Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Super Chip advice?

Once again I am new to the 928.. I know my share about the common vehicle and with the help of many people here and around I will slowly learn more about the 928's.. Advice on installing a super chip. Good-bad or not worth it. Very unfamiliar with this stuff.. Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 10:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Network Native

Many 85/86 already have some version or copy of the AA chip, others don't really need it.

Sharktuning I think is best, many are very happy with Porkens chips and mods, PorKen Products .

Generally its best to get your 928 running 100% in stock condition before diddling around. Fancy new exhaust, chips etc do not compensate for deferred maintainence of leaky vacuum hoses and dirty electrical contacts.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
jdill

Garage
I recently had the pleasure of swapping my first motor in my 1985 due to a broken cam,workshop manual good but could be revised with leaving wiring harness in the car
Old 12-26-2010, 05:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

Car must first be sorted well.

Knock protection is critical and early 32V cars are detuned at factory and have sensors that help dial timing to protect against knock. Next batch of 32V cars had additional direct knock sensors to augment, therefore could be factory tuned a little more.

Not wise to chip/thrash these without first sorting perfectly the base car.

I've made the mistake of chipping one that wasn't ready. Not sure what damage I've done, if any, but sorting it now after the fact has turned out being a real hassle. I should have known better.

AA chip is apparently just a gas dumper. Porken chip is apparently much better developed.

These engines are strong in many ways. But they have a swiss-watch aspect, too. That's why I'd rather have a flea-bitten, neglected mouse house from an original owner than a clean, pretty one pre-owned by a juvenile tuner (of any age, 16 to 65).

Last edited by Landseer; 12-26-2010 at 06:11 AM..
Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info and advice guys....I am staring to see that owning a 928 is like playing Golf.. You Will beat your head against the wall trying to get better but you will always keep coming back for more..MAN I LOVE DRIVING THESE CARS....Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I personally don't feel that chipping normally aspirated cars is worth it. There is usually only a marginal gain with decreased fuel flexibility and who knows what else can happen when you open up a 25 year old DME . I agree with Danglerb and Landseer, there are probably plenty of other places that the money could be used that would be more beneficial.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Let me clarify a bit, sorry to mislead with the earlier post.
For some reason my posts have sucked lately.

My experience is that the porken chips create a great increase in available power. Actually for less than $200 (including an uprated fuel regulator) the improvement is astounding. (The AA chips are rough and outdated.)

The issue is that every car I've ever seen at 70K miles first needs its midlife refresh of intake and sensors and fuel lines and hoses. Like Mike Frye did on reutterwerk, the car needs the full refresh done and verified using the 928 documentation called the 'test plan'.

Then bring on the chips!

Last edited by Landseer; 12-28-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
My experience is that the porken chips create a great increase in available power. Actually for less than $200 (including an uprated fuel regulator) the improvement is astounding. (The AA chips are rough and outdated.)
really? (not being a smart ass) Most NA chips I see (on most cars) only add a few percent hp? What do you think the Porken chips add? I have CIS so chipping is not an option. My 951 is chipped and THAT was a huge increase, mainly because it increased my boost. Or is it one of those perception things, if always feel my car is faster after an oil change
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I think Ken and Mike both added a documented 30 HP or so.

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15311&highlight=chips

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/928-forum/537522-porkens-85-chips-awesome.html

Its significant. I did it on an 85 automatic and got whiplash, but have some other stumbling issues that I think are related to a bad sensor or harness short, maybe a coil issue. The gain for me is huge with the pedal on the floor, but the car runs like crap otherwise. I might have rewired the TPS wrongly, too, when I remade that piece of harness.

The car shouldn't be treated like I treated it. I'm running the risk of damage due to knock, even at light throttle. That's my point.
Sort first. Then chip. Ken did research within the maps to build the chips. AA, as he reported after reverse engineering them, seemed to be rudimentary in their treatment of the 928 engine.

Love the 951. Drove a 1 owner 48K mile car last week. First one I've ever touched. I'd trade any / all the old 928's for a sorted, unthrashed example.

Last edited by Landseer; 12-28-2010 at 06:34 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Network Native

I traded my 81 928 in on a 86 951, drove the buns off it for the 5 year lease, but didn't love it enough to fight over it with the lease company to buy it. They are fun, but spartan more like an early 911, and seriously unless you turn up the boost no faster than the 91 mustang I bought after the 951 lease ran out. End of the factory 5 year warranty was no small factor in not keeping it either, or turning up the boost.

Who is going to own a 951 for any long period of time and never tweak the boost or drive it hard? And after that why would they sell it?

If you want a well sorted 951 I think you have to do what most do, buy whats on the market and pour in money.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yes, this one I stumbled upon was unusual.

Had the original timing belt an water pump without the belt separation feature when the guy rolled in to my friends shop for its 50K mi service.

Spotless, incredible sportseated interior.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Apparently there were some ponies left on the table for the LH2.2 cars. I have the ability to write chips for LH 2.2, LH2.3, EZK and EZF modules. Best bet is to get it all working as intended and then see what's going on. Best method of all is to make the mods you want to the car (cams, headers, etc.) and then have the chip written to your specific car...hard to argue with that. I've done a few tunes and I usually charge $500.00 plus fuel to do them. It takes a lot of time and to be honest, it's somewhat of a hassle for that amount of money.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: