Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirtekHVAC View Post
Is L-jet, and LH the same thing?
L-jet still uses green wire. LH uses Crank position sensor.
L-jet uses barn door AFM. LH uses platinum wire MAF.
L-jet used up to 84 US. LH used from 84 Euro - 1995
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I guess my 82 parts are Ljet then., my bad.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Got about an hour in the shop last night and made a repair to the S line....not my best work, a little sloppy, but looks ok. Swedged a piece of like fuel line, inserted the 2 halves, and silver blazed with 52% eutectic rod. Great stuff, but about 10$ a stick wholesale cost. It'll do, and should hold with no issues. Thought about painting it, but then I would have to have pulled the others and painted them...hey, I might still do that.... . Paint the damper as well....why not?

1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 07-09-2015, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Started the vacuum lines..

1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Received my vacuum advance limiter from eBay, which was missing from the car. The lines off the intake were plugged by the PO, with a bolt in one, and a broken spark plug in the other...WTF?

1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Primered it....

1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Kool

Garage
Painted and clear coated it....

1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
AND....installed it....it was a ***** to get in there...but I got it.

1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Hey, while I was in there, I found a wire loom going under the back of the throttle body assembly, into the valley...pulled it out, and it had a plug connector on it....turns out it connects to the IAC....perhaps this is why it idled so poorly.....lol...I have found soooo many things that would cause poor idle...once this thing is back together, it might run like a top!

I have ordered the special vent hose that goes from the oil separator / fill to intake...I am going to make one temporary tomorrow while I wait for it to come in...if I don't have too much real job work to do, I will complete the fuel lines and vacuum, and try to start her back up.....we shall see...stay tuned!
1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Can anyone show me a pic of where the vacuum (I am assuming) lines go that connect to this little jewel? It's the little solenoid thing that hangs from the strut bar....thanks in advance!

1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-17-2015, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Ron,
One hose goes to the charcoal cannister and the other connects (I believe) to your golf tee hose laying there.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Lol....sorry, that's a pic from the first day or so....the golf tee hose is long gone. I got it all sorted....1 end goes to a Y adapter (which I found broken in the box of junk that was in the trunk, the Y goes from the bottom of the throttle body housing, to this device, and to a plastic vacuum thing that goes to the charcoal canister. The other end goes to the hose on the front of the spider body. All I need now is the hose that goes from the top of the oil fill/separator, to the throttle body (it is a custom hose, fat on one end, curved, and then goes small.) I was going to make one, with copper and rubber, but I caved and ordered the right thing. Should be here Monday. I also ran about 10" short of blue vacuum line, which I have also ordered, and vacuum will be complete.

I cut out a rusted through hardline underneath, and repaired, also replaced the filter for the smog pump, and replaced he fuel line rubbers to hard line, with new gates barricade...it'll do until I can afford the real thing. Coming right along.
1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
The PO said he tore it all apart trying to fix the poor idle/ "miss", but somehow, with all the things I found disconnected and by passed, he may have missed the problem early on, and made it worse.

So far, I found these items that I think may be the culprit to the massive "miss" at idle...

1- most vacuum hoses disconnected, plugged, and open vacuum ports on intake
2- wires disconnected from idle microswitch on throttle body, switch bent and jammed
3- all clips missing from fuel injectors, I can sneeze and blow them right off
4- fuel damper removed and lines teed together, adjustable FPR rigged into return line
5- wire plug disconnected from IAC valve and stuck under intake lying in the valley
6- ac doohickey thing disconnected, hoses gone, plugged
7- vacuum advance limiter missing, hoses plugged
8- carbon canister hoses broken off in fender well
9- busted hard line under car going to carbon canister

All fixed except the injector clips, and the carbon canister fitting in fender...hopefully tomorrow....
1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-18-2015, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Ron,
Your last post reminds me that I went to an auto parts store for some red threadlocker. While there, a guy is out front working on his car in the parking lot. It's probably running on 2 of 4 cylinders. The sum of his tools: a 3 lb hammer.

It made me smile as I drove away.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I bet! Lol...have hammrr, will fix!

The PO seemed to have a good idea of what he was trying to do, but wow, way wrong on method. I wonder how much wss done by the previous PO....

After I get this all put back together, I need to install a new front ball cup.
1982 5sp resto project
Old 07-19-2015, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Been out of sync for a few months...working 80 hrs a week is tough. Had a little break, and spent a day tracing everything I could possibly trace...had that same looping as when I bought it, vroom, vroom, vroom,vroom, for about a minute....then smooth out and idle perfectly. Give it some gas, it shudders, and shuts off. Starts right back up, idles fine. Give it half pedal and hold, and it loops again, but at high rpm, let off the pedal, and perfect idle.

I have gone through and repaired the entire vacuum system, the entire fuel system, and all ne'er hood electrics....

In my frustration, I thought, maybe...the PO wired the plugs wrong, so I traced all those out...dang it, all good....

So I am staring at the distributor cap, and it hits me...THE DISTRIBUTOR!

I loosened the adjustment bolt and went clockwise...spit and sputter...went counter clockwise, and omg...idled stronger....adjusted idle screw and distributor, until I am running at app 800 RPM. Takes throttle, runs great, with exception of a small backfire at higher Rpms.
The distributor is almost at full adjustment. I have determined that either the timing was set wrong by one of the PO's and that is why it was parked, or it has jumped time, and that's why it sat.
Next up...going to do the TB and WP.

Stay tuned
1982 5sp resto project
Old 10-04-2015, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Small victories....got the front ball cup installed....gave up after 8 hours last weekend. Took it only 30 mins to pop into place today. Reinstalled the exhaust heat shield. Now to check the timing and the plugs. Probably change the oil too. I do believe it has jumped time tho....

We will see....
1982 5sp resto project
Old 10-25-2015, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
European Shark

Garage
How did you get the front ball cup in place without removing the torque tube? I tried this and failed a while ago...
Old 10-26-2015, 01:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I've done it twice now, once on my 78, and now on the 82. First, remove the heat shield. You may have to use snips to cut a small slit in the end to get around the O2 sensor. Then use a very long screwdriver or flat end solid rod to push the replacement insert into the cup. It's a little tricky. On both cars I had to use my bench grinder to cone out the top of the insert to get it started in the ball cup. It's ok if it does not go in all the way. Once I got it to stay in the cup, I used the long screwdrivers to get the insert/cup on top of the ball in the end of the toque tube. I then fed a ratchet stap over the ball cup ( on the 82 the clearance was too tight, so I put the strap over the threaded adjustment bolt attached to the cup). Then I tightened the strap, gently, and would climb up on top and wiggle the shifter, while it was under tension. After a few tightening and wigglings, it popped into place.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
European Shark

Garage
Ah, shizht I've bought the entire cup with threaded part and all.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: