Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1980 Porsche 928

Garage
1980 automatic Transmission slips

I recently noticed that the transmission in my 1980 slips when it leaves first gear (automatic Three speed-80,000 miles), just slightly. You almost wouldnt notice except for every once in awhile. This is the only time it does it. All other gears are fine. It then occured to me that I never changed or checked the transmission fluid (Car sat for about 15 years). Seeing how it is 0 degrees outside and snowy. Are there any shops that you would reccommend to get it changed quickly? I imagine you guys are against places like Jiffy Lube and I never take my cars there or anywhere really. However I have no time and it is very cold. Just looking for opinions or any type of help. Thank you
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Yup, low fluid will do this. Get a tranny filter kit for your 3 speed and fresh Dex/Merc Trans Fluid. I use Castrol
Old 02-10-2014, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I've trained the guy at my local Oil Stop. What a PITA place to put the reservior. I have a slow seep & they offer free top offs so it works out.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Network Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzotiki_666 View Post
I've trained the guy at my local Oil Stop. What a PITA place to put the reservior. I have a slow seep & they offer free top offs so it works out.
It can be done, basically pick a shop that is convenient and train them to do it right. Oddly enough the lower down the food chain you start, as long as you are patient and persistent, the better luck you "may" have. You need somebody smart enough to learn how to do it right, but not so smart or experienced that they are sure they already know.

I'd also bring my own fluid and parts.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Buy a $5 fluid transfer pump is all you need to put fluid in the reservoir.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1980 Porsche 928

Garage
What is the procedure exactly? Does it need to be running or warm? Or do I just top it off
Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
level and running temp
Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: