Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
interior panel repair w/Gorilla Glue

I have discovered a method of repairing my shattered and water damaged interior panels. I have been spreading Gorilla Glue on the panel then clamping it between 2 tape covered paint sticks. After a couple of hours I remove the clamps and it is producing a smooth,rigid surface that has penetrated into the fiber board. This has worked great so far on some really damaged panels.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

+928 on Gorilla Glue - that stuff is fantastic. I have used it in many applications on the shark and otherwise.
78 928 5 spd "Blumaxx" (featured in issue #100 Hemmings Sports & Exotics)
03 Boxster S lapis blue
928 Owners Club member
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Cool.

Every time I buy a bottle of heavy-duty glue like Gorilla, it cures solid before I can ever use it. Must be reacting to the interior heat.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficio View Post
Cool.

Every time I buy a bottle of heavy-duty glue like Gorilla, it cures solid before I can ever use it. Must be reacting to the interior heat.
Store the bottle upside down. It will last a lot longer before it turns solid in the bottle...
Old 07-13-2010, 09:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpusfugit View Post
Store the bottle upside down. It will last a lot longer before it turns solid in the bottle...

Will do. Thanx.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

One other thought, in the past I always bought large containers of other glues. With Gorrilla glue I find smaller is better....even stored up side down.... I have a small bottle that I have used about 1/2 of in the last 3 months, and it is still good, standing on the "worng" end when not in use....
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
if thats a door panel the reason its warped is because the vapor barrier is missing or not installed correctly. I use a shower curtain in clear with brush on Weldwood adhesive it works the best for the interior ,
The Gorilla glue to impregnate the panels is a great idea

2011 BMW K1300S Magma red
Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I went to Home Depot and bought a huge sheet of landscaping plastic, the thickest they sold, and redid the barriers. Good stuff, very durable.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Petie3rd

clear shower curtains at the dollar store are one dollar
Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Merlin,
I did the vapor barriers with the shower curtain($2.50 at dollar store) like you suggested. On the passenger I did it your way but on the drivers side after doing the hang inside the openings part I decided I could just tape over all the access holes with my FlexFix metallic tape and accomplish the same thing as the second vapor barrier you suggested. Do you see any problems with this idea? That panel in the picture is the hatch headliner. It was trashed with leather shrink and water damage but this Gorilla glue is molding it back in stiff shape. I am going to get some vinyl to recover it. Maybe use 3M Super Trim Adhesive for this. It seems like it's going to be hard to make the vinyl smooth since it adheres so tightly to the flat and some parts foam surface. Maybe a lined vinyl will help.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
What is the best way to repair shrunken leather rear quarter panels? The leather has broken free from the fiberboard near the bottom window edge and the fiberboard is now severely warped. Would I have to remove the leather and get it recovered?

Also, what product can I use to remove the glue from the leather covering on my dash? PO peeled the leather off because it split, and the vinyl underneath looks pretty good minus the glue all over it, some of which may be permanent due to sun exposure.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Petie3rd

I would suggest to make the barriers so that you have a piece of plastic attached at the top of each opening and then draped to the inside of the door when it rains or the car is washed water will drip down the door and if these plastic pieces are not in place then the backside of the door panels will get damaged putting a tape cover over the openings wont insure that water stays on the inside of the door.

For any trim adhesive work i would stay away from the spray on adhesives and get the brush on Weldwood as previously posted.
it is the best adhesive for repairs buy a QT and you will find yourself regluing all of the little parts of carpet and other pieces in the car,

plain and simple its the best stuff for the job anything else will soon come loose i have done mopre than a few interior RnRs and once you have to go back to reglue something it then is clear how you wasted cash and time to learn that the spray on stuff just isnt as good.
Opel for the Qter panel leather there may be some leather products that can soften the leather but in my experience once its shrunk it has to be replaced maybe someone else can chime in on this. For the adhesive on the dash try a little bit of PB blaster on a Q tip let it soak for a few mins and the glue should come off
Old 07-14-2010, 04:51 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Thanks for the advice, I will try out some PB Blaster on the dash. Regarding the quarter panels, I was thinking of maybe getting them recovered some day, but I am afraid that the fiber board is too badly warped to be salvaged. Perhaps I will reinstall them until I can find a replacement, they don't look too bad, but the bottom edge of the driver side panel gets in the way of the spare tire cover, and I'm not sure a custom plywood cover I wanted to make would fit there because it doesn't flex as the plastic cover does.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Rockin' NW Arkansas

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to firefighter7128
I was actually going to post about this. My door panles are warped at the top.
I figured I would go to the local Hobby Lobby and pick up a few yards of leather but i was concerned about the warping. Good post. I assume you had to just "man handle" the warped part and try to put into place?

My rears are very bad. Where they meet the window. Leather is gone. Again, same situation with buying a few yards of meterial but im afraid the warp is too bad to fix.
My questions is, did you soften the warped material at all with anything?
Old 07-15-2010, 10:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter7128 View Post
I was actually going to post about this. My door panles are warped at the top.
I figured I would go to the local Hobby Lobby and pick up a few yards of leather but i was concerned about the warping. Good post. I assume you had to just "man handle" the warped part and try to put into place?

My rears are very bad. Where they meet the window. Leather is gone. Again, same situation with buying a few yards of meterial but im afraid the warp is too bad to fix.
My questions is, did you soften the warped material at all with anything?
You can spray it with water from a spray bottle and let it dry in the proper position by weighting it down in key areas. If you have some damaged areas on the fiber board or flimsy areas you can use the Gorilla Glue w/ clamps and it will penetrate and restore the stiffness and add support to help straighten the panel and restore it to its original shape and rigidity.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgastowers View Post
You can spray it with water from a spray bottle and let it dry in the proper position by weighting it down in key areas. If you have some damaged areas on the fiber board or flimsy areas you can use the Gorilla Glue w/ clamps and it will penetrate and restore the stiffness and add support to help straighten the panel and restore it to its original shape and rigidity.
I tried that water in the spray bottle technique with zero results. A lot of that paneling is smooth and water just rolls right off. I do like the Gorilla Glue technique though. Keep the pics coming.

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)
Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
I tried that water in the spray bottle technique with zero results. A lot of that paneling is smooth and water just rolls right off. I do like the Gorilla Glue technique though. Keep the pics coming.
The water absorbs right in when your panels are damaged as much as mine were.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:10 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: