Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Rufrob - It is never a good sign to open up the water pump cavity to find it's impeller broken into pieces. A serious high temp cycle can cause all sorts of problems for an aluminum 928 engine. The problem now is to assess the usable status of everything. Especially whether the unsleeved, silicon alloy engine block can be saved. I've read about a special process to over bore and re-etch the Alusil cylinders to bring the silicon crystals back out as a wear surface again. There are much more experienced engine builders here that can probably make some recommendations to help you decide on your options at this point.

Good Luck, Michael
JK, I know you meant Alusil, so I fixed for you for posterity.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #181 (permalink)

Garage
Alusil -

Hey Stepson - Thanks for the correction. There is nothing worse than recommending the wrong repair procedure- ha Do you think the rings will be able to seal up at the top of the corroded cylinders in Rufrob's block ?

Thanks again - Michael
Old 09-18-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)

Garage
i redid a 944 years ago - someone on that forum suggested a scotch brite pad, some valve grinding compound and a cylinder hone to brighten up the cylinders - their blocks are the same as these (minus 4 cylinders) - i tried it and re-ringed the engine - compression was fine and car ran very strong - until my sister totaled it - anybody on here tried that on a 928 (i mean buffing up the cylinders... not totaling it)
Old 09-18-2018, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Stepson - Thanks for the correction. There is nothing worse than recommending the wrong repair procedure- ha Do you think the rings will be able to seal up at the top of the corroded cylinders in Rufrob's block ?

Thanks again - Michael
JK,

Sometimes I will be thinking one thing and then something else pops in my head just as I am posting something and then I find that I posted the thing that popped in my head briefly and not what I was thinking the whole time. I knew what you were thinking, but I didn't want someone else down the road to get the wrong idea.

Re Rufrob's cylinders: I can't discern how deep those pits at the top really are, but it certainly doesn't appear that the rings could seal at the top of the stroke.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #184 (permalink)

Garage
There wasnít much carbon at the top of the cylinders. Rub with a shop rag removed it. The intake valves were pretty easy to clean but the exhaust valves had a caked on white stuff. Drill and sand paper got most of it off. Those valve keepers were a pita. Took 3 hours.
Right bank done. Tomorrow I tackle the left.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2018, 01:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #185 (permalink)

Garage
GFís away so what else should a single guy do in Tokyo on the Saturday night of a 3 day weekend?
Valve seals baby. 16 in 4 hours. My legs are cramped.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)

Garage
Great Progress -

Hey Rufrob - You are making great progress - How did the upper rim of your cylinders come out after the cleanup ? If lucky, any corrosion along the top cylinder edge will be above the wear point of the piston compression rings. You should really have an experienced machinist who is familiar with the 928 take a close look at any questionable surface areas. His opinion on how the rings are going to seal can save you a lot of grief.

Also just a word of caution, don't scrimp on a good valve job. With all the time and expense involved in the assembly of your motor, there is not much more discouraging than building a smoker.

Please keep us posted -

Good Luck, Michael
Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #187 (permalink)
1974 Porsche 914

Garage
Thumbs up Save the Porsche!

Good job!
Old 09-24-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #188 (permalink)

Garage
I know how important valve jobs are but I simply canít afford it know. Iíll spend all sorts of money on the 930 but for now Iíll be happy to get the 928 running smoothly. With 80,000km on the odometer I canít see it needing more that a clean up.they seeded flush into the head so unfortunately thatís all they are going to get for now.
Typhoon 24 cancelled my summer vacation to Okinawa and slowed any work I could do on the car. Man, you guys with your own garage are so fortunate. During a break in the rain I managed to change the front crank seal and strip the top of the original motor. Surprised how dirty it got in the couple of months I put it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2018, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #189 (permalink)

Garage

Old 09-30-2018, 12:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #190 (permalink)

Garage
I see some of your engine work is done indoors. I hope your g/f isnít like my ďhurricane in all kinds of weatherĒ wife is. Lol.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #191 (permalink)

Garage
Kerosene -

Hey Rufrob - If you don't plan on having a machinist perform a valve job, you might at least hand lap in the valves, assemble the heads, flip them over and then fill each cylinder cavity with kerosene. Inspect the intake/exhaust ports for any sign of seepage.

In a pinch - This should give you an idea if you'll be "initially" running on all cylinders.

Good Luck, Michael
Old 09-30-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #192 (permalink)

Garage
While cleaning I did fill the ports. No leakage.

Old 09-30-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #193 (permalink)

Garage
The engine hoist didnít materialize, so- thank God for good weather and a 3íday weekend.
I donít remember taking out 944 engine was so difficult.
Is standing an engine on it flywheel so bad?

No end play motor ready to go in

Old 10-06-2018, 01:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #194 (permalink)

Garage
Sometimes I amaze myself

Old 10-08-2018, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #195 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufrob View Post
I know how important valve jobs are but I simply can’t afford it know. I’ll spend all sorts of money on the 930 but for now I’ll be happy to get the 928 running

Rufrob, you might be pleasantly surprised at how little an independent machine shop will charge to do a valve job for you. Maybe I'm just lucky to live where I do, but my local machinist only charges me $150US per head plus parts. He's an honest guy, so he doesn't charge me to replace parts that I don't need. When he did my Trooper, for example, he said everything was within spec, and only charged me for his shop time..3 years, and 50k miles later, it's still running like a watch.

Last edited by Mal81; 10-08-2018 at 10:36 PM..
Old 10-08-2018, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #196 (permalink)

Garage
"The engine hoist didnít materialize, so- thank God for good weather and a 3íday weekend."

so rufrob - no hoist? - how big are you?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #197 (permalink)

Garage
Iím not as young as I used to be. Iím so sore.
Especially after wrestling the engine into position and torquing the LCA. Ill be 50 soon and Iíve always been slight in build but high in motivation.

Old 10-10-2018, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #198 (permalink)

Garage
well good on you - motivation moves mountains - i'm 62 now so i know from whence you speak - soreness is a way of life now - great job
Old 10-11-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #199 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufrob View Post
Rufrob,

Do your neighbors talk bad about you due to the overgrown condition of your bonzai tree shown in the picture?

J/K

Seriously, Good work getting the engine out and the new one in?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #200 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: