Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
The spare engine only has 87,000km on it but i have no idea of its history. Should I do the head gaskets and valve seals as preventative maintenance or just install it and run it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2018, 01:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)

Do you feel lucky at this point?
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 08-25-2018, 08:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Garage
The harder I work the luckier I get. So I guess itís heads off funds permitting.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Garage
pretty difficult to remove heads with engine in car - way easier with it out - so if you have extra time and extra money i'd do it now
Old 08-26-2018, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)

Garage
The spare engine is out. Itís on my garage floor. Iíll need a engine hoist to put it on a stand I just bought. Guess I can pull the heads as it sits then the block should be light enough for me to lift onto the stand. I wonder if I need any special tools?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)

Garage
i'd rent an engine crane - get it on the stand do the work then you'll need to rent it again to remove current engine and install the spare - that block will still be plenty heavy with heads removed - i can't remember if the head bolts are anything special but you'll need a set of long (5-6 inch) hex socket bits for the covers - be careful loosening those because if one of those bolt holes rounds out you'll have to take a drill to it - i went through that on a 944 - no fun
Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the suggestion. Iíve pulled valve covers on 944s of all types. Iíve rebuilt my 930 and a Lancia Delta Integrale so I guess the 928 is with in my grasp. The difference is this time Iím doing it at home and not at a shop. I can borrow most of tools. But donít know if they have the 928 tools for cam setting and Iím worried about pulling the cams. I have read a lot about stripped or broken nuts and bolts.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)

I believe that most broken cam cover bolts are on 85-86 engines. The S4 bolts are made differently.

Obviously, cam tools would be great, but I've seen it done without them. Slow, deliberate, and a little bit at a time were the optimal words I would use. Everything was fine upon removal.

I would recommend a hoist as well for the heavy S.O.B.

Last edited by stepson; 08-27-2018 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: add
Old 08-27-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)

Garage
Grain Fed -

Hey Rufrob - If you have successfully set up the cam timing during a 930 rebuild - the twin cam heads on a 32 valve 928 should be very doable. As already recommended - trying to manhandle a 928 block without a hoist and engine stand will require a team of large grain fed assistants - and someone to supervise the cussing..... 監督する 呪い

Good Luck - Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 08-27-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

Garage
good Japanese.
Found out my favorite Porsche shop here doesnít have any 928 tools. Most shops here are deathly afraid of the 928. I know they do have a spring compressor.
Question is can I replace the valve seals without the special tool?

Old 09-02-2018, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)

Garage
Valve Spring Tool -

Hey Rufrob - There are many inexpensive, generic valve spring compression tools available that will allow you to disassemble your 928 heads. Here is one -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Engine-Overhead-Valve-Spring-Remover-Installer-OHV-OHC-Compressor-Tool-Set-H-/282510244261

While working to breath some life back into a 1988 928 that had been parked for years I've even replaced a set of crusty/decomposing valve stem seals while the heads remained bolted to the block. I don't recommend this but at the time I was trying to determine the initial condition of the motor - Although the cylinder compression was good - it smoked like a diesel tractor pulling stumps when running.

1 Disassemble and remove the cam assemblies -
2 With the spark plugs removed place a soft rag (string attached) into a cylinder
3 Use the crankshaft bolt to slowly bring the piston to the top of it's travel
4 Attach the valve spring compression tool to the top of the head
5 Remove one of the valve spring retaining assemblies of the selected cylinder
6 Install new valve stem seal
7 Repeat for each intake and exhaust valve

Good Luck - Michael
Old 09-04-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Michael.
You make it sound easy. I do plan to pull the heads, give the valves and heads a proper cleaning. Iím guessing with the heads off and on the dinning room table and nice dish rag under the valves will suffice?
I guess I shouldnít panic having done my 930. But as I mentioned the 930 was done at a fully equipped shop and this 928 is my first home job. I plan to pull the heads this weekend.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)

Garage
Slow and Careful -

Hey Rufrob - Like others have mentioned before, if it was easy to get a 928 back up on it's feet, everyone would be driving one. Make sure to put a good layer of plastic and old towels down on your dining room table so the heads don't scratch anything. Your long suffering wife must be like mine and have a very good sense of humor.

Our laundry room floor still has some marks left from when I rebuilt a motor one winter. Those roll-a-way mobile engine stands are pretty heavy with an engine hung off the end of it. Laying a sheet of plywood under the wheels cuts down on the grooves in the floor considerably......

Honerboys and Stepson are right on target - just take it slow and careful and you'll be fine.

Please keep us posted and Good Luck - Michael
Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)

Garage
Cleaning up the spare engine.
Wow itís dirty.

Never seen this before. Broken water pump vanes. Most of it was sitting at the opening.
Think Iíll do one side at a time. Less confusion and parts scatter.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)

You should be able to use a magnet to get those WP impeller parts out of your engine.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)

Garage
Itís a composite. Not metal.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)

Sorry. The rust threw me off.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)

Garage
Got a lot done today. Lots of cleaning,
Right head off.
Engine oil jet black with no water or metal.

Guess I found the source of at least one oil leak.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)

Garage
Nikasil Cylinders -

Hey Rufrob - It is never a good sign to open up the water pump cavity to find it's impeller broken into pieces. A serious high temp cycle can cause all sorts of problems for an aluminum 928 engine. The problem now is to assess the usable status of everything. Especially whether the unsleeved, silicon alloy engine block can be saved. I've read about a special process to over bore and re-etch the Nikasil cylinders to bring the silicon crystals back out as a wear surface again. There are much more experienced engine builders here that can probably make some recommendations to help you decide on your options at this point.

Good Luck, Michael
Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #179 (permalink)

Garage
Thank for the info. Looks like no pieces went into the motor. God knows how long the engine sat but Iím guessing since the earthquake and tsunami. The head and block show no warpage. I put a straight edge across it
Old 09-18-2018, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #180 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: