Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Porsche 928 Technical Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/)
-   -   my 81 928 won't start...help (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928-technical-forum/761681-my-81-928-wont-start-help.html)

81headache 07-18-2013 06:30 AM

my 81 928 won't start...help

SmileWavyMy 1981 928 sat for a few years and last year was taken to local repair shop where a friend works due to money this was a slow project. The car ran when it arrived needed to be checked out brakes exhaust etc. also clutch slave cylinder needed to replaced and was done and working car ran and drove...not by me...in finishing up work they went through some little things and replaced window switch that wasn't working. Now car won't start turns over but no spark they have gone through things that know to look for but to no end they are familiar with cars like this that have strange systems.:confused:

They are now wanting me to bring it home little frustrated one don't wanna pay for another tow and two it ran when it got there.:mad: I am no mechanic I'm a chef this was my dads car and its more memories than value I drove this car for first time 22 years ago. I have been looking thriugh forums for a couple days now and need your help I have seen alot about crankshaft position sensor but on later model 28s can't find one for 81 so not really sure if it has one two or not at all hoping it does and seems like easy fix. Any suggestions or info would be awesome.:cool:

mikebloomfield 07-18-2013 07:28 AM

weighing in with limited knowledge

Some more knowledgable members will comment I hope, but the first thing I would ask them to do is check the fuses and replace the fuel injection relay. They can find the relay chart in the owner's manual, if you have it. You can get one from Pelican and have them install it.

If you can list what they fixed, maybe we can figure out the systems they touched and can narrow it down a little. Are you sure you have spark? Have them confirm that the fuel pump is running. If it isn't it might just be the fuel pump relay. The electrical systems in these cars are now over 30 years old and therefore a little fragile. Especially the 14 pin connector on the passenger side.

Also, a car that has been sitting for a while is going to need other things, like a look at the fuel lines to make sure they're safe. Therefore, another option that I would suggest is to tow it to a place that knows about these cars and the common problems. Maybe a member here can weigh in on someone in Ohio.

Good luck! I get the sentimental value thing. I have a Ronson lighter my dad had in the Navy. I spent stupid money to get it fixed and I don't even smoke.

neil30076 07-18-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 81headache (Post 7556134)
SmileWavyMy 1981 928 sat for a few years and last year was taken to local repair shop where a friend works due to money this was a slow project. The car ran when it arrived needed to be checked out brakes exhaust etc. also clutch slave cylinder needed to replaced and was done and working car ran and drove...not by me...in finishing up work they went through some little things and replaced window switch that wasn't working. Now car won't start turns over but no spark they have gone through things that know to look for but to no end they are familiar with cars like this that have strange systems.:confused:

They are now wanting me to bring it home little frustrated one don't wanna pay for another tow and two it ran when it got there.:mad: I am no mechanic I'm a chef this was my dads car and its more memories than value I drove this car for first time 22 years ago. I have been looking thriugh forums for a couple days now and need your help I have seen alot about crankshaft position sensor but on later model 28s can't find one for 81 so not really sure if it has one two or not at all hoping it does and seems like easy fix. Any suggestions or info would be awesome.:cool:

You don't state if this is a CIS or L-Jet car, I'll assume its an L-jet, like one of mine.
Anyway -NO cps on an 81.
How do you know its getting gas - Does the fuel pump run for a few seconds when you turn the ignition key on?
Have you tried a small amount of starter fluid sprayed into the air intake - does it try to start?
Is the green wire from the distributor, across the front rail to the Bosch box ok?

928gene928 07-18-2013 07:44 AM

I also agree that the best place to check is the fuel injection relay. I use to have times when my car would not start, and after a lot of parts and searching, it was the relay.

81headache 07-18-2013 07:57 AM

thank u both for your responses the car turns over but gets no spark I believe they have check the fuses. I will check the green wire from distributor when I stop there tomorrow. Would the fuel injector relay cause it to not spark?

@928gene928 just a funny note this was my dads car and his middle name was Eugene and always went by Gene just a funny coincidence

thanks again for some starting ideas

81headache 07-18-2013 08:06 AM

also not sure about if its a cis or l-jet not sure what that is actually but if it matters I will find out and post

mikebloomfield 07-18-2013 08:24 AM

Engine management systems

CIS and L-Jet are the engine management systems. It controls the air and fuel mix for optimal running.

It looks like CIS ended in the 1979 MY for US cars. Which means unless your car is a Euro, you have L-Jet. Does your car have a fog light to the left of the rear bumper? If not, it is a US car.

Which is good news, because my impression is getting CIS to work right is harder than the L-Jet, but that may be just me.

whatudrivin 07-18-2013 08:27 AM

Could be the green wire too

Yellowb1rd 07-18-2013 08:52 AM

I concur with the others that you may want to consider checking those relay connectors on the passenger side fuse panel. If you don't hear that little fuel pump whine with the ignition on, then it could either be the relay, or the connection on the relay needs to be cleaned, and then reseated... with the battery disconnected, of course.

81headache 07-18-2013 10:07 AM

us car for sure gonna spend a little time with it tomorow and repost with any results thanks

928gene928 07-18-2013 10:34 AM

Another area to consider is the ignition switch itself, especially on older cars, the actual internal contacts can wear out and fail. This is one of the things I changed during my investigations.

81headache 07-19-2013 08:11 AM

alright much thanks to all the fuel injector relay has gotten me 80percent farther than we have been in a year. we have spark and with starting fluid got engine to fire now to figure out why why aren't getting enough fuel gonna start with fuel pump relay

Gonzotiki_666 07-19-2013 08:39 AM

Wonky alarm will cause no start also. Ask me how I know! ;-)

AirtekHVAC 07-19-2013 03:56 PM

Relays, pumps, filters, accumulator, wur, check / clean / replace those items.

81headache 07-23-2013 04:32 AM

well still not starting without starting fluid runs for a few seconds then dies can hear fuel pump spin up I am thinking fuel filter gumed up from sitting and not allowing a enough gas to get to engine

MPDano 07-23-2013 04:52 AM

Bring a new fuel pump relay or two wires and a rocker switch and drive it back home. A picture is worth a thousand words. Post a pic of the engine bay. We'll tell you what injection system you have. Like Neil says, it's most likely L-Jet.

curtisr 07-23-2013 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MPDano (Post 7564334)
Bring a new fuel pump relay or two wires and a rocker switch and drive it back home.

Comme ci:

Ends go into the slots (centre on the top and bottom) that correspond to the 30 and 87 tangs on the relay.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1374584737.jpg

I've had no-start issues with my '82 thanks to a) bad relay and b) bad relay socket connections.

81headache 07-23-2013 05:27 AM

I bought a new fuel pump relay and put in yesterday when we hit it with starting fluid it starts but dont think its gettin the gas it needs to stay running

MPDano 07-23-2013 05:36 AM

Use the switch as Curtis shows, once you activate it and you don't hear your pump kick in, then there's your problem. I'm done on this thread unless you can provide us a pic of your engine. It's moot trying to help when there are two different injection systems for your year.

81headache 07-23-2013 05:46 AM

will try rocker swtich and get some pics of engine