Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

86.5 engine dies while driving

Starts up easy and idles good but will die suddenly without any warning while driving. When it dies it starts right up again and i'll drive for while and it dies again.

Fuel pump and fuel filter are good (both new). Fuel injectors good (replaced by previous owner). I'm thinking it's electrical. What should I check besides relays?

Last edited by 1968-912-coupe; 06-16-2012 at 04:56 PM..
Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Network Native

Relay, relay, relay, fuse, ign switch, short in the fuel injection wiring.

Could be fuel or spark, but dies suddenly and immediately restarts, but guessing not without cycling the ignition key off and on? Or will it die going down the road and catch again and keep running?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Mine doe's exactly that.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
immediately restarts, but guessing not without cycling the ignition key off and on? Or will it die going down the road and catch again and keep running?

No, it doesn't start up again by itself, I have to turn the ignition key off and on again.

Last edited by 1968-912-coupe; 06-17-2012 at 02:23 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968-912-coupe View Post
No, it doesn't start up again by itself, I have to turn the ignition key off and on again.
Makes me suspect something happens due to cycling the ignition switch, not something random. Relay, or switch top my list.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
European Shark

Garage
Sounds a lot like a worn-out ignition switch...
Old 06-17-2012, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

intermittant running

The green wire carrying the hall signal can cause this.For some reason mine would hold a constant charge. This affected the fuel delivery or spark or both. The charge would disipate almost immediately at first and then the car would start and run until either hot or I turned it off and then would not start when hot. This time to restart got longer and longer so I traced it to the wire and found that if I ground it for an instant it would start. Because it was too intermittant and difficult to reach the distributor (not a 928)I finally just added a wire that poked out near the headlight.If the car did not start I got out and touched the stripped end of the wire to the headlight chrome.A small spark jumped and I was then able to start the engine. It was a fun car but......Lancia Beta 2000
Old 06-17-2012, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Network Native

86 will have cps instead of green wire, but those are usually random flaky, not key off and always restarts.

CPS crank position sensor.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Ignition Switch

Had a similar problem some time ago with an 86 1/2, was the ignition switch. Should also mention had a similar problem with a 1980, and it was a relay.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
today i put a new connector on the green wire. The old one was broken still the same i noticed when it gets warm it starts acting up sound's like the ignition module in side the dizzy any other thought's. with the car running i get 7.8v to the coil?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: