Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Kool

Garage
14 pin connector

Just a thought....as I read and learn....this has probably com up somewhere else...

Why couldn't the 14-pin connector be customized...something like this...

I'm not saying this is "the" solution...but seems to me that there are products out there along this line that could be used...

Just a discussion topic, if anyone is interested..

1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 04-06-2012, 10:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can buy the Bosch plastic pieces with male ends right here on Pelican: Pelican Parts - Product Information: 911-612-113-05-M100
1980 Porsche 928, Black on Black, 5 Speed
Old 04-06-2012, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Network Native

Barrier strips in an automotive setting are begging for trouble IMHO, way too much chance for a short, and not good vs weather.

The factory 14 pin works dandy, what happens is people take off the plastic shield that keeps it dry when they mess with it and the jump post, and without it wires corrode.

Beyond that, Porsche owners in general have no tolerance for non stock items. Put that on a 928 and ever try to sell it and you will have thrown away a few hundred bucks or more. One of the RL guys made a HUGE effort to build some replacement harnesses, but insisted on improving them with a high quality Deutsch connector at the firewall for various reasons. Potential buyers went poof, despite a very strong argument the changes he wanted to make were BIG improvements, it soured enough people that the project died.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I just cleaned mine, which had the cover, but still had loose and tarnished connections...I get the point of non-oem stuff, but could still see where someone doing a resto-mod would want something different.

The strip was just a picture to help spark the discussion. I like stock components on a vehicle, but am always interested in functional/proper mods and work arounds.
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 04-07-2012, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

I tend to agree, but how much more functionally improved can you get from a weather sealed Deutsch connector? and it was a deal killer.

I don't want to discourage you either, MUCH of what we do is look for good practical lower cost parts alternatives.

Its important to keep in mind what the weak link is for the 928, and that is good mechanics. We have decent to excellent parts in most cases that get improperly or incompletely installed, and when some of those are non stock, the chances for problems increases.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: