Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

starter motor engaged

Am having problem with my s4 1991 A/T euro 928. When i start car, it seems the starter stays engaged. Changed ignition barrel. cam, electrical ignition switch ( all second hand from G.A.D.), also had starter refurbed, but exactly the same. Took starter off car, checked voltage at solenoid cable. When turned the key fully clockwise then solenoid cable shows 12v. Releasing key ( as when car starts) shows 12v on solenoid cable? Is this correct??
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
I'm not very familiar with the year, and I know you have a lot more electronics to deal with...
but the wires going down to the alt and starter on earlier models from a 14 pin connector (I believe you have a different config.) can have insulation degraded to the point that a short or an open will occur. This can cause a no start or a constant starter engagement. You may have some of this going on (i.e.: if the starter pulse wire connects with a HOT (ALT) wire due to bad insulation this could cause the condition you experience...many people have rewired the harness that goes down some have bought replacements...

Maybe it is just a stuck start relay or something easy...I hope you find out.
Jon
'93 BMW 525i, 260k "the beater" Garnet
Old 05-21-2010, 11:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had this same problem on an 87 Taurus. It was a sticking relay. I tapped on the relay with a tool and heard it spring open and stop the starter. I got lucky on that one.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 05-21-2010, 12:05 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: