Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Thanks everyone for the tips. JK McDonald, I believe that it probably is a hose. Someone has done some hose replacements on it before because the clamps are incorrect on the fuel line for the fuel tank sender and other places.
Right now I'm waiting on a couple of parts to finish my timing belt project.
Also, the over heating issue was figured out before the car went down for the timing belt replacement. The fan belt had become loose and was not cooling the engine. So that part is figured out and the car was running great at the perfect temp before I started the belt replacement.
Good call on the oring in the throttle body Stepson. I should have done that while the intake was out. I'll manage though.
I spoke to another English S2 owner today about a cutout or "misfire" on his car at around 3700rpm. Pretty close to where my hesitation is also. His mechanics have found that his alternator voltage is dropping and could be causing the problem. My alternator is also not charging correctly. So this might be part of my problem as well. I think I do have a Huco voltage regulator for this alternator somewhere. I bought it for my '84 U.S. car years ago. So I might have a quick fix for it. If not there's a local alternator shop that does good work.
I'll probably go ahead and start digging into that while the belts are out and I'm waiting on parts.
You guys have been massively helpful though. Thanks to all including Stepson for the very usable and needed parts.
I'm considering doing a gofund me for this car. After adding up everything it would take to make this car perfect I would be at $4800.
I have two small children, a spinal disease, and two other junky old Porsches so its going to be a long slow process.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 12-05-2017 at 12:51 AM..
Old 12-05-2017, 12:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #101 (permalink)

That big O ring is super easy to remove and reinstall. All you need to do is remove the airbox, pull the MAF out, grab the old O ring and remove it and fit the new one back in it's place. Easy Peasy
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 12-05-2017, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #102 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
After visiting an alternator shop and finding out my voltage regulator was faulty, I looked through my old electronic parts and found a working bosch regulator. I installed it in the alternator and put the car back together with a fresh gates timing belt. The car is now running even better and charging at 13.5 volts. I should be able to at least take the car for a longer drive now.
Next is to tackle the fuel tank and replace the hoses. I've also got some Denso W20EP-U spark plugs ordered. I think the copper u-groove plugs will be a nice replacement for the original Bosch W7D. I also happen to like Denso plugs in 944's and 928's.
I also need to troubleshoot why my drivers side tailight is not working. Other than that this project is golden.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924CarreraGTP View Post
I also need to troubleshoot why my drivers side tailight is not working.
Start with the bulb Make sure to replace both sides with new/same brand bulbs at the same time.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #104 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepson View Post
Start with the bulb Make sure to replace both sides with new/same brand bulbs at the same time.
I did just that with no success. I did get the blinkers working and reverse lights, but just one tailight works.
The bulb socket was corroded, and I cleaned it with the dremmel, but I still can't get a bulb to power up. Its possible that the fuse might still be furred over. I did not replace it, but spun it in hopes of it making contact.
I'll stand on my head and replace it, but that's not the only problem. The blinkers don't work unless the blinker bulb on the right rear is grounded to the rear tailight socket.
This was how I found it and I had to put it back the same way for the blinkers to continue to work. ???
So I'm thinking it's got some wiring issues at the rear. I'll figure it out. Probably just ground problems.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 12-22-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Old 12-22-2017, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #105 (permalink)

Garage
see if power is even reaching the drivers tail light with a multimeter first - as for the grounding on the directional light ..all these lights should be grounded so it sounds to me like there are issues inside the actual tail light housings - unfortunately these are mounted from the inside and i've found access difficult without removing rear bumper - also look at the connectors tucked behind the interior side panels in front of right side tail lights - i had a single pin come out of that connector - again access is difficult without removing the side panel but can be done by CAREFULLY bending side panel out slightly after removing tool kit and that hold down and i think some screws from side panel itself - need thin arms and lots of light
Old 12-23-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #106 (permalink)

There is a ground underneath the right rear quarter panel at the back. It's a witch with a b to get to.

Is the light socket actually getting power?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #107 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
I haven't had a chance to fool with it. Maybe this weekend. I got the plugs and a new alternator belt. Moving along...
Old 01-11-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 924CarreraGTP View Post
I haven't had a chance to fool with it.
Slacker
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #109 (permalink)
Engineer of profanity

Garage
So I got the taillights working. All blinkers, side markers, and headlights are working, but it got dark on me and the reverse lights are not working yet. I haven't messed with the fuse, but will next time. I'm driving the car a little more now.

Last edited by 924CarreraGTP; 01-28-2018 at 04:54 PM..
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #110 (permalink)

They really do like to be driven.

I drove my GTS yesterday. I hope it enjoyed being driven even half as much as I enjoyed driving it. Damn, what a car!!
Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #111 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: