Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
#@*% Seats!

Ok so seats go up, down, forward, backwards, seat back goes back, seat back goes forw.........crap. Now I have a seat laid way back is there a mechanical override to get it back up?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Pain aren't they. Those 30 year old switches really take a beating. Did you try and pull up on the seat back as you tap the switch?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, pulled. Pushed and pulled. Cursed pushed and pulled. All to no avail
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Network Native

Buy a new switch, or look at the wiring diagram and jump it, carefully.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
If an older model, take the switch panel off the other seat and use it to drive the back where you want it.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My seat did something similar in the '81 when I first got it. Turned out there was just enough corrosion on the contact to keep those precious electrons from making the jump through. The switch panel is way easy to take off in the older cars (6 way). Just remove it and take the offending switch apart & clean the contacts with a bit of sand paper or a Dremel with a pointy gritty tip (I did mine at the kitchen table rather than the cluttered garage). Go easy with a Dremel though and there are two small springs that REALLY want to fly off to where ever left socks disappear to. Mine worked like a charm after.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
1982 928 us

Garage
switch is one thing, no more lube and all the gunk, possible metal gear shaving added to the jam.
the switch will only struggle for so long, binding and unbinding the little motors and relube.

taking the 4 bolts out from frame and disconnect under seat wiring pull the seat flip it over/protect fabric then switch panel connects plug can get all cleaned up , a battery charger pos/neg clamps can run three.. seperate motors slow slow for every tooth and channel then itll run faster and faster, lube .

tapping the switch for quick response vs laying on it 1. plastic toggles itll get stuck or break what it clips into, 2. circuitry pieces will go flying/missing /not know how to put together and 3. no matter how long your laying on the switch there no amout of voltage/motor heating/ burnout/gears all struggling grinding away thats gonna plow through the crap back n forth to bust through it and now struggle its way down/unevenly metal crap unlubed rails to lift ones f ass. thats f as in fantastic pcar seat. lol.

if ur doing just 1/ 2. switches- careful

Last edited by lfausty; 09-22-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I'm not gonna read all that **** over a seat.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
1982 928 us

Garage
nope you can scroll past anything anyones says. til it suits just you.

but you have to do all the **** to the seat if you want it to work

hey be thankful after the jobs done and your greasy being was all over the seat that i didnt add in the upholstery workings. right?

you can wait til someone posts get a wsm. end of thread. hmm did the person do it or not, how many people coming to a dead thread also needed info. or repeatedly turn around and post the topic to the top or ask the same question in many other forums only to find it everywhere you go.

which like the same looking switches and many of them in the pcar all do the same operational function that should help to fix many others if/when needed . and has been asked and answered mucho times for yrs.

shoot the messenger... forgive me and anyone for having to great creative in answering- reading the same question answers over and over . ill stay technical militant yes sir sir. peace out later dude, sorry couldnt resist.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler

If you can reach under the seat its possible to switch leads and use a working switch or a separate hot lead to operate that motor. Assuming the motor works. No mechanical workaround for the recline, as the motor and linkage is all located in the seat back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfausty View Post
nope you can scroll past anything anyones says. til it suits just you.

but you have to do all the **** to the seat if you want it to work

hey be thankful after the jobs done and your greasy being was all over the seat that i didnt add in the upholstery workings. right?

you can wait til someone posts get a wsm. end of thread. hmm did the person do it or not, how many people coming to a dead thread also needed info. or repeatedly turn around and post the topic to the top or ask the same question in many other forums only to find it everywhere you go.

which like the same looking switches and many of them in the pcar all do the same operational function that should help to fix many others if/when needed . and has been asked and answered mucho times for yrs.

shoot the messenger... forgive me and anyone for having to great creative in answering- reading the same question answers over and over . ill stay technical militant yes sir sir. peace out later dude, sorry couldnt resist.
Love it!

Maleficio, if you still had a seat, my bet is that you'd have read it.
(And then fixed it your own creative way, with insulation wraps and high tech lubricant).

Like everybody says, the early rocker switches are easy to disassemble and clean.
On some versions I've run into a plastic pivot point that wears out, so they are toast.

The newer 4 way switches can also be disassembled but reassembly is a PITA.

I've had better, more lasting results on the later seats by replacing the switches.
But also, disassembling and cleaning the mechanicals, such as the screw drives at the base and some of the cables. That decreases the load on the seat electrical components. Sticky old grease may be the problem and burned switches the symptom

Last edited by Landseer; 09-23-2012 at 03:40 AM..
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage

Last edited by Maleficio; 09-23-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Old 09-23-2012, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: