Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
New Dentures!

A wrenching choice today: pull the head off the grocery getter... Or.

So, I installed a new to me grill. Looks pretty good, it's nice having a shark with teeth (0:,'

I have a question about the spoiler: there are tabs along the front that appear to line up with the grill mounting tabs. Is it supposed to attach to the grill? The grill seems so fragile, plus held to the uprights with those puny 4mm bolts... I can see that if the two are connected, whacking an object with the spoiler would take out the grill too?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Grill

The vertical grill supports do attach to the spoiler. On a below zero day in Chicago some years ago, while leaving my driveway, the plastic vertical supports broke off. I guess the flexing of the spoiler, and the cold weather caused the plastic to break.
Like you I noticed how fragile these pieces were, so I fabricated new vertical grill supports from aluminum. Now they won't break again.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Did you CNC them? Do you have a .dxf you wouldn't mind sharing?

If not, maybe I'll do the same. I was thinking this morning that I could design a beefier set that could either be 3D printed or vacuformed at low cost. -There are some really good spools of Carbon Fiber filaments now for 3d printers that cost less than $50/

Aluminum sounds great.

What about a solution that separates the two? A simple plate that extends the chin underneath the grill that the spoiler can bolt to?

Last edited by Mal81; 03-26-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Old 03-26-2017, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Grill

Nothing fancy, just used aluminum bar stock purchased from McMaster-Carr, and welded the parts together, using the broken plastic parts as a model. I felt the aluminum was the best solution for a strong, non-corrosive, and inexpensive replacement.
I have TIG welding equipment, so the fabrication was not a problem.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: