Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Network Native

Why do you need two Porsches?

Spousal approval on the 928 collection was not at a high point today, and went somewhat down hill. We have condo HOA parking issues, a garage full of stuff mostly 928 parts and my 84 Euro parts car remains, and seven years in none of the 928's are in daily driver condition, just driveable projects. Big item, wife's leg has started to bother her and she won't drive a stick anymore, nor does she want to take any trips in a car she can't drive.

84 Euro is going, has been since I bought it 7 years ago, just as soon as I get a few more parts off it, and not much seriously is left, the chassis will go to scrap.

83 US 5 spd is pretty nice, some paint issues that don't bother me, some small dash cracks that do bother me, and a dozen or so annoying bits I should have sorted long ago. My upholstery guy messed up bottom seat cushion stuffing in some more foam when I took it to him to check the supports since it seemed low. I need to pull the seat and take it back to him and have it unfixed and then fixed. I need to put in one of my good transmissions, and some more minor stuff.

85 Euro 5 spd is rough, black paint with some poor respray peeling, and a full leather interior that did not enjoy life in the high desert. OTOH it has the motor out of my 84 Euro that had 82k miles on it, and it shifts slow but runs like stink including passing Calif smog. My plan for it was to gut and make a street legal, drive it to the track, DE car.

Nothing happening soon, except getting rid of the 84 parts car remains, but I can read the writing on the wall and it says ONE 928 only. Fair chance I will keep the parts off the 85 rather than sell it, but not close to that point yet. Jan is when insurance and registration is due, so that may push a decision.

Two lessons;

Fixing a parts car isn't smart.
Dividing resources between two projects isn't smart.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Lessons: Wrong. Lesson learned should be HOAs and condos suck. Some good redneck country living solves all the issues and lowers the taxes so man has more resources for his projects and room to add some more. It also provides for an environment where driving is once again fun and not an exercise in negotiating a parking lot.

Diverdan
Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

You need two 928s....one to drive at all times and the other to work on when you're not able to drive it. And the two swap back and forth constantly.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Trying to have a project garage is a condo is a fail from the get-go.
7 years to part out a car is more like hoarder OCD. Just saying.

Good luck with the clean out
and consider renting a remote garage for your cars.

Garages in HOA condos are for parking your daily driver,
not doing rotisserie restorations.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: