Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1985 Porsche 928s

1985 Cooling

I have a 1985 928 32v. I had not replaced the lower fan shroud or undertray after doing some engine work, so my car tended to overheat when not moving. It was fine as long as there was good airflow, but the temperature gauge would creep up pretty quickly if I got stuck in traffic. I put he lower fan shroud and undertray back on and it seems much better. However, Iím not entirely at ease with whatís going on.

The temperature gauge itself registers just below the first line when moving and creeps up to just above the first line when stopped, which seems reasonable. However, the temperature warning light at the top of the gauge will come on and stay on for quite a long time. I have read that, in later models, the light and the gauge are controlled separately, so I donít know which one to rely on.

I have only been aware of my electric fan coming on once or twice in the past, when I put the car in the garage after a long drive. I need some help on determining (a) if the car is, in fact, running hot, and (b) how to troubleshoot my electric fan. Much of the information out there is for later models so Iíd appreciate information specific to my Ď85.

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I know guys will forgive me!
Old 07-27-2017, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Use a infrared gun to correctly measure your radiator (and ie your engine) temps.

Please post your results
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 07-27-2017, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
1985 Porsche 928s

Thanks guys. I have an IR gun on loan and will do some measuring when I next go for a drive.

I jumpered the connectors at the plug for the thermo switch (radiator, lower driver's side) and the fan comes on when the key is turned, so I assume all fuses and relays are working. Possibly a bad switch or dirty contacts. I'll test it when the engine is hot. Once the fan is kicking in as it should we'll see what the gauge and light do.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

1985 should still have an engine driven fan, has yours been removed?
Old 07-31-2017, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

928 temperature gauges are notoriously inaccurate. That's why I suggested the IR gun to find out what is truly going on with the temperature of your coolant and engine.
Indishrot 1984 Euro S AT (The Stepson)
Black Metallic 1984 Euro S 5 speed (The Schwartz)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5l32v4c View Post
I have a 1985 928 32v. I had not replaced the lower fan shroud or undertray after doing some engine work, so my car tended to overheat when not moving. It was fine as long as there was good airflow, but the temperature gauge would creep up pretty quickly if I got stuck in traffic. I put he lower fan shroud and undertray back on and it seems much better. However, Iím not entirely at ease with whatís going on.

The temperature gauge itself registers just below the first line when moving and creeps up to just above the first line when stopped, which seems reasonable. However, the temperature warning light at the top of the gauge will come on and stay on for quite a long time. I have read that, in later models, the light and the gauge are controlled separately, so I donít know which one to rely on.

I have only been aware of my electric fan coming on once or twice in the past, when I put the car in the garage after a long drive. I need some help on determining (a) if the car is, in fact, running hot, and (b) how to troubleshoot my electric fan. Much of the information out there is for later models so Iíd appreciate information specific to my Ď85.

Apologies if this has been covered already, but I know guys will forgive me!
Well,I would suggest that you try using an infared gun through the raditor and find out what's the matter with temperature of your engine and its coolant.This is because in most cases,'85's temp. gauges are known to be somehow inaccurate.Maybe to ask,once you put your car in the garage and discovered that it continues to run hot,what measure have you employed?See,it happens.If that's the case from your end as well,then I bet you gotta consider investing in a quality garage fan.https://comparily.com/best-garage-fans/ are totally okay and what I personally use.Take it this way,just like you crave for a rest and probably a cool massage after a tidious work day,your car also literally needs such treatment.The garage fan may make the difference.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: