-traffic operating temperature.

:

Thanks for the pic's Chrise.
Note to self: don't lay old porsche fan clutch on face
Old 05-31-2010, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Garage
I was able to remove everything from the top of the motor with no problems. I used a long hex wrench to remove the bolts from the water bridge. I was worried about these but things went smooth.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Damn, your serious. Tremendous progress.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
I drained the oil and it poured out very fast. My catch pan was way too small so I flooded the garage floor with overflow oil. Grabbed some towels to dam up the oil pool. What a mess. The oil looked normal but was a little thin with a gasoline smell. Maybe from the flooding problem the PO was having when he was trying to get it started. I repaired the shattered center support for the grille with epoxy and metal inlays. I'll get it sanded and painted and I think it will be ok if I don't hit anything (if I ever get it moving on it's own).
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
I removed the cloudy clear coat from this wheel. Turned out pretty good.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

That wheel looks great congrats, it is great giving old parts life!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
stage 1 accomplished! I rented a great pull behind engine hoist. Lots of reach. Did it all by myself so far.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-02-2010, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
Hehehe (Laughing at your oil spill) -- I did the same thing. 7.5 quarts of oil in a 5 quart pan. Clay cat litter works great (use a lot, grind it in with some old shoes, shop vac it up, repeat)..

In the WSM it says the car must be on its wheels when removing the 'fender brace' (Can someone chime in on this? )

Im so jealous you have your motor out you can do some real detailing and make it look sharp. I hope your internals are in good shape.

Good looking progress keep at it man! Save that Shark!

Last edited by dcrasta; 06-02-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

It would be a really good time to replace the blue hose from the brake reservoir to the clutch master. It is not fun with the engine in. Also, it is a really good time to replace the front ball cup on the shifter while the engine is out. Both parts are relatively inexpensive but pretty tough with the engine in. The front ball cup can just replace the inner cup.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

do yourself a favor replace motor mounts while engine is out they are always bad nobody ever replaces them because of part cost and labor they compress like 944 modles do and transmit vibration thru chassis. easy to do now. i have some parts for that model tell me what you need and i will donate parts for the project many new. just pay shipping best regards tom balto. md.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Subscribed. Great thread. I must live in a parallel universe. I have a project doing this same thing and maybe 4 hours ahead of your last engine pics. How do your timing belt cogs look? A couple of showstopper wickets to get through next are crank end play, cylinder condition.

I saw the note about the brace and interpreted that to mean that I should have the weight of the car (with engine) on the wheels when I re-install it.

Good luck... Bruce
83 928S (engine back in from tear down, interior gutted)
....Grasshoppah
Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUFTMAN View Post
do yourself a favor replace motor mounts while engine is out they are always bad nobody ever replaces them because of part cost and labor they compress like 944 modles do and transmit vibration thru chassis. easy to do now. i have some parts for that model tell me what you need and i will donate parts for the project many new. just pay shipping best regards tom balto. md.
Thanks-PM SENT
Old 06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Spent all day cleaning the front of the engine and
pulling stuff off. Tonight I got the drivers side head off with no problems. One of the pistons tops has a new scratch on it and there is a shallow mark on the cylinder wall that I can catch my fingernail on. Is this going to be ok? I didn't find a foreign object in the cylinder.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: