Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Looking at a '83, missing the chin strap, options?

HI guys -

might be joining you shortly - I'm looking at a 928 (1983 5spd). Hope to see it this weekend - but have a pre-viewing question for the group:

The Guy says it is missing the 'chin strap', which I'm assuming is that air-dam looking thingy.

What are the options? Are they un-obtanium, or are there other choices if I cannot find an original replacement?

thanks in advance, and thanks for all the great info here about these cars!!

cheers

td
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
They are all broken as they sit very low and are usually the victim of a parking block. Easily obtainable. I believe Roger at ************ are around $400
Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Front air dams are easy to get, as MPDano said they are $4-500. Just make sure the holes in the fenders where they mount aren't pulled out, the grill slats are still all straight, and the ducts for the front brakes are still there!

I have an 83 5 speed and love it! Good luck!
Old 05-08-2014, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Network Native

83 5 spd is fine choice, make sure you have the car inspected by someone expert in the 928, not porches, not foreign cars, but someone that messes with a dozen or more 928's and knows them inside and out.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
83 5 spd is fine choice, make sure you have the car inspected by someone expert in the 928, not porches, not foreign cars, but someone that messes with a dozen or more 928's and knows them inside and out.
Thanks guys -

so who is that in the Bay Area? the 928 expert? I'd go to Tom Ammon for 911's - but not sure who the 928 guy might be?

thanks

td
Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
80 928

Garage
Be careful who you choose for your mechanic. Just because someone is a Porsche mechanic, doesn't necessarily mean they are proficient on 928's. Inspect your prospective purchase closely. As I've learned the hard way... buying the best car you can afford, pays dividends later.

Last edited by XLR8928; 05-09-2014 at 10:13 AM..
Old 05-09-2014, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Where in the bay? I know 2 spots in Oakland.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Bauer Porsche at 444 23rd st. And Porboys on E9th st
Old 05-10-2014, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadink View Post
Thanks guys -

so who is that in the Bay Area? the 928 expert? I'd go to Tom Ammon for 911's - but not sure who the 928 guy might be?

thanks
td
Td,

I do not know any P928 mechanics in the bay area, I do all my own wrenching.

The dealer guy's in Burlingame knows how to read the manual (like most of the P'car mech's) but not the finessing. When I asked a question trying to confirm a workaround for flashing US Brights ('flashing the driving lights while Headlamps are down' in a book titled -- Up-fixing das Porsche)...all he could do is look up the schematic but could not follow the flow...

I hope you find what you need.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
North bay has Hi Tech in San Rafael or Bill Ravina at Ignacio Motorsports.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyshark View Post
Bauer Porsche at 444 23rd st. And Porboys on E9th st
Correct " Chris " at Bauer Porsche is as good as you can get
But they moved they are first rate
new address :
601 Brush St, Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 834-2772
Old 05-11-2014, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
and so I looked at and drove the 1983 928s yesterday -

history: the guy purchased it on a trailer for $2k, and then went to work to get it all cleaned up. New timing chain, new gaskets, charged the a/c, cleaned the injectors, all new fuel lines, new vacuum lines. The car engine did sound good, started right up, good idle, all gauges worked, etc.

paint was a respray, with some orange peel around the rear quarters, and a miserable drip line on the bumper. Some denting that had been 'worked' a bit on the rear drivers quarter, but otherwise shiny and generally a good 5 footer.

driving was a challenge - I could not get the seat to lower enough to accommodate me, I assume that these seats do actually go down and that there are 6 foot tall 928 owners in the world? Seems like driving with helmet on would always be a challenge? So, I reclined enough to get inside.

Gear lever was quite loose feeling, no 2nd gear synchro's, but car revved well and pulled strong. Kind of soft feeling generally on our bumpy road, but comfy.

There were some rattles and loose sounds coming from under the car - I presume I could chase those down - but it did not feel nor sound completely solid.

I'll have to go drive some others to be sure I know what a well sorted 928 is supposed to feel like - but this one leaves a question mark in my mind. If we proceed, I'll certainly get it over to one of the guys mentioned above for a thorough checking over.

The 'deal' is sweet if it works out - I've got a a/x prepped 914 (lightweight, 2.0L, fuel injected, 916 fr/rear bumpers and flares, carbon fibre front hood, f'glass rear) that runs great. I don't think there could be 2 more different Porsches side by side, either in looks or driving characteristics! Mine is go-kart harsh, but also corners like a go-kart too! The 928 is 'comfortable' - smoothing out the lumps and bumps in the road. And - even though the 914 is probably worth more than this 928, we are considering a straight swap. I can't take the 'teener on long road trips and have some journeys coming up this summer - SF to LA a few times, then SF to SEA, etc. The 928 would be perfect for that!

thanks for your help - I'll keep the board posted on the progress....

cheers

td
Old 05-12-2014, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Antsmands

Garage
Love my 83S. Sounds like a good car for you also!
1983S 5 Speed / Platinum Metallic / Dark Brown Interior / GE NightHawk LED Headlights / Super Bright LED / Flex-a-lite Cooling Fan / Dragon Gauges / Custom Auto Sounds Spare Tire Sub Woofer / H3R HalGuard Fire Bottle
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Network Native

83 is when the sunroof delete became rare, almost gone by 84. If you are tall and even thinking about track time, you need a non sunroof car.

Car you looked at sounds like a perfect example of why its essential for an expert inspection, its a V8, they all pull strong etc. Fixing 2nd gear could mean clutch rebuilding as well as the transmission, and that generally exceeds the cost of buying the car.

I understand the appeal of a trade, but it sure makes a transaction that has issues a ton more messy.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
If you are tall and even thinking about track time, you need a non sunroof car.

uh oh - really??? how tall is tall? I'm 6'2", not a particularly long torso - but had a real issue getting into the '83 I drove the other day - had to lay flat almost. I had assumed the seat would not go down due to a faulty switch - but it was pretty uncomfortable the way it was. No way I could have worn a helmet, I could not even wear my golf hat!!

I do want some DE track time and might do some a/x, even tho' I don't suspect this is a particularly good platform for the a/x? Either way - need helmets for both....ugh, it is rare enough finding a decent 5sp, now I'm searching for a rare sunroof delete 5spd? LOL - what if that guy that has 'it' does not want to sell? How many were made?

thx

td
Old 05-13-2014, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadink View Post
If you are tall and even thinking about track time, you need a non sunroof car.

uh oh - really??? how tall is tall? I'm 6'2"
If you search the forum here or at RL you'll find much more on the subject of tall drivers than what I can offer other than this: get racing seats. These will buy you the extra inch or two you're looking for. Perhaps more.
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 05-13-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Network Native

The sunroof takes a couple inches of headroom out, power seats maybe another inch vs manual factory seats, with racing seats "maybe" another inch lower.

Too bad you didn't attend Sharks in the Park a couple weekends ago, dozen's of 928's to look at and sit in etc.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
SharkHead

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Too bad you didn't attend Sharks in the Park a couple weekends ago, dozen's of 928's to look at and sit in etc.
I missed that one.
Where was the anouncement for the "Sharks in the Park" which park...Golden Gate??

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Network Native

NORCAL928 Tilden park Berkley.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: