Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 928 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Came across something a bit unusal to me. I could be wrong, but this looks like a piece of garden hose coming out of the brake reservoir and the hose clamp is not oem. I will replace once I remove, just thought it was a bit strange, since the rest of the car seems to have been untouched and some what well maintained.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam928 View Post
Really enjoying all the info, keep it coming! Nothing wrong with putting a car in a place where you want it, my 83s looks like an s4, been messed about with, enjoyed, but haven't the money/skills, to put an ls motor in it!!!
Thank you and AirtekHVAC for the positive comments, I will keep pictures and details coming

Old 08-27-2017, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Kool

Garage
That connection is for the blue hose that connects to the clutch master....it is a known failure point.

Shouldn't be a garden hose....
1978 5sp (#30) project-Wreckscue
1979 5sp Euro basket case
1982 5sp resto project
(Yes, I now have 3 project Sharks)
Old 08-27-2017, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirtekHVAC View Post
That connection is for the blue hose that connects to the clutch master....it is a known failure point.

Shouldn't be a garden hose....
Thank you for the information, I will see what is available and replace
Old 08-27-2017, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

i was tired of cleaning parts, so decided to put the accessory kit on on the LS3 motor, so it will be ready to mock up once I get the parts in from 928 international and Renegade.
Install consisted of power steering pump, alternator, AC, brackets and belts. The kit comes with everything and has easy instructions with all the parts and bolts numbered.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
LS3 - Install

Hey Blagave, Great pictures documenting your progress. I've read really good things about the Chevy LS install kit$. Personally, although the complete change over from a Porsche V8 to an LS3/6 speed trans-axle set up would be more trouble than I'd want to deal with, they sure are a pretty impressive combination. Are you going to have the cylinder shut down option available during low load highway cruising ?

Another good side of your drive train swap after the dust settles is that there will be a complete 928 engine, transmission and other assorted parts available to breath life back into someone's high mileage or blown head gasket project.

Michael
Old 08-29-2017, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
I love everything about this. It just metal I don't know why anyone even cares about what someone else is doing. I see nothing wrong with adding a motor that makes hp and a tranny that doesn't shift like crap. A little tip for next time. Buy a hot plate or steal one from the kitchen and heat the wheel carrier to a couple hundred degrees. The bearings go in and out way easier.

Last edited by Pete R; 08-29-2017 at 09:12 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK McDonald View Post
Hey Blagave, Great pictures documenting your progress. I've read really good things about the Chevy LS install kit$. Personally, although the complete change over from a Porsche V8 to an LS3/6 speed trans-axle set up would be more trouble than I'd want to deal with, they sure are a pretty impressive combination. Are you going to have the cylinder shut down option available during low load highway cruising ?

Another good side of your drive train swap after the dust settles is that there will be a complete 928 engine, transmission and other assorted parts available to breath life back into someone's high mileage or blown head gasket project.

Michael
JK, I agree there is some hours involved in the swap, but really isn't much more than pulling motor and trans for refreshing in an older 928. My guess, is the cost to rebuild a 928 engine and trans, is comparable in price to buying used Z06 rear end and new LS crate engine. I would say that added cost of $10,000 is on the very high side for the conversion kits and misc hardware to marry everything. In the end, you have a drive train that will be bullet proof and very inexpensive to maintain. I also see others reasoning that a well maintained stock 928 will last just as long.

Yes, I will be selling the 928 motor and drive train which was all in good working condition, but have no history on timing belts on other maintenance

Last edited by Blagave; 08-29-2017 at 09:41 AM..
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete R View Post
I love everything about this. It just metal I don't know why anyone even cares about what someone else is doing. I see nothing wrong with adding a motor that makes hp and a tranny that doesn't shift like crap. A little tip for next time. Buy a hot plate or steal one from the kitchen and heat the wheel carrier to a couple hundred degrees. The bearings go in and out way easier.
Thanks Pete for the bearing tip. I had heard hot plate technique before, but was worried about the bearing seals melting. Sounds like they don't.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Removed tie rods off steering rack, so I could start cleaning and get ready for rebuild. Suggestion would be to break loose while rack is still bolted on car, just easier.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Started removing lines from underside of car and determined I need to drop the tank. I got a little side tracked and removed things out of order and left the pump wiring to last, which should have been first. It all worked out, but would have been easier to drain the last few gallons and disconnect wiring first. There are 4 bolts holding the strap around the tank. Another bolt behind the rubber boot of gas filler. Under the carpet in the rear is a rubber plug, remove that and disconnect wire and vent hose. There is another hose in the passenger rear wheel well and one more on top of the tank which does not have access until you drop the tank. This same hose connect to the back side of the filler neck.

I will be replacing the rubber breather lines and possible the fuel pump and filter with aeromotive

Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Wow! Amazing build thread. You must live on caffeine, Sir.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal81 View Post
Wow! Amazing build thread. You must live on caffeine, Sir.
Thanks Mal81.
Taking things apart goes fast, its the cleaning, rebuilding and putting back together that takes the time.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
E-85 sippin drunk

I think this is awesome! screw the purists!!!!! Sub'ed Definitely, will be following this build. Too bad I was not closer, or I would show up to help out!!

Brad
Brad...930 gt-1 racecar, increased displacement to 3.6L, JB racing Cylinders, JE 8 to1 pistons, stroked crank, Carrillo rods, extrudehoned 3.2L intake, full bay Bell I/C, GT-2 EVO cams, Rarly8 headers, GTX-35RS turbo, twin plug, P&P heads, Link G4 EFi system, G-50/50 with LTD slip and oil squirters/oil cooler, zork tube, full race coilover system, with carbon fiber body, full cage, E-85 sippin drunk
Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrat930 View Post
I think this is awesome! screw the purists!!!!! Sub'ed Definitely, will be following this build. Too bad I was not closer, or I would show up to help out!!

Brad
Thanks Brad for the positive feedback
Old 08-30-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Network Native

Magic bullet is the eRod engine, its CARB legal with EQ#, that must have cost eRod a pretty penny, as they appear to be the only one to have done it.

Chevy Performance E-ROD LS3 6.2L 430HP Crate Engine | JEGS

$8329 complete with GM warranty.

What should be the "fun" part is getting all the electricals and gauges working happily.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post
Magic bullet is the eRod engine, its CARB legal with EQ#, that must have cost eRod a pretty penny, as they appear to be the only one to have done it.

Chevy Performance E-ROD LS3 6.2L 430HP Crate Engine | JEGS

$8329 complete with GM warranty.

What should be the "fun" part is getting all the electricals and gauges working happily.
You are correct on the pricing and that does not come with the accessory kit ( AC, alt. Pwr Steering & brackets) the kit is another $795.
I bought a brand new LS3 crate motor that will be getting twin turbos for my sand car and I was going to take the LS1 out of the sand car and put in the 928 and then came across a brand new LS3 E-Rod on Craigslist. The seller was building a bronco for the past year and decided to scrap the project. The motor was used only as a mock up and none of the boxes that came with the package had been opened. I made a low ball offer and he took it, so i hurried over and picked it up.
As far as the electrical gauges working, Renegade Hybrids sells oil temp, water temp sensors that are plug and play with the 928 electrical. The speedo will use a GPS sender that I am getting from 928 Motorsports.
I know there will be some additional electrical items that will need to be addressed and I have a very good friend that is very sharp on electrical and have already spoken to about getting his help when the time comes.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Finished removing all the fuel lines, brake lines and electrical from underside. The brackets that hold the lines on take some time to remove so not to damage. Every time I thought I was done there was something else to remove. All in all everything removed is in good condition. Just need to replace the rubber hoses.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Removed power brake booster and clutch cyclinder, along with firewall insulation. Started to remove the remainder of the wiring harness and had to stop. Need to read up on headlight system removeal.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Can someone tell me what the white and black vacuum lines connect too
Old 08-31-2017, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: