Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
In many ways this body is in better nick than the first car. Pity it has no papers. An interior swap is easier than a drivetrain swap. The tt would probably have to come out anyway. The plan is: exhaust then complete rear end, tranny and tt. Rebuild the tt and tc bearings.
Next rear main seal on the engine. Transmission output seal. Then button it up. Iíll be sure to check the fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2018, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Progress!
78 928 5 spd "Blumaxx" (Minerva Blue; featured in issue #100 Hemmings Sports & Exotics)
05 997 (Meteor Metallic Gray over terra cotta)
06 Mustang GT (Legend Lime)
Old 02-04-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
so what are the extra two gauges in the console for? - the left one looks like it could be coolant temp - but isn't there already one of those in the main panel - really have no idea what the one on the right does with it's + and - sides
Old 02-04-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
As I dismantle this car Iíll find out too. Iím guessing transmission/engine oil temp.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
engine has no oil leaks, painted intake and valve covers.
Removed the radiator, ac condenser, exhaust, gas tank.

Next week rear suspension and transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
looks like a GT exhaust system small GT resonators and the twin tip muffler
Old 02-08-2018, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
So thatís what it is. I thought it was a 91 muffler only. This is my first 928 restore so a bit of a learning curve.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Thats a desirable exhaust system IOW it should not be scrapped or damaged,
Same goes for the cats
Old 02-08-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
You are right. They are going on the project car. I was so exhaust yesterday I gave up trying to remove the top bell housing bolts. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Use two combination wrenches. Put the correct closed end size on the bolt. Hook the second wrench onto the end of the first wrench such that you can use it as an extension of the first wrench. Use the combination of the two wrenches to break the bolts loose.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Hi. That pita bell housing bolt began to strip so I tried dropping the rear end removed the bolts between the tt and bell housing. The tt is disconnected but it wonít roll back enough to remove. Removing the rear end was quite easy. I left the wheels on so it could roll. I ran out of time so Iíll try again tomorrow.
Iíll have to drop the engine anyway since i need the exhaust manifolds.
I also managed to remove the ac compressor, air pump, alternator, ps pump. Lots of cleaning with solvents.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Petie3rd

A common fix,..........cut the tail brace of the upper bell housing with a sawsall, the TT will drop down
Old 02-13-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Not an option for me. No power source near my parking spot. Iíll do it the hard way.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Got a lot done today. I dropped the engine to get out the bell housing. PITA. Removed the tt and tc. Both sound good, I know that would be false economy. Ordered the bearings and tranny pump seal. Tomorrow prep the the receiving car rear end and swap over the exhaust manifolds.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
90 roller

Too busy today to take pics. Damn that transmission is heavy. Dragging it on loose ground didnít help either. I had to deploy all the wisdom of the ancients cus there was no app for this.
I got the rear ends swapped. The wiring harness on the 87-donor is completely deteriorated. So I need to swap the good harness from the 89. Plus the 89 rdk sensor. What to do with that? Of course all the cv boots are shot, so the left axle nut same off no issue but the left has broken 4 1/2Ē drives. Fun and games people. Back to work for 4 day before I can touch it again.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-15-2018, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Out!!!

Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Started working on the tc bearing. Got the top one off easy but ran out of time getting the bottom one off. My mechanic friend was tired and surly last night. He was in no mood to help me. His puller fingers arenít long enough. Iíll do some research today. Here are some pics of the swapped rear ends. Note the bent right lower arm in the first pic.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage

Old 02-19-2018, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: