Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
I saw the pictures of that Weissach and it took a HARD front end hit. Fenders and hood crumpled.

Imo that radiator is a POS. It's tweaked bad and you can see the impression of the fan. Even the right tank looks beat to hell. I'd put my $100 towards something in better shape.

928 Weissach #153
Cayenne S
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Network Native

If the radiator in the car just has a "slow" leak, I would not swap it out just to test and I would not use that twisted radiator from the wreck long term.

How long has your new J been sitting without being started?

If we are talking like a year or something, don't run the old fuel through the system, and think about pulling plugs and squirting a bit of oil in each cylinder.

Unless you find a shop that knows plastic fuel tanks, I'd say clean it out yourself.

I would not be inclined to use acetone on any part of car without being REAL sure it won't do permanent damage.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Oops, didn't know this came out a front crashed car, plus didn't even notice the bend until it was brought up. I think my right eye was higher than my left eye that day. Disregard my purchase comment and run from this one as advised. Good eye folks!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andres87 View Post
Thats exactly my plan. Pull the engine out, clean it and replace everything that needs to be replace. Can I check compression the same way as in any other cars?? or is there a better way to do it on these cars?
I'm really looking forward to the restoration process and all that. The time to drive it will eventually come, and while I get there I will enjoy the the process of getting it back to what it once was.
Thanks!!
Bless you my friend. Yes pull the motor, drop the Trans and torque tubes, Then you can roll the shell away (take the interior out.) for paint body and electrical refresh. Gonna be sweet!
Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
How about taking the tanks off the bent radiator and having a shop really repair it correctly (Epoxy can be used they have to prep it correctly)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
If the radiator in the car just has a "slow" leak, I would not swap it out just to test and I would not use that twisted radiator from the wreck long term.

How long has your new J been sitting without being started?

If we are talking like a year or something, don't run the old fuel through the system, and think about pulling plugs and squirting a bit of oil in each cylinder.

Unless you find a shop that knows plastic fuel tanks, I'd say clean it out yourself.

I would not be inclined to use acetone on any part of car without being REAL sure it won't do permanent damage.
The car does not have a radiator!! And I think it hasn't been started in about 2 years!!

Thanks!! for the advice Danglerb!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
The good thing is that I have friends who own paint shops, radiator shops, and even know some upholstery guys!! this can help save some money!! I was thinking about buying the radiator and have the radiator shop repair it!! I dont know I think I will keep looking!!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
Network Native

Not started in two years means you should approach with caution. Clean it up, get the old fuel out and the tank and lines clean, pull all the plugs and spray in some Marvel Mystery oil and let it soak. Pull the easy to remove timing belt covers and take some pictures.

Plugs out, carefully turn the engine over by hand using a 27mm socket on the crank bolt. If everything is nice, check the compression. If that looks good borrow a cheap used radiator that "sort of fits", make sure no hoses are getting in the way of belts and maybe see if it will start.

This is what I call checking to see if the door to the chicken exit is locked. If you want to bravely step forward the fix this car regardless of what starting it up might reveal, check the compression, skip starting and pull the motor and start disassembly for restoration. Buy a BUNCH of those cheap food storage boxes and bags and some marking pens to label what you put in them, take a LOT of pictures.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
MPDano, when i saw you say that radiator was good, I thought you had lost your mind. LOL..

That looks like a good project, and the fact that it is a Jubilee is even cooler. Drain the fuel, check the oil, and once you have a radiator in it, see if it will start. As long as what comes out of the tank is clean, i wouldn't bother pulling the tank.

the night before you go to start it, dump some sea foam in the tank, turn the key on and let it force some of the stuff up into the fuel rails and injectors. I was just introduced to that stuff, and that is some of the best carb/injector cleaner i have ever seen. An engine of mine wouldn't start and run one night, poured some in the tank and let it soak overnight, and it started right up the next day!

Also, the amount of !'s you use causes my my eyes to hurt. Haha.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 5 speed - the "Copper Turd"
81 928 Auto
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982_928 View Post
MPDano, when i saw you say that radiator was good, I thought you had lost your mind. LOL..
Temporary Insanity, hopefully
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

That looks like a good project, and the fact that it is a Jubilee is even cooler. Drain the fuel, check the oil, and once you have a radiator in it, see if it will start. As long as what comes out of the tank is clean, i wouldn't bother pulling the tank.

the night before you go to start it, dump some sea foam in the tank, turn the key on and let it force some of the stuff up into the fuel rails and injectors. I was just introduced to that stuff, and that is some of the best carb/injector cleaner i have ever seen. An engine of mine wouldn't start and run one night, poured some in the tank and let it soak overnight, and it started right up the next day!

Also, the amount of !'s you use causes my my eyes to hurt. Haha.
Hahaha. I'm sorry about your eyes. But youre right. I just notice there is no reason for all those !!s. I'm so used to MSN Messenger I cant help it.
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I'll see what comes out of the tank and decide what to do, but I will sure take your advice on the sea foam.
Is there a way to start the car with out a radiator? or problably use a different radiator? (see a didnt use any)

Last edited by andres87; 03-28-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Old 03-28-2012, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Not started in two years means you should approach with caution. Clean it up, get the old fuel out and the tank and lines clean, pull all the plugs and spray in some Marvel Mystery oil and let it soak. Pull the easy to remove timing belt covers and take some pictures.

Plugs out, carefully turn the engine over by hand using a 27mm socket on the crank bolt. If everything is nice, check the compression. If that looks good borrow a cheap used radiator that "sort of fits", make sure no hoses are getting in the way of belts and maybe see if it will start.

This is what I call checking to see if the door to the chicken exit is locked. If you want to bravely step forward the fix this car regardless of what starting it up might reveal, check the compression, skip starting and pull the motor and start disassembly for restoration. Buy a BUNCH of those cheap food storage boxes and bags and some marking pens to label what you put in them, take a LOT of pictures.
Thanks a lot. So youre saying... check compression, if compression is good start it and see whats up? ok. Then work from there right?

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Kool

Garage
I second the sea foam...use it on my boat...great stuff.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Network Native

Actually what I am saying is;

what I said in full, clean it up so no junk falls in the plug holes or multilegged things grab your arm and bite, squirt in oil, check the timing belt with covers off, and carefully turn the motor by hand, if that all looks ok, then maybe compression test.

The point of compression and starting it up is to see if the motor etc is worth proceeding. If you plan to proceed regardless, then I would skip it and pull the motor and tear it down.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I can get you a nice radiator for $200 plus shipping. Send me a PM if you're interested. It's got two coolers also. I agree with 19psi. You need to walk from this $100 bent up hunk of s**t. It's not worth half of that price. Even the side tanks are bad news. I actually have two spare radiators for my cars.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 924CarreraGTP View Post
I can get you a nice radiator for $200 plus shipping. Send me a PM if you're interested. It's got two coolers also. I agree with 19psi. You need to walk from this $100 bent up hunk of s**t. It's not worth half of that price. Even the side tanks are bad news. I actually have two spare radiators for my cars.

924, You wouldnt happen to have a spare 944 radiator lying around, would you?

And for starting the car without a radiator... I wouldnt do that, but if you do, only run it for 15-30 seconds so that you dont get it hot and crack a head.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto

Last edited by 1982_928; 03-29-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
And for starting the car without a radiator... I wouldnt do that, but if you do, only run it for 15-30 seconds so that you dont get it hot and crack a head.
I've actually done it, but just make sure you got water running through it. Just run your garden hose through the top hose. It's kind of the same idea when your running a boat motor out of water, my boat had an outboard with a special device that you clamp to it's water intake (same as the upper hose on our car).

In your defense though, like you said, never run the car without some water flowing through it.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
You cant have just one.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
I've actually done it, but just make sure you got water running through it. Just run your garden hose through the top hose. It's kind of the same idea when your running a boat motor out of water, my boat had an outboard with a special device that you clamp to it's water intake (same as the upper hose on our car).

In your defense though, like you said, never run the car without some water flowing through it.
Well if you do it that way, its a different story. If you have water flowing through it, its perfectly fine. I've run engines with a garden hose before, i just had forgotten about that method.
78 928 5 speed - #111
81 928 Auto
Old 03-29-2012, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Hi andreas87 was lurking around and saw your post. I have a 911 Ferry Special and I recently found a place in Germany who sell original spec cloth for your seats they are Werk 924.com - Shop and your paint colour is Meteor Metallic 961

82 911 SC Targa Sold
12 Audi A5 Sportback 3.0 TDI Quattro
03 996 C4S
Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
50th , 928s , euro , ferry porsche , jubilee