Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Effect On Other Drivers

An observation: When driving my black, pristine '84 928 on country roads, I find there's a least one encounter per drive where someone is riding very close to my rear bumper sometimes dangerously so. It's usually by very commonplace cars. I'm doing at least the speed limit going with the traffic flow, driving in a responsible manner, minding my own business, nothing erratic. This rarely occurs when driving my '85 VW Golf, my daily driver. I'd like to find out the psychology behind the other driver's thinking and if other Porsche owners experienced this. Is it envy, a race challenge, what?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have felt the same way, but attributed some of the sensation to the fact that a 928 has no ass end. Almost no rear overhang.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem when I had my previous Porsche... they eventually as i was turning right smacked into my rear end and drove off

I reversed and chanced them. to cut a very long dreadful experience short I ended up on there car bonnet..whilst they where trying to get away then because it was a lady the police took her word over mine and locked MEEEE in their police van

jealous ppl
Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have noticed this sort of thing from time to time. I think some are curious, others see "Porsche" on the rear which causes all sorts of reactions good and bad.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 06-08-2015, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

I think drivers of "normal" cars like to test their brakes versus the 928 brakes. It doesn't usually work out well for the other drivers. My favorite thing is to speed up and then hit the cloverleaf without touching the brakes. That normally brings them back to earth as they fight to maintain control of their "normal" cars.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson) and Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 06-08-2015, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Several years ago I had a lady in an SUV camp out about 3 feet off my back bumper while on a quite curvy local /rural road I tapped the brakes a couple of times just to turn on the brake lights and suggest she was too close. That didn't seem to get her attention or interrupt her texting....so, I hit the next sharp turn (marked 15 mph) at maybe 60 mph. I went around the corner. She didn't, a cloud of dust, SUV in the rough. I returned on that road an hour or so later and there was dirt all over the road and a huge puddle of red transmission fluid, she evidently bottomed it out and took off the transmission pan....I felt bad for maybe 10 seconds...
1956 Intermeccanica 356 Speedster (sold),1957 Intermeccanica 356 Speedster (sold),,1985.5 Porsche 944 (sold),1955 Thunder Ranch 550 Spyder (sold), 1955 Outlaw 356 Speedster (currently in build out), 1984 Porsche 928S (White), 1984 Porsche 928S (Red)

Last edited by tmpusfugit; 06-08-2015 at 11:55 AM..
Old 06-08-2015, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
While I've grown away from baiting other drivers, that SUV driver needed a wake up call. While she experienced some financial drain, it was cheaper than what she was courting. Better she hit the dirt than your "bubble butt." Good show!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
@ 3 digits

Porsches will always bring all sorts of emotions. Most of the time people follow me and as soon as they have the opportunity they just do the thumbs up thingy with a big smile, many times they take photos but from time to time there is the angry filled with envy type that is just miserable because life circumstances seem unfair and from his point of view everybody else is guilty and wants to ride extremely close to the rear end almost daring you to stop to see what happens, whenever I encounter those I just downshift and hit the gas and within seconds they become a tiny little spot in the rear view mirror. Others want to find out how fast you can go and try to race you, most of the time the 'main plan' is to see and avoid.

Live long and prosper or just hit the warp drive switch like there is no tomorrow.........
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayporsche View Post
Porsches will always bring all sorts of emotions. Most of the time people follow me and as soon as they have the opportunity they just do the thumbs up thingy with a big smile, many times they take photos but from time to time there is the angry filled with envy type that is just miserable because life circumstances seem unfair and from his point of view everybody else is guilty and wants to ride extremely close to the rear end almost daring you to stop to see what happens, whenever I encounter those I just downshift and hit the gas and within seconds they become a tiny little spot in the rear view mirror. Others want to find out how fast you can go and try to race you, most of the time the 'main plan' is to see and avoid.

Live long and prosper or just hit the warp drive switch like there is no tomorrow.........
I have had the same experiences. Most people are cool but many get real close. I wonder if they are trying to see what it is or just want to be jerks. One idiot passed me up, it was a nice day, he put on his wiper washers so it would spray over my car. Others have tried to race, one kid on a motorcycle got right on my butt, then pulled along side racing his motor, then pulled ahead a did a wheelie. I just ignored him.
Previously owned: 67 Vette, 427 L88 Stingray, 74 De Tomaso Pantera L. Latest addition: 2000 BMW Z3 Roadster
Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
All it amounts to is...people are idiots...but it just bothers me more when I'm driving the 928.

I do notice it more while going for nice drives in the country, though, where the car is extremely rare. See a lot of Dodge Ram grills in my rear view mirror often. In the big city, not so much. But truthfully…on any given day, in any one of my vehicles, people will ride my a** for unknown reasons. Well, maybe besides the fact that I'm driving the speed limit.

Brian.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deputy View Post
All it amounts to is...people are idiots...but it just bothers me more when I'm driving the 928.

I do notice it more while going for nice drives in the country, though, where the car is extremely rare. See a lot of Dodge Ram grills in my rear view mirror often. In the big city, not so much. But truthfully…on any given day, in any one of my vehicles, people will ride my a** for unknown reasons. Well, maybe besides the fact that I'm driving the speed limit.

Brian.
I have noticed more of these Dodge Rams as well. Never a Corvette or other types in the sports car category. Sometimes a 60's, 70's hot rod of sorts. People today seem much more aggressive, many have no drivers licenses or insurance especially in areas of high illegal concentration.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: