Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

broken hatchback lock

Key goes in and turns, hatch does not unlock.

I followed the instructions i found online, as written by Wally Plumley(but no pix!)...

Drill hole in panel behind tool kit, put screwdriver in and push straight back on the white plastic piece to release hatch....

But nothing happens.

Suggestions? Advice? Voodoo solution?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
The hatch latch from above slides into a rectangular receptacle below. This is where you drilled...
In looking at the body receptacle note that there is a cylindrical plastic part that is spring loaded which when you close the hatch, the latch depresses this element. If you would drill the hole to low you would only engage the round (lower piece) with the screwdriver...pushing this releases nothing...possibly the hole has been drilled to low or only through the black part.

Keep in mind...The latch is about an inch long, the receptacle has a mounting area that occupies maybe an 1/8th inch of the height displacement...also the complete receptacle has a white plastic/rubberized inner covering which is rectangular and covers the inside hardened black receptacle; the white cylindrical element sort of floats in the center of this rectangle...maybe the hole is not deep enough...
Jon

Last edited by JhwShark; 05-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-21-2010, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

The locks on these cars use soft "pot metal" for their actuator arms. I have broken TWO in 11 years; right now I cannot lock my drivers door, something that happened earlier this month. For the past year, I have not been able to unlock my hatch with my key. I'm a cheap bastard, and I'm proud of it.

If I hadn't just spent $540 on tires, I would fix both of these items. Nothing left in the budget this month or June. Maybe in July~

N

PS: The individual who started this thread shouldn't trash a 928 by sitting in it~

Last edited by Normy; 05-21-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Got it open.

The lock cylinder is all busted up and was jamming the release mechanism. And the lock housing is cracked.

Looks like i get to spend a lot of money.... :-/

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: