Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help with overheating

Hey guys. I have a friend that recently installed a super charger kit on his 1990 928. After installation he is having issues with the cooling system and his oil temp getting way to hot. The oil is getting too thin and pressure gets dangerously low. Does anyone have any ideas on this or possibly installed a SC and had the same issues.? I have never had any cooling problems on my 928, but never installed a SC either. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Network Native

Super charger allows more power, more power means more heat needs to be dissipated which could be too much for the existing systems.

Does he have overheating issues while driving sanely, cruising down the highway, sitting at an idle? If so maybe the basic cooling system is having issues?

Is the AFR (air fuel ratio) fully sorted out? Running too lean makes a motor run hot.

Make sure the factory system is working properly, maybe check some temperatures on the radiator.

Do you have an oil cooler, maybe you should have a nice big one?
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I agree with DanglerB about an oil cooler but also what weight of oil is he using? I prefer Castrol 20W50 and I've used it in both of my 928s, run countless drags and street races without any problems.
Start with a fresh thermostat. It's cheap and easy to install. If that doesn't work flush the system and add new antifreeze formulated for aluminum radiators. I'm also a firm believer in Redline Water Wetter. Also make sure the electric fans are working correctly. Not to be a tool, but this stuff should have been done before a SC was added. Hopefully he did the timing belt service before adding a SC.
1970 Porsche 911T Black/Black
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Who sold him the super charger? Was it made for the 928 specifically? These are the problems one runs into when modifying the stock set up.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

He bought the SC kit from 928 Motorsports. To my knowledge the radiator etc is new and the cooling system was serviced. Not sure if he has an oil cooler like I do on my 86.5. He is using 15/50 oil in it. I use the 20/50 too etc. in winter.
Thanks for the ideas. Pretty much along the lines I was thinking except DangB brought up a interesting point about the fuel/air ratio being correct. Didn't think of that.
Thanks again guys.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: