Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

928 front too low spoiler

HI wondering new owner of 928s 83 my lower spoiler chin is a little wear i find it too low seems that all 928 are too low in front and back seems higher, oil pan looks dangerious low,,,,
My question is there is wat to increase clearence like putting different shocks at front i panning to instal 17 or 18 twist 996 wheels taht will increase clearence and maybe pay machin shop for grill type protector for oil pan! any ideas?
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
if the shocks are original, they are definitely shot. if the space between your wheel (regular tire size) and fender is not at least 2 inches resting, then the springs may be gone too. the shocks (usually boge) were oil based vs gas and usually are dead by now. I'm planning to swap over to koni shocks all around. contact roger tyson, he had a special on them (all 4 shocks for 550 total including shipping). he might still have it if you are interested.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Network Native

The bottom of a 928 is not only low, very nearly the legal limit around 6", its fairly flat in the sense that the whole bottom is low, alternator, AC and oil pan.

Its important to have the front height set correctly otherwise proper alignment isn't possible and spoilers and other parts get expensive to replace.

You likely also need new motor mounts, but I would not be so sure springs are worn as opposed to cut or otherwise modified.

Pictures might help tell us what is going on.

Some of the 17 or 18 wheels are too narrow in front, and generally make no change in ride height as the larger diameter is compensated for with a shorter sidewall on the tires.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
if your really concerned about hitting oil pan on pavement. go to speedway motors and purchase thier rubber spring spacers. think i got mine for about 20 bucks. slid them into the springs and they stop car from using full suspension movement thus hitting pavement. much cheaper than fullout new suspension, and does not adjust your ride height.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
928 Newbie

Garage
There is a measurement for the ride height . A quick way is described here Ride Height - Quick Measurement

Check your motor mounts. The Oil Pan is supposed to be nearly level with the lower cross member/steering rack.

Low ride height with dead shocks mean more suspension travel..
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: