Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dgogo a go go!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 9
84 5 Speed Transaxle with LSD for Sale

I have an 84 5 Speed with LSD for Sale.

Works fine, purchased as part of a Large set of parts

Complete rear available as well.

Asking $1250.

949-521-1755

also, 88 5 Speed with LSD available. $Make me an offer...
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Dgogo a go go!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogoman View Post
I have an 84 5 Speed with LSD for Sale.

Works fine, purchased as part of a Large set of parts

Complete rear available as well.

Asking $1250.

949-521-1755

also, 88 5 Speed with LSD available. $Make me an offer...

Old 03-16-2015, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Dgogo a go go!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogoman View Post



THis is the 84 Serial Number
Old 03-16-2015, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
928: Serial Enabler
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Elkhart, Indiana
Posts: 2,929
Those numbers are for the case covers only. They don't define the transmissions.

The serial number under the transmission, facing the road, is what defines the transmission and whether or not originally equipped with limited slip.

Never assume the limited slip is still inside. Remove back covers and show photos of them.

Good luck with your sale of them to needy homes, if in good shape they can transcend a worn car.
__________________
84,85,86 928 cars

Last edited by Landseer; 03-16-2015 at 09:27 PM..
Old 03-16-2015, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Network Native
 
Danglerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,166
Adding to above, trans codes are stamped into the bottom, not raised from casting.

Works fine? How was it tested?

This wouldn't be the batch of parts from the shop down in Oceanside would it?
Old 03-17-2015, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 389
Still for sale? Pm me.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phila
Posts: 164
These gearboxes are on ebay. I contacted him about the 88 gearbox, wanting to know the g28 number and he came back with a number that made it an 84 gearbox if I remember correctly. I wasn't interested and he hasn't corrected the ad. Didn't inquire about the older gearbox.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Dgogo a go go!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landseer View Post
Those numbers are for the case covers only. They don't define the transmissions.

The serial number under the transmission, facing the road, is what defines the transmission and whether or not originally equipped with limited slip.

Never assume the limited slip is still inside. Remove back covers and show photos of them.

Good luck with your sale of them to needy homes, if in good shape they can transcend a worn car.

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in responding. Work gets in the way of this hobby!

I have since learned about the various designations. I checked, the 88 is G28/12, which is LSD.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Dgogo a go go!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Adding to above, trans codes are stamped into the bottom, not raised from casting.

Works fine? How was it tested?

This wouldn't be the batch of parts from the shop down in Oceanside would it?
These are NOT parts from Oceanside...(Brewers?) Nope.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Dgogo a go go!
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fb111 View Post
These gearboxes are on ebay. I contacted him about the 88 gearbox, wanting to know the g28 number and he came back with a number that made it an 84 gearbox if I remember correctly. I wasn't interested and he hasn't corrected the ad. Didn't inquire about the older gearbox.
Yes, we did exchange info. I learned more since then. The boxes are stamped g28/12, which makes it a late model Euro LSD. I am not sure about whether or not the Gears are Borg Warner or not. It is marked as rebuilt.

If they don't sell as is, I am going to have them serviced and rebuilt...

I live in South Orange County CA, where there are lots of shops and resources to work with. I will make sure that they are good to go then. Of course the price will go up....
Thanks,
dgogoman
Old 03-25-2015, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Network Native
 
Danglerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 10,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgogoman View Post
Yes, we did exchange info. I learned more since then. The boxes are stamped g28/12, which makes it a late model Euro LSD. I am not sure about whether or not the Gears are Borg Warner or not. It is marked as rebuilt.

If they don't sell as is, I am going to have them serviced and rebuilt...

I live in South Orange County CA, where there are lots of shops and resources to work with. I will make sure that they are good to go then. Of course the price will go up....
Thanks,
dgogoman
Greg Brown Precision Motorwerks is the local guy rebuilding 928 transmissions correctly, but not inexpensively.

The G28/12 is the model, not whether it has LSD, but G28/12 is a 88 S4 Euro, which is very unlikely. Pict to clarify would help.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Phila
Posts: 164
It wasn't g28/12 It was g28/08 I think followed by 12 which isn't the determining number. Unfortunately I deleted my correspondence once I saw the determining two numbers made it a pre borg warner gearbox..
Old 03-26-2015, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
 
Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 

Tags
5 speed , transaxle , transmission


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:54 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2017 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.