Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to firefighter7128
Come on man! Windows

I just spent weeks trying to get my windows to work and now i think a motor is out. dont have a/c right now and its getting hot in here. when i click my switch i hear he motor hum. complete motor?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pull the door panel and watch the window regulator for movement and diagnose from there.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

The motors get tired....and then die. Happens all the time.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

Matt, its not that hard to get the door panels off and get to the insides. Try this thread for some suggestions. Hopefully you can see the good pictures that Jim uses to illustrate. Mason might know for sure, but I think your window motors are same as on this S4.

Window Motor R&R - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Old 05-21-2010, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

You don't have to pull the door panels, just the little leather inserts. Pulling the entire panel does not really get you any more access.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Motor hums, but no worky. Sounds like something is jammed. There's a rod in there that travels up and down through a guide. Clean and lubricate that guide, plus lubricate the gear plate at the bottom on the teeth, too.

See what happens. By the way, removal of the door panel is a piece of cake. However, where the plastic sheath enters the panel may need to be cut to allow the harnesses to be separsted from the panel. This is if no one has ever pulled the main panel before, which is very unlikely.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
well i hit the button and i hear a click. up or down. as if it wants to but there is no movement. my headlights dim alot only with this window. now it is going to be 92 today.... please tell me there is a way to lower the window.

I have new (used) panels coming and have already recut some sound proofing. plan that prodject next week. i just got these motors (used) not to long ago.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

There isn't.
Open the other one.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

There is, unscrew the nylon bushing that holds the window on the steel guide pole.

Don't break it....
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
You may have a big voltage drop in the circuit from high resistance. You can jump 12 volts straight to the motor to see if it responds. Don't worry about getting backwards, just flip the leads around until it rolls down (polarity switched motor). If no joy, jammed mechanism or bad motor.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
ok i got lucky. when i bought the car it came witha box of parts. 2 good motors.
I took the bad one off and now cant get it all back togeather. window is down now though. anyone have a breakdown
Old 05-21-2010, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
I replaced my motor a couple of years ago and had no manual or guidance...I think I just pulled the panel, un-plugged motor's two wires, un-screwed/bolted the motor then pulled it out. Then just reversed the process. Check the switch before you close up to assure you have the wires in the proper up/down lug.

You may have to adjust how the window is positioned in its track to align the bolt holes, I just don't remember. I think I used a 1x1 to hold the window static and then performed the task.
Jon
Old 05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
well i ad to unbolt it from the mechanisim to get i out. with my giant hands i cant hold the window, the mechanisim and the motor in place to put bolts back in.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Banned

Firefighter, pulling the door open isn't that big a job. The Nichols site has a write-up on removing he door panel. There are several screws that you need to remove, but the real problem is simply sliding a screwdriver under the door panel and prying it from the metal door, just like any other car. You are going to probably break a few panel plugs. Autozone and Advance auto have these in stock- there is nothing exotic about your door. Once you get the door panel off, you need to remove three 10 mm screws in order to remove your window regulator. The arm of the regulator uses this white nylon button about 3/4 inch across [new ones are for sale with the rivet at www.928intl.com], and that is the typical culprit. The bottom of the window has a channel, and the white nylon wheel is riveted to the end of the arm. The typical failure mode involves the window dropping inside the door suddenly. When you pull it apart, you pull the regulator out of the gap at the bottom of the door, and drill out the old broken Nylon part. Then you install the new nylon, and use a hammer and the floor of your garage to slightly flare the end of the rivet that holds the new wheel in place. Put it back in the door [most people use a screw clamp to keep the window up while doing this], slide it into the slot on the window, and bolt it in place. Put your door panel back on, and VOILA; You've just saved $700 by fixing this yourself versus taking it to the Porsche dealer!

Good luck! I've taken my door panels off probably 100 times. PM me if you have any questions.

N!
Old 05-21-2010, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
Understand about the hands...Try and configure the window and track-arm assembly 1st then prop it up at suitable height with a 1x1 (or anything) then replace the bolts???
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy View Post
Firefighter, pulling the door open isn't that big a job. The Nichols site has a write-up on removing he door panel. There are several screws that you need to remove, but the real problem is simply sliding a screwdriver under the door panel and prying it from the metal door, just like any other car. You are going to probably break a few panel plugs. Autozone and Advance auto have these in stock- there is nothing exotic about your door. Once you get the door panel off, you need to remove three 10 mm screws in order to remove your window regulator. The arm of the regulator uses this white nylon button about 3/4 inch across [new ones are for sale with the rivet at www.928intl.com], and that is the typical culprit. The bottom of the window has a channel, and the white nylon wheel is riveted to the end of the arm. The typical failure mode involves the window dropping inside the door suddenly. When you pull it apart, you pull the regulator out of the gap at the bottom of the door, and drill out the old broken Nylon part. Then you install the new nylon, and use a hammer and the floor of your garage to slightly flare the end of the rivet that holds the new wheel in place. Put it back in the door [most people use a screw clamp to keep the window up while doing this], slide it into the slot on the window, and bolt it in place. Put your door panel back on, and VOILA; You've just saved $700 by fixing this yourself versus taking it to the Porsche dealer!

Good luck! I've taken my door panels off probably 100 times. PM me if you have any questions.

N!
Thnks everyone. gonna continue on it tomarrow. the door anel was no prob at all. there is just a small hole for me to get y hand into the inside to re-attach the motor. just too small
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Boston,Fort Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normy View Post

N!

Just did this... perfect write-up Normy
Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Ditto, good write-up! Thanks.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Arrgh Matey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m21sniper View Post
You don't have to pull the door panels, just the little leather inserts. Pulling the entire panel does not really get you any more access.
holy ****... where'd u come from Bill
Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

I've been here for 4 years.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: