Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Network Native

I bought a set of wrenches that are ideal for the bellhousing bolts, double box end flex head ratcheting extended sockets. Its like a regular flex head ratcheting wrench, but the sockets are extended from the face of the wrench about half an inch, they are miracle workers.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
I bought a set of wrenches that are ideal for the bellhousing bolts, double box end flex head ratcheting extended sockets. Its like a regular flex head ratcheting wrench, but the sockets are extended from the face of the wrench about half an inch, they are miracle workers.
Got a link?
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Network Native

Same design showed up in half a dozen brands, mine are I think EZ Red, but this looks the same. https://www.cpooutlets.com/platinum-tools-99650-5-piece-10-metric-xl-ratcheting-wrench-set/pltn99650,default,pd.html

I don't recall if mine are spline or not, but think they are.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Thanks for posting that link.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 03:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Just discovered something strange. If I read it correctly the engine in the first car is a 91 engine.
The car is an 89.
Also all the air pump piping is gone. I took all that off my 930, should I bother to swap all that over from the 87 engine? Can I install the manifolds and air pump pipes with the engine in the car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

M28/42 would cover 87-88 ROW A/T, 87-88 US A/T, and all 89-91 A/T.

As far as I can see, the only reason they split the 87-88 ROW AT from the 87-88 US was a weight difference. 89-91 weighed the same no matter the destination apparently.

Last edited by stepson; 02-22-2018 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: correction
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks I read somewhere that the engine number indicates its a 91. Iíll look for that wed source again. If what you say is true then I could uses the either engines. According to Japanese rules the engine must be of the same series or newer.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Sourced information from 928gt.com:

https://www.928gt.com/t-928engine.aspx
Old 02-22-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. Now to decide to swap over the air pump pipes or just block them off.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

If you don't have to use the air pump and don't have to have it installed for emissions, why not just remove the air pump and all the pipes and hoses?

If you sell the car to someone just send the bits along with the car. The next owner might need to install them for emissions and will therefore have the ability to do so.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Thatís a good point. I just arrived at that conclusion myself this morning.
I got all but the pipe at the back of the motor off. Iíll use the existing pipes to cap the system. I still have 27 days paid holidays, so Iíll see how many I can use this month. Thankfully the 928Tt looks easier than the 944.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Garage

Here is a photo of the vent bolt for the air pump and pipe. I could not find a cap for that pipe. Can I use that 12mm ss bolt to plug the air injection ports on the head?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

Garage
I found this in some of the ports
So I cut the bolts I bought, applied the washer and installed them. Perfect.
The engine has not exhaust manifold sealing rings. Wow they are expensive and unlike regular gaskets are not reusable.
Last night I removed the front spoiler and installed the ac condenser and radiator to get a sense of accomplishment.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
Feels like I reached the turning point. Waiting for the exhaust manifold o rings. I decided to tackle the torque tube. It was much easier than the 944.
I pulled the shaft out by hand. The damper fell out and after lubing the inside and using a block of wood, shop rags and I long pole I got the bearing out. Only 2.
I got a bit too adventurous trying to replace the bearings at home, at night, on hay fever medicine and the inevitable happened,

To be fair I strained my wrist removing the engine but the reduced mobility contributed to the hammer blow to the finger and damage to the new bearing. I ordered 3 so I use the bench vice...

Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)

Garage
Got a bit too ambitions and tore the bearing bushings. So during the wait the rest of the project anon.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Got a lot done a few days ago. Exhaust manifolds with new orings, air injection port sealed, front suspension cleaned and bolts installed, torquing comes later, ac compressor, ps pump and oil cooler hoses. Found a hole above the oil cooler junctions. Does anyone know what itís for?

Old 03-08-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like that hole was part of the oil pressure system. However it filled in on this engine. It goes nowhere.
Got the ps done, radiator and transmission cooler lines. However 87 and 89 hoses are different. Which is better? Transmission front seal tc and bearing holder are also done, half shafts rebooted and installed.
Next week engine rear main seal, fuel system, I should have the tt bearing sleeves too.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
I got new bearing sleeves but they are quite loose. Should they be?
Old 03-22-2018, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Blackseard bearing appear to not have a very tight clamp on the shaft given the grooved/pronged inner sleeve. The mechanics here I ask all say it should be loose and will work when necessary if the shaft heats up. Iíll slap it together and see what happens.
Btw, while installing the torque converter with housing I greased the seal and carefully slid the TC in while turning it. I felt the prongs slot in but it cover didnít sit flush with the transmission housing. As I snugged the bolts down it eventually seated flush but not the TC/transmission it wonít turn by hand. Is that normal?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: