Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Kool

Garage
Now that is hard to replace in-situ....the ball cup is the same part as the clutch fork cup insert, it's cheap....
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
European Shark

Garage
Son of a... Now why didn't anyone tell me that There is plenty of other things I'd rather spend $80-90 bucks on in my 928...
Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Hey Ron,
On that front ball cup replacement, make sure to use a large tie-wrap around the ball cup and the torque and tighten it down. It will prevent the ball cup from popping off. I did not believe it would happen. I heard all the stories about it happening and didn't believe it would ever happen . I was selling an '80 Euro 5 speed that I had on which I had replaced the front ball cup. The buyer showed up to drive it. He backed it out of the driveway and I'll be darned it the damn thing didn't pop off at that instant. I was embarrassed, but he bought the car anyway.

Just saying.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Good tip, i had heard that, but forgot about it. I have a huge bag of those straps. They are used for ductwork. Called panduit straps. Very strong.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
have been at work non stop for months it seems.....finally got to play with the 82 a little bit. Got her running. I am positive she has jumped time, or has been timed incorrectly. The best I can get out of her is about 28 deg btdc...the book calls for 23 deg btdc...I definitely need to do TB and WP....but still had some fun today!

https://youtu.be/Nn-Y_zz5JCI
1982 5sp resto project
Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Ron,
Check your engine number(M21, M28 etc) The Euros time differently than the US version. Then check the number on your Harmonic balancer (23, 28, etc). Unless it's been changed, it should match what the ignition timing is set to at 3000 RPM (with all vacuum lines to the distributor removed and plugged)

But that being said, it may be that the valve timing is set wrong from the last timing belt job.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
It is a us version, I am at full adjustment on the distributor, and almost shut on the idle screw and am at 1000 rpm idle, can't get any lower without shutting the idle all the way., at 3000, I am at app 28btdc. There are "paint" marks on the distributor, so I bet it's been out. Might have been put in wrong. A tooth or two off. I have a ton of records on the car, but no tb or wp invoices.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Remove one bolt and you can fix that. Just move it to TDC first so you have an idea where you need to move it.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Ok, playing a bit, set engine to tdc on #1, removed the distributor cap, and saw that the rotor was pointing dead on #1....unbolted the distributor, pulled it out, and rotated it 1 gear/ tooth before #1. Reinserted, snugged it down dead center of adjustment. Put everything back together, (both vacuum lines disconnected from distributor and plugged). Cranked her and she started up, would idle about 200 rpm, and cut off. Opened up the idle screw, and she fired right up, app 2000 rpm. Got assistance from my youngest, and she held it at 3000 for me, while I set it dead on 23deg using the timing light. Once she let go of the throttle, I adjusted the idle screw down until she was app 800 rpm. Cut her off, removed the timing light, hooked the vacuum advance lines back up, and cranked her, she fired and cut right off. I disconnected and plugged the vacuum advance lines, and she started right up, running fine with a slight miss.

What gives? Why are the vacuum advance lines hooked up causing this grief? Any ideas?
1982 5sp resto project
Old 12-02-2015, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Network Native

Wrong ports on the throttle body, what else is possible?

Wild ass guess on something to try.
Use a mityvac type thing on the distributor and see how it works. Same for lines from throttle body, measure pressures. Once you know what you have, find a correct vacuum line routing.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Wrong ports on the throttle body, what else is possible?

Wild ass guess on something to try.
Use a mityvac type thing on the distributor and see how it works. Same for lines from throttle body, measure pressures. Once you know what you have, find a correct vacuum line routing.
+1 Kind of along the same lines of what I was thinking. If it's not distributor problem, it's probably a distributor vacuum problem.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I did redo all the vacuum lines, using the diagram under the hood, but it is possible I connected in the wrong spot? The PO had all the lines disconnected and / or plugged.

2 vacuum hoses are connected to the vacuum advance diaphragm, one on the top, and one on the underside. Both of them have VERY strong suction at idle...
1982 5sp resto project
Old 12-03-2015, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Ron,

I found this:
Two vacuum lines on the Distributor...... And this:

In later years, they did away with the retard vacuum line, but I can't remember what year that happened.

I haven't owned any 928s older than 1984 in several years, so I can't just go look. I did find this from an '84, which shows only one vacuum line to the distributor, but YMMV.(obviously does) This diagram does show that the advance line from the distributor originates on the right side of the throttle body aft(?) of the butterfly(?)

Last edited by stepson; 12-04-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Old 12-03-2015, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
I have that, and a similar from under my hood.....I'm going to recheck them all this weekend. Thanks for all your help thus far!
1982 5sp resto project
Old 12-04-2015, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
Network Native

This from memory, but I recall there were maybe 3 types of dist that Porsche used, a combination of vacuum retard and vacuum advance. You may not have correct for model parts, this is what I would be checking.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Great recommendation. I do believe that it may have been replaced before. This might be a dumb question, but how do I know if it is the right one or not (pet)?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Well, got some time in the shop yesterday, re-routed the vacuum lines again, pretty sure they are in the right spot this time. Still won't run with vacuum advance hooked up. Idles perfect and revs just fine with it plugged. Took her out for a drive, and still dies when I give her a bunch of pedal.

I was able to install the short shift kit I got from Ed. It's so easy. I now have this kit on both of the 928s.

1982 5sp resto project
Old 03-13-2016, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
Had some success today. Got my distributor reassembled with the new to me vacuum advance. Finally figured out the vacuum routing, reinstalled the distributor, cranked her up, and she fired right up....ran ok, but real high RPM, and missing badly. Got a little better when she warmed up. Decided to re-time her, and replace the spark plugs. Once I get the plugs changed, I'll try to fire her up again and see what I get!

Also working on regluing the carpet and vinyl back onto the passenger door panel, replacing the speaker, Then onto the drivers side....
1982 5sp resto project
Old 04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Kool

Garage
Has it been a year since my last post? Wow! Well, stalled out due to multiple other issues and life disasters....time to start back up on it....will be looking for a flywheel lock tool soon. Time to get this white demon back on the road!
1982 5sp resto project
Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Ron,

I have a flywheel lock tool, used on my 84, should be the same I think. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll send it your direction, just please return when done. It's already been to NY and Colorado...which is great...at least one of us is getting a chance to see the country.

Brian.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: