Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

While I am waiting for the trans to come back, I decided to make a shroud for the firewall to hide a lot of the plumbing.
I fabed up some Zeus fastener brackets that just bolt onto the fire wall and then made a cardboard template and once happy with fit and look, transferred over to aluminum and added some flared dimple holes, which I am going to add a mesh behind in a Matt black finish. Will paint shroud in color of the car.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #301 (permalink)

Garage
Blagave, thanks so much for sharing your build with us. Your ideas and work are amazing!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #302 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal81 View Post
Blagave, thanks so much for sharing your build with us. Your ideas and work are amazing!
Thanks, the forum gives to everyone and when you can share and give back, it makes it that much better.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #303 (permalink)

So once again, I have some down time and after both Tony and Dinsdale poking me to upgrade the brakes, I pulled the trigger and purchased the Wildwood calipers per XSCHOP write up. Dinsdale was very generous and kind to send me one side of front and rear mounts, so I could have a friend duplicate.
I am waiting for the machined parts, but in the meantime, I received the front calipers and ordered Porsche brake vynel decals, so I could get rid of the Wildwood logo and install the Porsche logo. I was able to find a high temp gray metallic paint to repaint the caliper and purchased a few different colors of high temp paint for the logo. I went with a muted silver.....I want a subdued look.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #304 (permalink)

Before and after pictures of engine bay.

I have gone down a slippery slope with building the firewall cover. Now everything else looks bad. I smooothed out the welds on the power steering resivor and painted along with radiator tank and washer fill tube. Now the wiring and hoses over the wheel wells are stairing me in the eyes. Really need to get my trans back so I can drive the car Instead of redoing stuff.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #305 (permalink)

Good news, trans, diff and torque turbe are on there way. Should have everything on Friday.
Meantime.....good old 77tony got me moving on building the chassis stiffener on my todo list.
The over all height is the same or less than stock. I made it a bit bigger by dropping the sides downward. The stiffener is boxed in with added stiffeners on inside and weighs more than stock, but is very strong. Iím just not sure if I like or not .....going to let it sit for a bit to see if it grows on me or not.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #306 (permalink)

Good day, received the trans and torque tube. Unfortunately, for some reason my request was ignored on rebuilding my trans and instead they built another core off there shelf. The only negative is the hours I spent modifying my trans for the mounts. In addition, RPM sent a complete new torque tube along with the one I sent. I never got clarity on why, but will be installing the new tube sent.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #307 (permalink)

Got everything back in the car. Andy from A&A Corvette came buy and spent a few hours putting a tune in the car. We bumped the fuel psi to 60 and he had to play around with maff air flow, due to the shape of my intake and location of the sensor, it takes some tuning to get right. In the end Andy gave me a break in tune, so I do t hurt anything. The break in tune is INSANE.......3rd get at 40, hit the throttle and light the tires up. I only drove the car for 45 minutes or so today and it was an absolute blast. Knock on wood, everything is working and the car handles, drives, shifts etc. wonderfully. Still have a list of pickup items and need to get the ac charged, but at least I can drive the car and start enjoying. Will do full dyno tune in Sept.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #308 (permalink)

Latest update where the build is. I drive the car everyday looking for issues, which there are many. I forgot to connect the reverse lockout connector on trans restall and of course the connector is on top of the trans in an area almost impossible to get by your hands. After an hour of trying and blood drawn, I called the neighbor kid with small hands, after showing him the connector through a video snake, he snapped on in 10 minutes otherwise I was looking at another trans drop.
Next, have come to find out that when I get a whopping 3lbs of boost, you would think the spac shuttle was taking off, sound wise. The exhaust tips are like a instrument and the amount of air being forced out makes a loud shreking sound. Ends up there was some miscommunication between me and my buddy that I asked how to build the exhaust. He says I never mentioned the blower I did....long story short 3Ē is not enough and now will be rebuilding with twin 2 1/2....... 3Ē is preferable, but the room is questionable.
I had the AC charged and since I deleted the condenser fan, it was determined that I need to wire the radiator fans to come on with the AC. The AC blows cold when the fans are running, but over heat the system and blew the oil out when the fans werenít on just another learning experience.
Added a bunch of heat shield and wrap to exhaust and engine bay.
For the guys wondering about a modification to this extent, there are always going to be issues to rbe solved and reworked, really isnít a negative, just issues needing attention. My point is, donít get stressed out, itís part of the journey. I expect a couple months of a shack down before this car is as good and reliable as any new Porsche you drive every day.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #309 (permalink)

Garage
Por-Vette

Hey Blagave - What a tremendous project. You are a true connoisseur of excellence and I'm sure every one agrees this has to be one of the most professional and best documented power train upgrades on record. The only thing missing as you put the final touches on your Por-Vette is a name. Something low key for this sleeper like "Ethel" - As in "Don't Look"

Well Done - Michael
Old 08-24-2018, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #310 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Blagave - What a tremendous project. You are a true connoisseur of excellence and I'm sure every one agrees this has to be one of the most professional and best documented power train upgrades on record. The only thing missing as you put the final touches on your Por-Vette is a name. Something low key for this sleeper like "Ethel" - As in "Don't Look"

Well Done - Michael
Thank you Michael for the kind words and suggestion on a badge name for the car..
I haven't kept up with posting, nor had much time to work on the car, but will catch up soon.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #311 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: