Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest 928 v. 968

I'm a newbie here and I've got an important question

I'll soon (hopefully) will be in the market for a front engine Porsche and, in my opinion, the two best cars in that category are the 928 and the 968. I am wondering what the opinions of the forum are and if I could get some pros and cons of each. I currently have a Corvette which I will be putting on the market to assist me in my purchase.

I like the looks of both, and frankly, that's probably because they look quite similar. The 928 is appealing because of the power but a detractor for me is its GT like nature, as opposed to a sports car such as the 968. I've always been a 944 turbo fan but the body on the 968 is beautiful and notwithstanding the turbo S, has more power. My concern with it is its power, however, as it only has a stock rating of 236. I'm not against modifications that net decent gains with little invasiveness but can one expect close to 300 naturally aspirated, reliable HP out of a 968 without tearing the lower half of the engine apart to get it?

I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you are looking for a 968, DocMirror on RL has one for sale. It's a pretty nice example of a 968, and he's caught up with the deferred maintenance. Give him a PM on RL

No affiliation, but I have ridden in it.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 07-25-2014, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I have/had both a 928 and a 944 turbo. While the 928 has higher hp numbers the 944 was quicker and more nimble. The 928 was a much better street car though, it is smooth and has torque at low rpms. If your going to stay on the street I would get a nice 928. I would get a 944/968 for the track. If you want real HP you need the turbo. It is very costly to get hp increases in NA cars. Generally I don't think it's really worth it. You may get a small increase from some exhaust mods but after that it's real expensive for little gain.
Depending of the year of your Vette both the Porsches will seem inadequate power wise when you compare them. If you have any Vette made in the last 15 years these Porsche's will feel gutless.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Network Native

Three very different cars, vette, 928, and 968. Neither Porsche is going feel anything close to the vette for power, unless its an OLD vette, and no I don't think 300 hp out of a 968 will happen easy or cheap. If you look hard you should be able to find a very nice 968 for about what a much closer to average 928 will sell for, which is about half what a very nice 928 sells for.

What don't you like about the vette?
Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was in this exact quandry. I don't have my car yet, but I decided on a 928, even though the 968 felt like the more practical and long-term cost-effective solution. There just seemed more passion in the 928, car and community alike.

One thing I will say about the 928 though, since power is on your mind, I would stay away from anything older than '85 if it's a US-model car. The older 16v motors in US trim only had about 220 - 240 hp, depending on model year. The Euro models had more (300 - 310) but I think had some pretty long gearing. The one I'm getting is an '86.5 FWIW.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Having owned several sports cars, the 928 is a pretty great car. Of course we are dealing with an older car, so don't expect it to have all the glitter, power and electronics of a new Vette. But it will handle very well and I think styling wise is far superior. Then again, you won't see one around the corner every 10 minutes!
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

"Three very different cars, vette, 928, and 968. Neither Porsche is going feel anything close to the vette for power, unless its an OLD vette, and no I don't think 300 hp out of a 968 will happen easy or cheap. If you look hard you should be able to find a very nice 968 for about what a much closer to average 928 will sell for, which is about half what a very nice 928 sells for.

What don't you like about the vette?"

Awesome feedback, everyone. It's greatly appreciated. Concerning the 'Vette, it's a nicely restored 1977 t-top, red on red with the original 350 V8. If any of you are into Vettes, you'll know that this model produced a pathetic 180, emissions choked horsepower and was only a little less anemic than the 1975, Corvette's darkest year, power-wise. I really love the car, as I've owned for over ten years handling the restoration myself as I drove it. I'd like to experience and learn something new and different, and with a growing family it's nice to be able to stuff small kids in the back, something a 'Vette owner cant even think about in today's world. 928s and 968s are on my radar, as I'm not ready to spend the coin it's going to require for a good 964 or 993 C2/C4. Whichever car I choose, I plan to enjoy periodically on the track. If I can't get too much power from the 968, I'd probably shoot for a reduction in weight to compensate.

Last edited by Kaikman; 07-27-2014 at 04:18 AM..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
The 928 has better weight distribution than your old Vette. It's handling is superior. The body is mostly aluminum. There have been a few really clean ones on here that came up for sale recently, I think one for around $15K. Try and find one that has been maintained or you may get real disappointed as your wallet empties out at a monumental rate!
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L
Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Network Native

928 rear seat has less headroom that may be obvious, but the curve of the roof takes out headroom fast. Legroom is the other issue, and can be a serious factor if the front seat is all the way back or reclined as many taller drivers prefer. That said, kids of small are "ok" in the back seat.

1977 vette explains much. Why not swap out the motor for a less tame 350 and keep the stock to put back in if desired?

Are you thinking about the 928 remaining stock, if so how stock?

Any smog inspection issues where you live?

What are your automotive skills?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
928 rear seat has less headroom that may be obvious, but the curve of the roof takes out headroom fast. Legroom is the other issue, and can be a serious factor if the front seat is all the way back or reclined as many taller drivers prefer. That said, kids of small are "ok" in the back seat.

1977 vette explains much. Why not swap out the motor for a less tame 350 and keep the stock to put back in if desired?

Are you thinking about the 928 remaining stock, if so how stock?

Any smog inspection issues where you live?

What are your automotive skills?
I've thought about the engine swap on the Vette but have decided to turn to something more modern that I can drive a little more often, as the Vette is a bit crude. Initially I was thinking C5 Z06 but have always wanted a front engine Porsche, so I figure this is as good a time as any to scratch that itch. Plus, the C5's probably have a bit of depreciation left, whereas the 928's and 968's should have already hit bottom. I'd like to eventually step up to a 964 or 993 for long-term ownership.

Any car I buy will have mild to moderate modifications done to exhaust, wheels, suspension and possibly light engine work.

Since I live in rural Ohio, smog inspection is a non-issue. Can a 16v 928 be brought up to par with the 32v cars?

I am an average mechanic and can fix most issues. My downside is my troubleshooting and diagnostic abilities, which I'd like to improve upon. I feel like a Porsche would help me expand my skill set above and beyond what I've learned on early American (60's & 70's) automobiles.

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Network Native

16v Euro compares to the 32v well. The 32v has the edge on torque, but 32v cars are heavier later models. In theory 4v vs 2v has a max flow advantage of about 5%, but in practice the advantage is mostly low end where the 4v gets good flow at lower lifts.

Once you start messing with engine internals, cost of 2v mods are half that of 4v mods because you have half the cams, half the valves and lifters, half the ports to machine etc.

Buy an old Porsche and you will become quite adept at electrical work and general troubleshooting.

OTOH we are all in the same boat, so most issues are well documented.

My question was more of the type of work, mechanical vs body and paint vs electrical etc. I'm game for anything I can put a wrench to, and fine with electrical stuff, paint and body not so much.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Danglerb, you are a wealth of knowledge! I don't know if I have the money to spend on an 87 and newer car, if I choose the 928 route. Are the US spec early cars worth it? I'm probably limited to 10k. I found a 5-speed black on black '84 with about 70k miles for $9,000 close to home. I'd certainly haggle but is that a good start for a clean car-assuming it's clean. I am a good wrench and decent body guy. I'm artistic, so things like design and painting are easy to me. I can MIG weld and have a decent collection of tools for a youngster . Electrical is my weak point and while I have access to my dad's enormous shop (a huge closed down antique Ford dealership), he's an hour away; my shop consists of a 25x11 one-car garage.

I'm okay with a little work but whatever I get has to have no major rust issues, strong mechanically on the bottom end, and no or little mods to the electrical system.

If I can pick up a car for 7-9K, I can budget another 4k for repairs and mods. I'd rather go that route than spend the 11-13k on a more sorted car, because I'll want to implement my own design modifications.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Network Native

More sorted car doesn't mean the same thing with a 928 as most of us accustomed to domestic cars think. Outside of the handful of pampered low mileage garage queens all 928's are something of a restoration project, just not in the sense of needing paint. Factory paint can be in great shape, and its crazy expensive to get a car repainted with similar quality, so a car that needs paint is not a good choice for restoring. Exception being spot issues, if area repair meets your quality standards.

Some of the non clear coat paints will buff out from even nasty looking oxidation, but the general rule don't buy a car without paint that suits you with only minor work.

Regards model year, you have to buy the one that you can't resist. If you don't love the body style, early or late model, love the color, love the interior, love the way it drives, the first time the car tests your affection it will be on ebay or CL.

Yes the newer models are frequently more expensive, especially in nice condition, but if you want a wide rear car with a wing and a 32v engine, owning a nice early car won't scratch that itch. That may mean restructuring budget or details on the car, like buying a late model with a bad motor, then spending labor to sort the motor.

My preference is for the early body, pre 87 models, with the added quirk I really hate the sunroof since I am tall. I have a US 83 non sunroof, and a Euro 85 with a sunroof, both 5 spds.

Sounds crazy, but you need to think about all the combinations and decide what you REALLY like, then be flexible and go with the first "nice" car that suits you.

First step, put your rough location into profile or sig and go to some of the local get togethers, this is the start of the season. Meet some people, look at some cars.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Just my 2c.

I spend a lot of time in other peoples cars and have quality seat time in all three. I am a pretty big fan of the 968. The balance between hp/wt is pretty good and there is a lot of torque on tap for 3.0L. The 928 is a very special car also but tends to have a lot of complicated systems that need attending. The 968 is really pretty simple and straightforward and a joy to drive. Take one for a back road test drive and see if it speaks to you. It would be my choice for fun factor & reliability reasons.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
928 , 944 , 951 , 968 , buy