Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

The grounds for the fuel injection on your year model are on the side of the passenger side cam cover.

For replacement hose on the top of the injectors, use 50mm of 30R9 hose and appropriate hose clamps
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Okay, back to basics. I read another post on this forum last night about a car doing something like what my car is doing. The ending problem was the distributor rotor was set up wrong. This car also wouldn't turn over with starting fluid. My question is the first distributor rotor should point to the #1 spark plug lead in the cap at TDC. Where should the second dizzy rotor point to at TDC? Just going back over some stuff. I cleaned the grounds on top of the cam already.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

There are very short marks built into each distributor up at the edge where the cap sits on the housing. The rotors should point there for each one at TDC. I'm at work or I would shoot you a picture.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Here is a thread on RL about it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/928-forum/110096d1144672948-tech-help-little-oops-with-the-dual-distributor-on-the-euro-capture_092.jpg

Just a thought: Make sure the coil wires are going to the correct distributor
Old 05-09-2017, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I'm just going to post some pictures to show what I looked at and did today. The two cam housing grounds are clean. I took them apart, cleaned the connectors and bolts with a Dremel as well as the cam facing, and the heater hose bracket sitting on the cam. Both cams are still in time with TDC. At TDC the two distributors are aligned as seen in the photos. Car still fires well, and yes the coils are hooked up to the correct dizzy as the car won't fire at all if they are not. Still trying to find a noid light in my dad's shop. I need to get under the dash and clean the grounds down there better, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to get into the floorboard because I can't physically look up. PITA city for me. I'm considering just popping the passengers seat out and having a bed inn in the floorboard for a while.
Another question. I read somewhere that the oil pump gear can get out of time with the crank and cause a distributor problem? Stepson, can you explain that? I'm going to go ahead and remove the other fuel rail for injector cleaning tomorrow. I figure it will be good to at least try to get all the fuel injector connections clean. Photos of the grounds, etc.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Here is the harmonic balancer of the Stepson showing it at TDC. Here also are pictures of the Stepson's distributor showing the rotor positions at TDC. I believe that your distributor is mistimed and that may be the problem with your engine.

From your pictures, and what you have told us, you would have compression, fuel, and ignition......but not at the same time.

Last edited by stepson; 05-09-2017 at 09:16 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Engineer of profanity

Garage
Yep, now I can see the photos side by side. Maybe we've found the problem. I'll report back tomorrow what she sounds like cranking with the dizzies in time. When I read another post the other day it turned out that the car in questions distributor was found to be out of time. Everyone who has heard this car turn over including me has thought it was out of time. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 05-09-2017 at 10:11 PM..
Old 05-09-2017, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

It's still good that you cleaned the injectors....that removes them as a potential cause of your problem.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

..several hundred people await your turn of the key.

'82 US 5-spd
Old 05-10-2017, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Okay, still no start, but I may have caused other problems with built up starting fluid in the intake. Today I reset the distributor on TDC to match the photo that Stepson provided. Both cams are still dead on in time with the crank. I go to turn over the key and within two rotations the airbox popped from all the built up starting fluid. I guess that means its firing the fuel now, but the odd thing is that now the car seems to not be firing as good as it was when the dizzy was set wrong, and the engine has a definite slow spot when I turn it over. At the slow spot the engine makes a pronounced hiss sound. Like "ssssss" and then it keeps turning over. Like the battery is going bad, or the starter is not working right, but the battery is good and I charged it today. It's kind of like when a diesel is cold and you use too much starting fluid. I hope I didn't burn rings or something when the car fired the starting fluid that was built up from the many times I've tried to use it before. It was a pretty loud explosion, but it did not hurt the airbox. I'm including photos, but still can't seem to understand why the car seemed to chug over better and fire with the dizzy set wrong. Now the engine seems to have a strange dead spot and a hiss on rotation.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Also I've noticed that dizzy two up front doesn't seem to be set exactly right with dizzy one between the belt. I may still not have the distributors setup correctly. This was about the closest I could get it. I may try again tomorrow.
Stepson said it best when he asked who might have misinstalled these parts and why? It looks like it was done on purpose. The cams were completely out of time and the distributor is set wrong. I think if anything this should be an indication not to let just anyone work on your car.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 05-10-2017 at 07:45 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924CarreraGTP View Post
Also I've noticed that dizzy two up front doesn't seem to be set exactly right with dizzy one between the belt. I may still not have the distributors setup correctly. This was about the closest I could get it. I may try again tomorrow.
It's not hard at all to synch the 2 rotors, but some disassembly is required. It's really pretty intuitive. Caution: Don't try to stretch the little belt between rotors. It doesn't.
Just disassemble down to the point that you can slide the belt off the gears, line the rotors up, reinstall the belt, and reassemble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924CarreraGTP View Post
Stepson said it best when he asked who might have misinstalled these parts and why? It looks like it was done on purpose. The cams were completely out of time and the distributor is set wrong. I think if anything this should be an indication not to let just anyone work on your car.
+928
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
i'm not familiar with the twin dizzy at all - so is there a timing adjustment on these? - or is it handled electronically - the loud pop seems to me to be the plugs firing early
Old 05-11-2017, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Chasing your Tail -

Hey 924 - You should stop using starter fluid to do your troubleshooting........ A brief whiff is only recommended as a quick test to initially help determine whether a spark is present.

At this point if you are satisfied with your external injector cleaning process - verify that your fuel injector computer is triggering all your injectors when installed - get a NOID Light if necessary......
The injectors are fired in groups which generates a static fog of fuel vapor. There is not a very tightly regulated firing order like the timed ignition. This general mist of fuel vapor just sits above each of the intake valves waiting for them to be opened.

Then do a leak down test - to determine if the hiss you mentioned is escaping compression past the valves.

Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 05-11-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honerboys View Post
i'm not familiar with the twin dizzy at all - so is there a timing adjustment on these? - or is it handled electronically - the loud pop seems to me to be the plugs firing early
The twin dizzy is electronic, so most of the adjustment is done electronically. However, the two rotors must be set up correctly 180 degrees opposite each other, and all the marks on the distributor must line up correctly.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
make sure the rotors are each pointing to the respective hash marks if you dont know when the dizzy belt was changed then order a new belt and swap it in this is done on the workbench set the engine at TDC prior to dizzy removal.
NOTE if your dizzy is timed correctly then the engine should run if not then the rotors are not correctly timed OR you have the left and right coil wires swapped,
if the wires are swapped then the engine will not run
Old 05-11-2017, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by honerboys View Post
Exactly this, but the good news is that SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!
The distributors were out of phase and after I lined them up and set dizzy 1 to it's mark, the car fired right up on the first try. I've had it ticking over a total of three times now with one rev up. It sounds awesome and is running on all cylinders.

I'm NOT going to rev the engine up much yet or run it and risk popping the old sorry timing belt. I'm now going to move the car into my shop, change out the timing belt, and check some things. The previous jerk water mechanics removed the transmission in order to drive out and replace the crank sensor. So I'm going to make sure the tranny has fluid and they didn't drain it all before trying to shift the car. Also I'm going to make sure they installed the trans correctly and tightened everything. Also the car really needs at least three tires to be driven, so I'm going to have to sort out a lot of things before I start racing.
The list goes on and on, but the most important thing is that the old motor sounds great. Somebody at some point removed the dizzy and set it wrong to render this car inoperable on purpose. I don't know who or why, but that's certainly what it looks like. When I first loosened the dizzy housing bolt it was only hand tight.

Shy of the bad LH I think I could have fixed this car in approx. 15 minutes if I had known about the distributor being out of time. I guess it took me a little while to set the cams in time, but not long. I'm going to have to upload a video to youtube, but I'll try to get a video of the car running on here soon.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 05-11-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Old 05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Some pics from yesterday after a wash. I'm going to try to do this 928 as an ongoing project for you guys to see. I'll try to get the video up soon.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Damn!! That's a good looking car!!
Old 05-11-2017, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I'm just letting it run for a sec and shutting it off. The fan is not on it and there's not much antifreeze in it. Plus the timing belt needs to be replaced.
https://youtu.be/JrmOdOc-BTs
Old 05-11-2017, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: