Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
First 928 -The story(nightmare?)begins

I am a first time 928 owner now. I returned from a 1700 mile 2 day trip to bring in from NC to Miami to NC with a U-haul auto transport. It was a non runner so I had to winch it on and off. Only the excitement of the 928 kept me going(very tiring trip by myself). This car is what you call a basket case but I like what I got for the price. It has a lot of character and is fairly unmolested. It looked like I was hauling Mad Max's last of the V-8 interceptors back from Miami. I see what you guys are talking about as far as the interest people give the car on the road. Car was a lot worse in person than in the ad pictures(also very big). On the trailer it looked like a piece of old high tech military equipment with the primer/green and those beautiful shapes. Car is straight and honest. I have already gutted the interior(which is all leather by the way-headliner,1/4 int panels,etc) and found a bunch of oxidized German coins in it. Lots of moisture has been in there. I got a lot of extra stuff from the PO I'll photo later. I am exhausted but very content with my new project. It's going to be a challenge. 1982 928S Euro 5 SPEED (M28/11) RELATED INFO AND PICS= Porsche 928 april 27 2010 pictures by otif07 - Photobucket AND 1982 Porsche 928 Euro Spec AND Finally started, but still need help

Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Congrats! You did it and made the Plunge. Now let's get that CIS running again. Whatever you do, do not try and start it!

First thing, drop that fuel tank and get it acid washed or equivalent. This will be #1 on the Project of #400+
Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
o/ You are certified crazy. Welcome to our madness :0
Old 05-05-2010, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome - Let the Fun Begin -

Hey gbgastowers, Congrats on your purchase. Although reviving a 928 may seem a bit daunting at first, you will find that it will be well worth the effort. It was designed and engineered from day one to compete with the world's best road machines. Just remember - For all the slack jawed spectators at the gas station and the highway patrol officers who asks what the !@# is that, just say it’s a "928 Porsche". That will say it all.

There are lots of experienced owners on this site – so don’t hesitate to ask for help.

Good Luck, Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 05-06-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

Couple suggestions;

Don't make getting it started a goal.

No offense intended to the previous owner, Otif, but he was having troubles, so its best to start from square one and recheck everything. I would pull the engine, have the heads done, and replace all the gaskets and seals.

While the engine is out, give the car a careful look and decide on its future, parts car, beater car, or money pit.

I checked the vin on pet7, WP0ZZZ92ZCS840492, no special options except sport seats, german gauges, and sun roof.

Last edited by Danglerb; 05-06-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
VIN = WP0ZZZ92ZCS840492 with M28/11 type motor. I just did an Autocheck and it says your vehicle checks out clean(no issues). Came to US (Houston) in Sept of 1987 and then went to Lake City,FL in 1995 through July 2002 which is the last time it was registered. I still don't know why it was parked at this time but I'm sure I'll find out after engine & head pull.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
VIN = WP0ZZZ92ZCS840492 with M28/11 type motor. I just did an Autocheck and it says your vehicle checks out clean(no issues). Came to US (Houston) in Sept of 1987 and then went to Lake City,FL in 1995 through July 2002 which is the last time it was registered. I still don't know why it was parked at this time but I'm sure I'll find out after engine & head pull.
What's strange is that I see a lot of 928's as last registration in the year 2002. Did Smog Laws change that year? Or was there a 928 Hater Meteor passing over the Earth in 2002?

Mine too was last registered in 2002, then it became a non-op car after that. Until I saved her last year.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Wait a minute, isn't the one you showed me and the CIS Injection was pulled out?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, I asked him to put it back together since he knew how it came apart. He knew not to try and start it again in case crap fell in the intake ports.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
80 928

Garage
Yikes! I smell a major project.
-Kerry
Old 05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
In the garage now. I will start the engine removal soon. Anyone know of a good tutorial besides Jim's CD? I need to get the CD-Call Roger?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
All the extra parts that came with it
Old 05-08-2010, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
more parts
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
more parts
Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
more parts
Old 05-08-2010, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Does the catch on this look normal?(white part)- It works ok but I don't see how, with the end worn down possibly.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Do you really need to remove the engine yet?

IMHO, I would just remove all the fuel related stuff, tank, new fuel pump and filter, blow out all all the fuel lines. Clean but don't take apart the WUR, Fuel Dist and Throttle Body.

Replace Water Pump and TB. Do a compression Test with Fuel Pump Relay removed.

Then try and get it to run. A few of us got pretty good at CIS and are pretty confident we can get you going.

Your probably going to see a lot of wiring issues along the way too.

Anyways, I still don't know why your jumping into removing the engine unless you know it's bad.

Last edited by MPDano; 05-08-2010 at 07:11 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Leo, Have you read the PO post in the 1st of this thread? He had oil blow by when he got it started finally. He shut it off after 30 seconds. The consensus here seamed to be a possible head gasket failure or something with the valves(stuck?). I thought pulling the motor and heads would be a good idea and pray that nothings wrong with the cylinders and piston heads/rings. I don't know anything about this stuff but my hope is to replace the head gaskets and hoses,tb,etc, clean up then drive off into the sunset.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I have about 4 used spare WUR's in my parts box he gave me. Some are taken apart. I also have a spare used ECU that I opened to see what it looked like inside. It looked and smelled like it was good. I don't know what type of evidence of failure to look for.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

I'm always just a tad wary when a bicycle is mixed in with the parts.

Looks like some good parts with the car, BTW.

Last edited by Landseer; 05-08-2010 at 08:21 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: