Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Exactly what I'm looking at having to do. The rear seats and interior panels do not appear to be in that bad of shape. It is just the front seats, dash and steering wheel. My car has factory paint but it appears the clear coat has been long gone. Not sure how much I'm going to be looking at to get her painted. But we will see when that time comes. I wont be doing a color change though. I think the black looks just fine and see no need to change it. The thing with my paint is that there are white areas on the paint and I'm not sure what they are from. I'm wondering if they will buff out or if they are where the clear coat is failing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_knee View Post
I hear you. My interior isn't terrible, but all the big ticket items (seats, steering wheel, dash & pod) all need work. Most of the other stuff should clean up pretty well. My paint isn't all that bad either, but it's def chipped in places so eventually (also way down the line) I'd like to get it properly resprayed.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)

After some digging around, I talked with somebody who has changed out their fuel supply line before, although they couldn't get it all in there all in one piece. He wound up cutting the main pipe about a foot back from the firewall and used a compression joiner to get it in right. I'd like to avoid that. The good news is those tabs are bendable (theoretically) and the mounts can be removed. It's a little chilly in the garage these days, so some good lube and a hair dryer on high should hopefully help out a bit. This weekend I'm going to use this newfound knowledge to attempt and remove the old line, and devise a plan of attack for when the new one arrives.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
If your talking about the tab strips that hold all the fuel lines under the car, as long as those haven't been undone a thousand times, then they should bend and bend back fine. Some have done that to lower the fuel lines to get better leverage on those fuel lines.

FYI, I did the fuel line change without doing that. I used those clam looking open socket wrenches with an extension on my ratchet wrench.

Porsche928Forums.com (NOW Mobile Enabled!)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_knee View Post
so some good lube and a hair dryer on high should hopefully help out a bit.
This sounds sooooo dirty.....
Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Yep, those are the tabs.

To my knowledge, they've never been touched since the lines were installed at the factory so hopefully you're right.

Quote:
This sounds sooooo dirty.....
Haha, filthy indeed.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

giggity.....
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Got the injectors out today. Another pleasantly smooth procedure (won't get used to it). Not sure when I'm going to send them out for cleaning. On the witchunter website, it advises to make sure you have them installed and being used within 30 days of getting them back, and I'm not sure when that will be, so they can hang out for the moment.

On the flip side, since the supply line is f'd, I just broke it where it bent to get the hose out so I could finally disconnect it and replace the hose. However, this sucker is siezed fo sho. It's bathed in pb blaster, superhot water and beating the ____ out of it, this thing will not turn. What to do, what to do??

Lastly, I'm not sure the hoses in the fuel line replacement kit I got are correct. Everywhere I've read says it should be 5/16" hose, but the ones in the kit are 3/8" and there's a noticeable difference. Are these hoses correct?

OLD - Left; NEW - Right
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
5/16" is the CORRECT size. DO NOT use the 3/8" hose. I initially got bad advice on the size and had to pull it all apart and redo. Start with the right size and use 5/16".

$900 1983 US 928S The latest LEO928S

Old 01-19-2012, 05:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Your thread is where I read it originally and I wanted to make sure. I got the kit from one of the big 3, and I made certain to specify the year, so I was surprised when I looked at the hose and saw 3/8". Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited by man_knee; 01-19-2012 at 05:54 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Post a pic of what you got with the "Kit." I am curious to see what you got.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)

It came with 2 lengths of 3/8" 30R9 Fuel Injection hose, 8 pre-cut hoses for the injectors and a bag full of clamps for everything. I'll see what I can do in the way of an exchange.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)

I purchased that same kit and never used it. I was able to source the original style hose with the "cloth braid?" wrapping it from a friend of mine that owns a Porsche repair shop so I know it is still available. I didn't like the idea that you are forced to use clamps when originally they are not there.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
Are the pre-cut pieces also 3/8"? Also, as an FYI, on some models there is a hose that will use the 3/8", I think it was on the earlier Models. My S, like yours used all 5/16"

Old 01-20-2012, 04:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

All of the hose is 3/8", even the 8 pre-cut pieces. On mine, the supply hose, the 2 hoses that connect to the pressure regulators, the return hose and all the injector hoses all look to be the same size. Also, in your thread for the 83S, you picked up a bunch of various vacuum hose sizes and lengths. Do you recall the sizes and about how much you got?
Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
I actually used 928 Motorsports site which has all the lengths and sizes of their vac kit. I really only saved a few bucks so in hindsite I would just pick up their kit.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Hmmm...nylon or silicone?? Also, where did you pick up those silicone couplers for your 81 spider? I like that they're a little more glossy and not as blah looking as the normal ones. I guess if I went with silicone couplers, I should get silicone hoses as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
All Silicone since silicone wont crack like rubber will eventually. Seals great as Silicone is also used in Turbo Applications, which holds a lot of boosted pressure.

I did go stock rubber on the S Couplers since I was going black anyways.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

I am going to end up powder coating the spider probably in a matte silver, so I was thinking of using black silicone couplers. I think the gloss and the deeper black will contrast nicely. You have the blue silicone couplers on your Euro, was curious where you got them.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Formerly from Bannlist

Garage
I just measured the ID of the original couplers and bought a foot or two of silicone hose and cut it down to 8 pieces. Verify how much length by adding up all the 8 pieces. I bought the hose off eBay, same with Air Intake Hose Couplers.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #139 (permalink)

OK, for the EFI kit, I'm told the 2 hoses are actually 2 different sizes. 1 is 5/16", 1 is 3/8". I'm pretty sure they were both 3/8". Will have to double check when I get home later since I can't see the size of the hose with white writing in the pic above. Although, the hoses certainly look to be the same in the pic. They also said the injector hoses are supposed to be 3/8". Color me confused.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #140 (permalink)
Old 01-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: