Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Do it again?

Been looking at 928's for awhile & may take the plunge-but the problems found here make me question that thought. I know- more $, less problems.
I'm wondering if you would buy this same car again. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I am still a newb (had my car about 15months)I have a 78 928. I've put more time into working on it than driving(which is understandable, I bought it non-running and been getting it in shape). The one thing that has made me question if it is the car for me is that I used to drag race some and it is not the car for that. Aside from that I really enjoy both the behind the wheel time and the wrench time.They are unique.

Last edited by 928Shane; 07-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
oilcan i use mine as a daily driver and i would do it all again yes i have had some problems but overall it was somebody else's mistake and not the car just recently i had a problem with my car getting hot and not wanting to run at idle ? what i found after going through the receipts. the PO was experiencing the same problem he changed every thing and just last night i found the +- terminals on the coil were reversed today no problem's at 105' in traffic. just do the basic's fluid vacuum line's fuel line's filter's tune up etc. If you can get paper work from the previous owner it will help you back track. i will tell you one thing i have owned a great many car's but this is the most fun so far. You'll fall in love at the first curvy road.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Network Native

I've heard writers when asked about taking up the profession say if you have a choice don't do it. Writing is demanding work, and if you don't have the compulsion to do it, you won't have the drive needed to keep at it and be successful. I think the same is true of the 928, if it doesn't continuously eat at you not to have one, buy a Camry and cheaply toddle along with the rest of life not thinking about cars.

If the lure of the 928 has grabbed you, then I have two opposing views; buy the right car, the best possible condition and exactly what you want, vs, buy one, nothing educates you on what you like and what you want, like owning a 928.

I know I have learned a bunch, and more importantly vastly changed my opinions on a number of things, but what is weird is that I am not sure how my present knowledge would change my past actions. I've seen ONE 928, the recent non sunroof 85 Euro 5 spd, that I "might" buy vs my US 83 non sunroof 5 spd I bought almost 5 years ago. I have "some" regrets on not buying two other Euro's, but both were automatics with sunroofs, one before I found my US 83 that was a "good" condition daily driver CHEAP, and a couple years ago an 84 at a very good price and excellent low mileage condition. That's three 928's in 5 years I wish now I had bought, but only one raising the question of it vs my 83, and maybe two more that I think might have been fun ( a GT in a cheap forced sale, and nice 86 5 spd).

Know what you can spend. Don't let a cheap price lure you in, buy as nice as you can.

Don't look for places to spend money, especially right away. Have someone expert in the 928 look it over, do a PPI or most of one, then dig into the car as much as you can and do all the grunt jobs. Make the car "safe" to drive and drive it some before dumping in serious dollars. After driving the car six months your priority list may radically change, and if you have already spent your money on potentially non essential bits your kind of stuck.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Danglerb Well said !!!! Knowledge and experience forego youth and ambition
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Get the cleanest, best cared for one you can afford. There are still some nice ones out there. Just look at what a cheap new car costs today.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 07-05-2012, 06:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Danglerb did say it pretty darn good. if u get 1 get what u want and spend the extra or buy a non runner and figure it out. its like a complicated women-u never know! lol!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Would I do it again? Yes, for reasons only I fully understand, I think. Personal reasons and friends who love Porsches helped me take the dive. 3k plus 500 for parts and 600 for tires. The interior was worth 1200 alone.

But, you never know what or where these cars have been thorough or done to in 31 years. Ask me how I know.....Get a PPI as suggested.

Mine has No A/C - No Heat presently but drives and feels good. If I loose the 4k (car explodes or something) I figure I am only out 1 year of payments on a used car or truck. I have driven mine for 2.4 years and I have learned a little about 928s. Good stuff to know I figure. If you are not learning, you may as well pull a sheet over your body.

DanglerB - (you smart guy) - listen to what he said or buy a Mazda MX5. That is what I will buy next after dabbling in 928s, if I can fit into it.

1981 928
Old 07-05-2012, 09:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Absolutely yes. I would buy everyone that I have owned except the first one. I didn't listen to my head and bought a terrific money sinkhole. Worked on it for 4 years and finally drove it twice to discover a bad head gasket. Buy the best available car for your money, work on it, drive it , and enjoy it!
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 07-06-2012, 08:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I have not even completed doing it the first time, and I am ready to do it again (except no $$$), but I like to fix broke shizzz....
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I would do it again on any 4.7 liter. I have been considering another 1984 928 for a while. I think once you weed out the problems of the engine and transmission, the rest of the problems are unimportant. You should focus on a running, driving, reliable car. When you get to that point with a 928, you're better off than many 928 owners.
1970 Porsche 911T Black/Black
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah- you're all correct. A moment of weakness.
It's just bucks- in the end
Old 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I am less than $1k in so far, learning a lot, and enjoy working on it so much....I don't regret my decision for a second... (yet)
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

In the hopes of not sounding like a true rube in a purchase from e-bay( which is the real truth), what is the concensus regarding the credability of any of the info offered,e.g. " auto-check score", etc. Your opinions will be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Ebay Emails -

Hey Oilcan, Buying a vehicle (or anything other large purchase for that matter) off of Ebay can be quite the experience. Read between the lines and question any odd sounding line in the description. Use the Ebay email portal to document and verify any and every discussion that you might have with the seller. From experience (don't ask) those emails can save you lots of grief if there is a discrepancy and/or disagreement after the money has changed hands.

Good Luck, Michael
Lady in Red - 1985 Porsche 928S
Billy Bob - 2002 Porsche Boxster Spyder
Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
In the hopes of not sounding like a true rube in a purchase from e-bay( which is the real truth), what is the concensus regarding the credability of any of the info offered,e.g. " auto-check score", etc. Your opinions will be appreciated.
Common sense and being "street wise" is my advise. I would never buy a car without seeing it in person, looking it over, driving it and getting all info possible about its history. If you don't know much, then at least bring someone who does with you. Even if all looks fine, sometimes things come up later that you could not have seen. Used cars are a gamble unless you have some sort of warranty from a reputable dealer or something. All said and done, you can find some really nice used cars at a good price.

A friend of mine bought a Pontiac some years ago at a car auction. He brought his mechanic buddy along. That lemon has been a sink hole for $$. When the trans went out I said get rid of it, but he has sunk so much money into this piece of junk he refuses to give up and keeps adding to a bottomless pit. The car is not even any collectable. Another GM piece of crap.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 07-08-2012, 09:25 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
Oilcan,
Those autocheck scores can be very misleading. They seem to be mileage oriented. The higher the miles, the lower the score. I have seen VERY nice examples with high miles get a very low score and SORRY examples with low miles get high scores.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 07-08-2012, 03:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
1979 5sp 928 project

Garage
Oilcan,

It really all depends on how submersed into your "hobby" you are willing to go. These cars seem like spaceships when you first dive into them and are completely different from anything else you will ever work on.
That said....What a wonderful-frustrating-head rubbing high!

I bought my '79 non-runner about six months ago and dove in with both hands...determined that it would not beat me.

the one thing I had going for me was this forum and you will have this wealth of knowledge as well. (if something stumps you, put it out there and someone here will have gone through the same thing...space ship...remember.

I have seen a few in my local area from $3500 to $11,000 that are "running" and "driveable" and a few of them have made me rethink my decision on my non-runner...but in the end...I have fallen in love with the challenge and would not trade mine for any of these. (I wouldn't have had even $3500 to begin with...although I have almost reached that amount over the six months.)

I just drove mine on a 45 mile highway trip and returned with a smile on my face knowing that I got her running.

I realize that turning wrenches is not for everyone, but a true 928 owner needs to know how they work. I have had a number of people that have watched me through the process tell me that "not only do you own a Porsche 928, but you can carry the tool bag with you as well." Generalized quotes of course.

Bottom line; If you have the bug, get one and dive into the mystery...I haven't heard of a single person that regreted it. If you have the money, spend what you can up front to get one with fewer problems...the less up front the better...but know that you will have issues regardless and the thing that scares Tom, Dick and Harry away is to have to send it to a mechanic for the solution.

Do what I did...buy a non runner and get her going. Nothing scares you after that. Just remember to thank all these guys on this forum for getting you through the rough stuff.

I would do it again, but don't have to yet.

Cheers

Last edited by BoiseShark; 07-11-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Old 07-10-2012, 11:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I totally agree with Boise Shark. I bought a non running '84 928 4.7 that was complete but needed everything. It didn't scare me because I owned many 944s and 924s before that. I dove in with a vengeance to learn and low and behold I had the old car running in two weeks.
Then I got wild. I figured I had a $1300 928S and a nice 944 so I would use the 928 as my play mobile. After doing my damndest to break the 928 and race everything that moved, I kept finding more $hit wrong with my 944 when I really babied it compared to the 928. So I made the decision that the 928 was a more robust, sophisticated, and higher quality automobile (as it is) and I let the 944 go.
I've missed my 944s at times, but with the power and sound of my '83 928S I really haven't looked back fondly on the 944s or 924s that I've owned. Even after buying my 911 T, I bought another 928 when I had other pretty nice 911s available to me.
I've now restored my '84 into a pretty nice car. I did the complete interior except the dash, timing belt and water pump, radiator, trans service, a tune up and a new old stock front spoiler. She's a little low in the front but I like her that way. To some people the 928 is complicated, but to me it's easy as pie. One can get all nervous just looking at the relay panel until you realize that 85 percent of it is useless to the cars running engine and transmission.
I've owned ten Porsches but my favorite to wrench on is the 4.7 liter 928. As Porsche's top of the line flagship model, the 16 valve 928 lives up to everything that is 911 and more. $hit, I'll blow a timing belt and be back racing the next day. Try that in any 911 and see how you fare. Try that in a 959. I realize that its not a design feature as much as it is a fluke, but non interference is pretty exceptional in the world of expensive high powered cars. The 16 valve 928 is a beast unto itself and I adore it. The 32 valve is a bigger beast, but it comes at a price, and to me that price is not worth the hassle any more than the 944 is. I'm happy with the power of the 4.7. It's all I need.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 07-12-2012 at 04:59 AM..
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Porsche newbie

Garage
My take is a little different. My 87 928 is my first and only Porsche so far. I have definitely enjoyed it and learned a lot about these cars. I have previously owned classic American muscle, but this car is handles like it's on rails and the acceleration is better. While I enjoy my 928, I'm thinking that when I return to the USA, I would like to try something different like a Jaguar XK8 or XKR. I love the looks of them. I am also very interested in owning a new Dodge Challenger. Would I do it again - emphatically yes, but I want to experience something else.

Last edited by Niles; 07-12-2012 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: