Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-12-2010, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like my luck is over- I guess I need another 4.7 block. What year would work? A bunch of little rocks where in there from when the PO was trying to get it started and not being very careful with what fell in the intakes. Only 1 cylinder damaged bad. Maybe I can reuse these pistons. Man, I am now definitely way out of my league. Where do I go from here? Gunar
Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
That sucks.

He must've pulled out the plugs without removing all the gravel resting in the spark plug hole.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Garage
that is a sore one gb but surely you will get your hands on a short motor for her off one of the members good luck pal
Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone ever rented a boroscope? I'd like to have a good look at my cylinders, too.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Digesting Gravel -

Hey gbgastowers, Do not feel too discouraged with your initial engine tear down and inspection. It is not uncommon to find a surprise or two while trying to breath life back into a 928 project. The depth of the cylinder wall damage will obviously require a block replacement. I have seen a hard carbon and/or crud build up around the tops of the cylinders but I’ve not seen that much gravel digested in a bore. If you price out your time, machine work and parts for a rebuild you may find it to be more economical to locate a running engine to speed things up.

One other comment, if you prefer to build up an engine reusing your crank, rods and pistons in another block – the 928 engine internals are pretty much bullet proof. Even high mileage cylinder bores are often found to still be well within factory specs. Line up a gasket set, oil pump, timing belt set up, etc.... and have an experienced shop rework your heads.

Good Luck, Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 06-13-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
I think I might send the block to 928 Motorsports for repair. What do you think?
928 Motorsports - Porsche® 928, 944, & 951 NiCom® (Nikasil®) Repair, Plating, and Honing
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
I think I might send the block to 928 Motorsports for repair. What do you think?
928 Motorsports - Porsche® 928, 944, & 951 NiCom® (Nikasil®) Repair, Plating, and Honing
Deep pockets have we? (Yoda Voice). Buy a good used engine like someone mentioned.

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)
Old 06-13-2010, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

That really sucks for you. You can find a good longblock cheap. Just look around a little bit.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepson View Post
That really sucks for you. You can find a good longblock cheap. Just look around a little bit.
I am afraid I'll run into problems trying to put my Euro stuff on a used block. I think a good Euro S block (928 100 911 02) will be impossible to find and I don't know what kind of problems I'll run into trying to change to a different engine plus possibly lose the Euro S engine character I was seeking.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanG17 View Post
keep in mind it has 97mm bores...you could always bore it out to 1 or 2 sizes overbore......pricey and does require new pistons-rings...but should last a long time after that!
I guess I will take it apart and check for damage to the pistons before I do anything. I have to take it down to the bare block anyway to send it in for repair. If the pistons are ok then I can spend the $1500 for block repair and put my internals back in with not much extra cost on top of the $1500 but if I get it bored out I'll need new pistons and no telling what all else and that could cost more than repairing the block. Any holes in this plan?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
I am afraid I'll run into problems trying to put my Euro stuff on a used block. I think a good Euro S block (928 100 911 02) will be impossible to find and I don't know what kind of problems I'll run into trying to change to a different engine plus possibly lose the Euro S engine character I was seeking.
It is just a matter of perusing eBay for a while. Probably about a week~! That's one way to solve the problem. Those are pretty bad gouges, but what would it actually cost to bore out one cylinder and install oversize rings, or even a 5.0 liter piston? 928 Motorsports is the PREMIER group in the industry for that sort of thing. But boring and honing an alusil block isn't rocket science, and many other cars use this technology now. Have you shopped it?

N

Last edited by Normy; 06-13-2010 at 08:47 PM..
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Well for the $1500 that 928MS wants to repair it, i think thats cheep compared to some of the other parts that are way over priced on these cars.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

You askied, "Where do I go from here?".

Lots of possibilities, you've clearly got skills.

Every rebuild I've followed here, done right, seems to cost far more than fully operational $5K or $6K 928. If going down that path of rebuild anyway, then consider Danglerb's block. He seems to consistently provide honest and thoughtful information, and fair assessments of his own parts supply, and likely can hook you up with most parts you need to proceed. Be very wary of the sleeving or resurfacing options (for mechanical and commerce reasons).

Engines are out there for transplant, but the difficulty is weeding-out the good ones without throwing money down the tube. We've seen a couple guys get burned for bad engines, one with scoring similar to yours. I think its common to get that grit in the cylinder.

Consider also expanding the range of engine possibilities to include the 82/83/84 USA cars. Due to production numbers, you will have more chance to find a running one that you can compression test in either a wreck or an interior/exterior-neglect car. Coupled with a 5 speed, it will give good fun. With patience, a whole running car with bad cosmetics for $1000 to $1500 is a very good possibility.

On the USA cars, I just got back from driving a USA 84 auto to Banner Elk, then across to Johnson City and back up the highway to Virginia. I had every bit as much power as I could handle. Going uphill on 81 at 75+, a little more pedal gives a downshift and significant acceleration. Careful, or you're at 90 uphill in a very short span of time. No slouch.

The concept of S engines and hybrid engines is interesting, as is concept of 32V engines. But the USA early engines are more plentiful due to production numbers. They deliver more than enough power to give a whole family hill climb thrills in the NC mountains. I've been driving a 32V 5 speed recently, helping sort it out. Also, a 5 speed Euro S. Both have nasty acceleration, but its uncommon for me or the owner to use all that much right foot on a routine basis. Overkill.

Are you looking for an economic 928 driver or a hyper-performer?

Last edited by Landseer; 06-14-2010 at 03:38 AM..
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Landseer makes a very good point that it may be wise to pick up a complete parts car with a good engine
Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: